****Bama vs. CSU Postgame Thread****

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
LOL at how he finishes the article - as if working with the team and speaking about it publicly go hand in hand. What an idiotic statement from Scarborough.
If communication really is the answer, then he didn't do a good job of communicating that fact. It was, after all, a conflicting statement when put into context. If McCarron was willing to shout at his own teammates during the game, then why couldn't bear to do the same afterward?

Yeah, decent article until this paragraph. He doesn't owe you guys anything....his convo and displeasure with a teammate stays on the field. Doesn't mean he 'couldn't bear to do the same afterward'...doofus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Okay so after a night to rest on it here are some of my takes, and a couple of questions. I'll preface this with the fact that I consider myself overly knowledgeable about football to the point of annoyance at times (just ask my beautiful wife), and I still am scratching my head at some things....here goes..

Firstly, I'm really not sure where our running game is. Last week, yes, TJ had a nice performance, but in general the balance in our offense has been non-existent (stats wise you will see we have more rushed then passes, but there has been lack of balance still). Is it an offensive line thing? De we feel uncomfortable running the ball with our current oline make-up? What is it? I know that if you take out our gashing aTm last week, the numbers are REALLY bad. We should have pounded Va Tech (less than 3 ypc) and CSU (3.1 ypc), but we couldn't. That scares me.

The second problem I have seen is our pass blocking. Which a ton of can be blamed on a young o-line. The other problem has been Cyrus K's inconsistency at LT. I blame that, in all honesty, on lack of effort. Being as good as he is, sometimes it is easy to lull yourself to sleep and suddenly you are getting beat off the line by a defender who is not near as good as you make him look...

The biggest problem we've had on the defensive side of the ball, and it looks to be our only TRUE weakness is our secondary. That's why next week scares me. We've had problems with big receivers, and Mississippi has three targets who are 6'3" or bigger (Evan Engram the TE who plays like a WR, Donte Moncrief who gave us some fits last year, and FR Laquon Treadwell who is super talented). If Belue can't go, we're going to have a tough game with all the young guys trying to match-up with them. Which of our young corners will step up and make a name next week? If Eddie Jackson has the mental part down, this could be a breakout game for him...heck, he should have had a pick last night, but Landon Collin broke it up!

I think we'll definitely show up against Mississippi, as i feel about the CSU game much like I did against Va Tech. Our focus probably wasn't solely on our current opponent, as we knew that our next test was a week away...

A couple of questions to leave you with...

Will we see more of Adam Griffith at kicker? When they showed Foster's career stats last night, it scared me (less than 50% in his career), and I am glad he hit that second FG to give him some confidence after the early miss. I think it's a possibility that the young guy gets more reps going forward.

Is Kenyan Drake due a bigger role? I think he could be our most COMPLETE back. He has really impressed me, and reminds me of a throw back t Derrick Lassic.

Did anyone notice that OJ was AJ's main target with Amari out? This kid, as much as we say it, is going to be special. Also...Chris Black can move.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Just out of curiosity, who are the four teams we'd lose to "at worst?" Good Lord, I hope you put away the sharp objects before you watch the game.
There are only two team on our remaining schedule who could beat us IMO...even at WORST I could only see losses to Mississippi and LSU. Not sure what he is getting at...

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
AJ looked frustrated. The tone of his answers makes me believe he is not happy with the attitude/effort of his teammates. Afraid we have some players who care more about their stats and draft status than they do winning games.

Hopefully they have a come to Jesus meeting or this is a 3 loss team at best.
If they really cared about those things, they'd sure be playing and communicating better! Does the word Entitlement ring a bell...?:(

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Watching the game again, and we dominated until we went up 17-0. Then we basically shut it down. If we score a touchdown on the field goal drive, or if we don't throw an interception on the first drive of the second half, I dont think people are so worried. We'll probably play a really good game against Ole Miss and then the next week slop around against Georgia State, and people will be ready to jump off bridges again.
This is what I've been waiting for. Let's hear from those who line to rematch the games without it being in the heat of the moment.

jangalang

All-SEC
Feb 16, 2003
Miami, FL
Will we see more of Adam Griffith at kicker? When they showed Foster's career stats last night, it scared me (less than 50% in his career), and I am glad he hit that second FG to give him some confidence after the early miss. I think it's a possibility that the young guy gets more reps going forward.

I think Griffith will become our short range kicker before all is said and done, just as Shelley was last season. Even though it was just an EP, he looked so much more comfortable and smooth than when Cade kicks.

Is Kenyan Drake due a bigger role? I think he could be our most COMPLETE back. He has really impressed me, and reminds me of a throw back t Derrick Lassic.

I think he's solidified himself as our #2 back over Nudie. However, if he keeps running the wrong way like he did on the TD, then that can change quickly.

Did anyone notice that OJ was AJ's main target with Amari out? This kid, as much as we say it, is going to be special. Also...Chris Black can move.

OJ may wind up with the most receptions on the time by season's end. I was just happy that Black got to play and show what he's capable of. I think he'll take a similar path to what Drake has taken up to this point, by playing real good in mop up duty and becoming a very solid contributor next season.
:BigA:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think he's solidified himself as our #2 back over Nudie. However, if he keeps running the wrong way like he did on the TD, then that can change quickly.
Maybe that's why he has been so far down in the rotation...?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mac knew what he was facing on defense and offense because of his familiarity with both. Some don't remember/know he coached with Nuss.

The front 5-7 on the defense are good . We are not going to have to worry about them.

Do we have to worry about the secondary? Somewhat. Bama doesn't have the Milliner/Kirkpatrick type guy at CB. Last night will go a long way to helping the secondary because of guys like Eddie Jackson, Maurice Smith, Bradley Sylve and Geno Smith getting quality playing time. This secondary may be a very solid one by the end of the year because it's full of quality playmakers who just aren't the standout guys like Dre or Dee.

The offense was bland. The running game wasn't used much, just like against Va Tech. I do remember a third down in the second half when AJ turned around to handoff to TJ but Yeldon was on the other side. The OL didn't block anyone on the right side on that particular play, so Yeldon was destroyed in the backfield.

Like RTO said, Blake Sims continues to show improvement when on the field. I was pleasantly surprised to see the coaches let him throw the ball - even if the pass was a bubble screen. He needs more in-game pass experience.

I'm not overly worried about last night because I expected a let down of sorts after last week. Add in the guys not playing, and you don't have a dominant performance like many wanted and expected. No one is going to complain about the score; the complaints/worries come from the way the game went.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
RTR91, agree with the post. However, two things concern me.

One, the play of the secondary. This year's team has not had much success against big physical receivers. The good news is, it is fixable. However, we need to get it "figured out" by Saturday. Yesterday's game was ugly, but did give the "younguns" some meaningful reps. Landry Collins reminds me of Barron. He has a nose for the ball and a big play.

The second concern is our run game. Funny, I never thought I would say that. Ironically, there was a time when fans (and talking heads) said we needed to "open the offense up" and not rely on the run as much. The fact is, the inconsistency of our offensive line is the biggest deterrent to a sound running game right now. I hesistate when saying that because I don't want to be a "debbie downer". However, facts are stubborn things. Something just doesn't feel or seem right with the OL. Granted, I have definetly been spoiled by last year's line. Does anyone else see this? Are we giving up on the run too early or just playing to our the strenghts of our offensive unit (AJ and WRs)?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
RTR91, agree with the post. However, two things concern me.

One, the play of the secondary. This year's team has not had much success against big physical receivers. The good news is, it is fixable. However, we need to get it "figured out" by Saturday. Yesterday's game was ugly, but did give the "younguns" some meaningful reps. Landry Collins reminds me of Barron. He has a nose for the ball and a big play.

The second concern is our run game. Funny, I never thought I would say that. Ironically, there was a time when fans (and talking heads) said we needed to "open the offense up" and not rely on the run as much. The fact is, the inconsistency of our offensive line is the biggest deterrent to a sound running game right now. I hesistate when saying that because I don't want to be a "debbie downer". However, facts are stubborn things. Something just doesn't feel or seem right with the OL. Granted, I have definetly been spoiled by last year's line. Does anyone else see this? Are we giving up on the run too early or just playing to our the strenghts of our offensive unit (AJ and WRs)?
Our coaching staff did nothing via play calling to change the flow of the game or to get us out of the offensive rut. Absolutely nothing. The only thing I can figure is it was by design. I know our coaching staff isn't stupid and have enough brains to make adjustments when something isn't working. So I'm only left with it was by design we kept doing what we were doing.

Last edited:

Bamaparrotheads

3rd Team
Jan 27, 2011
Madison, AL
One more observation from me, since I am just now watching the replay:

9. Tessitore and Millen are horrible. The guy that sat behind me who kept talking about the way it was when he was in college was more insightful and entertaining.

That's all. Roll Tide!

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I'm watching the Aggie/Bama replay. The DL did a decent job against Mr. Autograph; what happened Saturday? I've seen some posters question the effectiveness of the line. Just wondering.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Good to see the emergence of OJ and L Collins. Proud of K Drake too. Frankly though I'm wondering if anyone else showed up tonight. When you only suit up 12 times in a sport in a given season, I don't understand how you cannot be 'up' for a game.
Think you might have missed 32

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
If communication really is the answer, then he didn't do a good job of communicating that fact. It was, after all, a conflicting statement when put into context. If McCarron was willing to shout at his own teammates during the game, then why couldn't bear to do the same afterward?

Yeah, decent article until this paragraph. He doesn't owe you guys anything....his convo and displeasure with a teammate stays on the field. Doesn't mean he 'couldn't bear to do the same afterward'...doofus

Scarborough would love for AJ to name names and point fingers so he'd be able to write a scathing article bashing AJ for it. AJ wouldn't give him the "story" he wanted, so he had find something to write about - nothing more.

I'm watching the replay right now, and I just saw AJ point to himself and take full responsibilty for the pick he threw. AJ was displeased with his own play as well everybody else's. He realizes that the entire TEAM did not play to their potential, and I hope he is never OK with that. That's called being a competitor and a leader.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Coaching staff players of the game...

@AlabamaFTBL

UA Coaching staff POWs: Off. - D. White, Ch. Jones, Def. - C.J. Mosley, T. DePriest, ST - L. Collins, A. Tenpenny, K. Drake.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Coaching staff players of the game...

@AlabamaFTBL

UA Coaching staff POWs: Off. - D. White, Ch. Jones, Def. - C.J. Mosley, T. DePriest, ST - L. Collins, A. Tenpenny, K. Drake.
2 young RBs as STs POW. Goes to show that they could be pouting for lack of carries, but they are going hard wherever they get a shot.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
One more observation from me, since I am just now watching the replay:

9. Tessitore and Millen are horrible. The guy that sat behind me who kept talking about the way it was when he was in college was more insightful and entertaining.

That's all. Roll Tide!
Tessitore is okay. He'd be much better without Millen who is as useles an announcer as he was a GM.

Nessler is my favorite.

RTR!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.