Should Bama be ranked #1? Holtz vs May

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9707719 <- Mark May and Coach Holtz argue over whether Bama should be ranked #1. I don't know if I disagree with either's points. Btw, Holtz argues against it mainly saying that there should be no team rankings until middle of season and not on merits. My top five has to be:

1. Alabama (most impressive win of the year for any team in the country)
2. Oregon (most impressive looking team but they still haven't played anyone and 10rc still isn't anyone)
3. Clemson (beat UGA who is still a decent team)
4. Texas A&M (I don't see anyone besides us beating them to be perfectly honest. Their schedule is even easier than ours though)
5. LSU (have won 4 games and still haven't played anyone and Auburn still isn't anyone)

Honestly, I don't think Stanford, Ohio St or Louisville could beat any of the teams in this top 5.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
All Alabama has done is win. All they have to do is keep on winning.

The Ole Miss game will end the debate. Win that game by any margin and everyone shuts up.

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
Texas A&M will be a three loss team by the end of the season. I couldn't care less about them.

Oregon's looked the best. The problem with them is that they play very fast, and so they burn out by the end of the season. More plays => more exertion => more injuries.

Stanford is looking decent. They're big and play the power game. Always got to be careful of Stanford.

So is LSU, but we find out how good they are next week against UGA. They're a death trap for us. Just like every year.

I think Urban Meyer is a good coach and OSU will go undefeated, but I don't think they'll beat us. We're going to haunt his psyche forever.

Auburn is dangerous for us. Just because all kinds of crazy shenanigans go down in a rivalry game with that kind of magnitude.

As for us, I don't think we've looked all that good in any of our games - except for our defense in game one. But, we've got all year to get better. And in terms of potential, we've got more upside than anybody else. The best coaches, facilities, and talent. So, improvements should come.

I don't follow Clemson. I don't follow the ACC. But that conference hasn't been relevant since Vick played for VTech.

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Going by Sagarin numbers, Alabama has played by far the toughest schedule of any unbeaten team, the only team with a win over a top 10 team. Also VT is barely outside the top-30, and there are 150 teams worse than CSU.

You can vote for style points or you can vote results. Gold-round scores against bottom-100 opponents is one reason why computer polls take an average of margin-of-victory and quality-of-opponent.

I don't think being #1 is necessarily a good thing for the egos of the younger guys on the team, but Alabama is probably one of the very very few teams in football that knows how to ignore rankings.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think I'd rather be #2 at this point. Like the car rental commercial says...If you're number 2 you try harder.
If we were ranked #2 or #3, we maybe could regain our FOCUS and play with much more INTENSITY!

It is hard to always be everyone's TARGET! And, everyone wants to "Shock the World" by beating the #1 Crimson Tide.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Holtz kinda' mailed that appearance in. I think he's just biding his time until the season's over and he can get back to his full-time gig boiling up lye soap in a pot by the cement pond.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.