Link: Baylor's New On Campus Stadium

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
Thanks for posting the updated pics of how far construction is coming along JohnS..I think it will be one of the best stadiums in college football once it's completed..

And just out of curiosity..Does that river flood very often, I wonder if that will be a problem, cause during "Tornado Season" those storms can dump a tremendous amount of rain in a short amount of time..

Two dams to the north and one just south of the stadium can control the Brazos within a few inches.

Central texas does have a lot of packed earth though which means as soon as it starts raining heavily it doesn't really soak in, just sits there for awhile. A drainage system was installed around the stadium in consideration of this.

Ohh and as we get closer to football season if I have any spare season tickets of mine or can grab a few extras you are more than welcome to be my guest at one of the games if you are interested.

Sidenote, From that aerial shot you can see the track stadium that was approved shortly after the stadium project begun and will be completed by the end of the year.

The old stadium and track facility was simply cheaper in the late 1940's to build 3 miles from campus verus anywhere adjacent. (City incentives, land was empty, etc)

In 2014 football, track, basketball, tennis, baseball, softball, soccer, and equestrian will all be nicely lined up on either side of the river.

Satelite photo for refrence

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
It looks good, but it is too small. If you want to be mediocre, don't build a new stadium; if you want to compete, build a larger one. Winning attracts people. Build to win. At least it should have been 70000, or don't build it at all. Note to recruits; we just built a great new stadium; 45,000. It is just a hard sell if you want to jump up for good against the competition. Briles gives you a competitive edge. If he leaves, the new stadium gives you none.
It can be refitted into a larger stadium than the old in between seasons.

12,918 students at Baylor. Huge population for us compared to just a few decades ago. That means there isn't a large number of alums.

Trust me, there were enough arguments on our side about a larger stadium being needed.

Less than 4 years ago before I graduated a new stadium in itself was unthinkable. I am fine with seeing how things turn out before making a final decision.

Pro football team 90 minutes north, another pro football team 180 minutes south. Tamu 90 minutes southeast. Ut 90 minutes south. Lots of options for football fans in our neck of the woods.

The new stadium will have the second largest screen per attendee in the country. A bazillion more amenities than our 63 year old stadium. Our athletic department and board of trustees are definitely gambling on the trend of comfort over quantity to continue. We shall see. As I've said elsewhere, hard to compete with 60inch HD tv's (cheaper for most fans). Though they are trying with a country club restaurant that is open year round inside the stadium, and so on.

Briles is turning 60 soon, just signed a 10 year contract with Baylor. His wife has a business downtown named after the bears. His son works for us. His daughter works at the business downtown. he has never been outside the state of Texas for more than a week or so... So unless UT gets rid of Strong in the next few years... I think he will have to "settle" on having a bronze statue of himself outside of the stadium next to Grant Teaff's.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I appreciate the offer & may take you up on that..I have a heart condition & am on a heart transplant list..It depends on how I feel & if my doctors will allow me to do it or thinks it would be safe for me to do it..I would absolutely love to come see it in person..I will let you know when it gets closer to football season..
Two dams to the north and one just south of the stadium can control the Brazos within a few inches.

Central texas does have a lot of packed earth though which means as soon as it starts raining heavily it doesn't really soak in, just sits there for awhile. A drainage system was installed around the stadium in consideration of this.

Ohh and as we get closer to football season if I have any spare season tickets of mine or can grab a few extras you are more than welcome to be my guest at one of the games if you are interested.

Sidenote, From that aerial shot you can see the track stadium that was approved shortly after the stadium project begun and will be completed by the end of the year.

The old stadium and track facility was simply cheaper in the late 1940's to build 3 miles from campus verus anywhere adjacent. (City incentives, land was empty, etc)

In 2014 football, track, basketball, tennis, baseball, softball, soccer, and equestrian will all be nicely lined up on either side of the river.

Satelite photo for refrence

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
Best wishes and prayers on getting through that tough situation. Sounds good. I look forward to showing off and experiencing the disorganized and wildly fun situation the next few seasons should bring with the new stadium.

I appreciate the offer & may take you up on that..I have a heart condition & am on a heart transplant list..It depends on how I feel & if my doctors will allow me to do it or thinks it would be safe for me to do it..I would absolutely love to come see it in person..I will let you know when it gets closer to football season..

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Best wishes and prayers on getting through that tough situation. Sounds good. I look forward to showing off and experiencing the disorganized and wildly fun situation the next few seasons should bring with the new stadium.

After seeing this it explained the pedestrian bridge. There's no parking on the north side of the river.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It looks good, but it is too small. If you want to be mediocre, don't build a new stadium; if you want to compete, build a larger one. Winning attracts people. Build to win. At least it should have been 70000, or don't build it at all. Note to recruits; we just built a great new stadium; 45,000. It is just a hard sell if you want to jump up for good against the competition. Briles gives you a competitive edge. If he leaves, the new stadium gives you none.
This is Baylor we're talking about. They are probably never going to sell out a 70,000 seat stadium. So you build a smaller venue with a ton of features. Attendance nationwide is trending downward anyway and that is not going to stop.

Heck if I were rebuilding Bryant-Denny from scratch, it would probably be in the 90,000 seat range and I'd stock that thing full of cool stuff.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I didn't realize you're dealing with all of that. Prayers go out to you, buddy.

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
Bridge is finally done.

Track stadium will will be done by Christmas. So plenty of construction will be going on east of the stadium this fall.

Field is finally cleared of construction equipment.

Three main tailgate areas, including saligating are featured in this photo.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Nice photo in that beautiful Texas sunset. It will be a classy facility.
Thanks for the pic.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..Can y'all imagine how awesome the atmosphere will be pack full of rabid college football fans during a sunset like that..I wanna go to a game there just to experience it one time or would love to have a home n home with Baylor..They're on my list of teams I wanana see Bama play after they complete & start playing in the new stadium..
Nice photo in that beautiful Texas sunset. It will be a classy facility.
Thanks for the pic.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014

The Dread Pirate Roberts was a nice touch

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013

The gold bleachers are for the Baylor Line, the Freshmen class of 2018 (4,000+ strong, largest ever, I'll probably join for old times sake) will run the length of the field, as they have for decades, to welcome our team onto the field before taking their place behind the opposing teams bench.

The gold bleachers in the end zone are for the band.

Field is supposed to be done in the next week.

http://www.cookphotoworks.com/photos/McLane/#
Album from another media day earlier this week.

Contractor reported the project is 96-97% completed. Hard to believe it will all be done in less than two months.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

The gold bleachers are for the Baylor Line, the Freshmen class of 2018 (4,000+ strong, largest ever, I'll probably join for old times sake) will run the length of the field, as they have for decades, to welcome our team onto the field before taking their place behind the opposing teams bench.

The gold bleachers in the end zone are for the band.

Field is supposed to be done in the next week.

http://www.cookphotoworks.com/photos/McLane/#
Album from another media day earlier this week.

Contractor reported the project is 96-97% completed. Hard to believe it will all be done in less than two months.

as long as the weather cooperates these projects can go up rather quickly. a good design team and good contractors will make for a quick project.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.