Stadium crowd yesterday/student seating

How many times does the point have to be made that since students are concentrated, their missing numbers are more obvious? But when the rest of the crowd - which is the overwhelming majority of ticketholders - stay home, it's harder to notice due to dispersement throughout the stadium?

Let's give the student bashing a rest.
I didn't bash it. I just said it stood out.

Sent from my iPhone

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Interesting article in the WSJ today. It's not just an Alabama issue.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...od=WSJ_hps_LEFTTopStories#articleTabs=article
Was coming to post this article. The explanation holds true for many fans, just not students.

The cellular reception at the stadium is bad. The nonconference schedules these days are worse. And the high-definition broadcast at home (or at the frat house, the bar or wherever) is gorgeous. The result is students are focusing on the few marquee games—like Saturday's matchup of No. 6 LSU and No. 9 Georgia—at the expense of others.
Many older fans won't care about the cellular reception, but plenty do care. We've had discussions on here about it.

With the improvements in TVs and more games on TVs, folks stay home just like students go elsewhere.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
SO....I just got an email from Tide Pride asking me to give my tickets to a student if I wasn't gonna go. It has a section that goes like this. My comments on each statement in parentheses and in color.

As a season ticket holder, you now have the opportunity to return unused tickets for the Alabama vs Ole Miss game back to Alabama Athletics PRIOR TO THE GAME (free of charge). ((You paid for the tickets but we'll take em back and won't charge you AGAIN!) )

Turn your tickets in by 12 p.m. on the Friday prior to the game.

Earn THREE Tide Totals Priority Points for each ticket that you return. (You can return the entire seasons worth of tickets but you aren't gonna get any closer to bowl game tickets)

Proceeds from sales to students will go towards to Crimson Tide Foundation scholarship fund. (You couldn't sell them but you gave em to us free so we'll sell em and make some cash.)

DOES NOT INCLUDE North or South Zone, Field Suite, Ivory Club, or Skybox Seating. (Cause we ain't feeding them too.)

I appreciate what they are doing with trying to help use some of the unused tix. I really do, but I think they are gonna have to give up more than 3 priority points per ticket in order to get people to buy in. Why don't I sell my ticket to a student for whatever they pay for theirs normally and pocket the cash. At least I'll get something of meaningful value from it.
Yes, I'm a cup half empty person...I'm sorry.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Was coming to post this article. The explanation holds true for many fans, just not students.

Many older fans won't care about the cellular reception, but plenty do care. We've had discussions on here about it.

With the improvements in TVs and more games on TVs, folks stay home just like students go elsewhere.

ESPN is killing the on campus atmosphere by having EVERY SINGLE GAME on the TV.

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
From a student perspective, the SW corner's top 20 rows were empty because of one reason: some of us students are a little dumb. There were people standing on the ground level and in the aisles for a great deal of the game, while 20 rows just across the way stayed open. People would rather crowd around the SE corner and sacrifice a seat than just look across the student section. There was one game last year where about 10 rows under the SW jumbotron were completely empty (mind you, block seating was in effect, although once the game starts, anyone can take the empty seats), but we had people over on the other side not only standing in the aisles, but in between rows of bleachers. Two rows stood up on the bleachers (as normal), but then there was an entire third row of people standing on the concrete between the two bleachers.

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
But don't let the students receive all the credit for a stadium that's not full. I sat about 5 rows behind the band saturday, and it gave me a very clear view of the West upper deck and all of the empty seats up THERE.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.