Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Wow, that's standing up tall for what is right. Just hope he gets support from school administration, board of education and parents.
Looks like they got the support from both fronts...

School administrators who learned of the decision to suspend the team the day before it happened, said they supported the move and saw it as more of an opportunity than punishment.
No parent complained about the decision to the administration. Most expressed support and gratitude.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Do right and you will get punished?
I've been on teams back in school where a couple of folks were goofing off and caused the entire team to run laps. We got on the ones goofing off probably more than the coaches...so yes, I think it is appropriate at times for this type of action.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I've been on teams back in school where a couple of folks were goofing off and caused the entire team to run laps. We got on the ones goofing off probably more than the coaches...so yes, I think it is appropriate at times for this type of action.
Running a little bit extra is one thing. Suspending the entire team is just wrong.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Teaches them a valuable life lesson too: when you're part of a team, everything an individual does is a reflection on the team. If a team member sees another member doing something to hurt the team and does nothing, he's just as guilty as the wrongdoer.
What about the innocent people though. The ones who just did what they were suppose to do?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Do right and you will get punished?
I heard someone call it peer punishment. When a bad apple(s) does something bad you punish everyone so the good apples will make sure bad apples don't do it again and they feel bad for making the good apples go through it and it changes their habits.

The NY Jets had 20 penalties and 160+ penalty yards this past week. Rex Ryan implemented a practice policy that anytime someone had a penalty the entire organization including Ryan, asst coaches and even owner Woody Johnson has to do 10 push-ups and the person who committed the penalty does not do them and watches everyone else do them. It's probably a little overboard for a pro athlete/organization but it is a great policy for anyone 23 years old or less IMO.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Are you certain that there were any who fit your description?
Its tough for one to be certain but I'm pretty sure there is at least one kid who did nothing wrong. Also, it seems some kids did things that were worse than others and they all get the same punishment?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I heard someone call it peer punishment. When a bad apple(s) does something bad you punish everyone so the good apples will make sure bad apples don't do it again and they feel bad for making the good apples go through it and it changes their habits.

The NY Jets had 20 penalties and 160+ penalty yards this past week. Rex Ryan implemented a practice policy that anytime someone had a penalty the entire organization including Ryan, asst coaches and even owner Woody Johnson has to do 10 push-ups and the person who committed the penalty does not do them and watches everyone else do them. It's probably a little overboard for a pro athlete/organization but it is a great policy for anyone 23 years old or less IMO.
Private Pyle has dishonored himself and dishonored the platoon! I have tried to help him, but I have failed! I have failed because you have not helped me! You people have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So! From now on, whenever Private Pyle [fouls] up, I will not punish him. I will punish all of you! And the way I see it, ladies, you owe me for one jelly doughnut! Now, get on your faces! [recruits get in front-leaning-rest position; he addresses Pyle again] Open your mouth! [shoves jelly doughnut into Pyle's mouth] They're paying for it, you eat it!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Wow, that's standing up tall for what is right. Just hope he gets support from school administration, board of education and parents.
Coach will likely be disciplined for his action.
Sounds like he kinda painted himself into a corner with a no win situation for himself.
Only takes one child that was innocent...
I doubt the community will be behind the coach.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Its tough for one to be certain but I'm pretty sure there is at least one kid who did nothing wrong. Also, it seems some kids did things that were worse than others and they all get the same punishment?
If the problem is severe enough for this punishment to evoke the type of local support that it has, maybe we should trust those who have the details. The punishment was meant to solve a problem. If it does so, the entire community will be better served - including those who couldn't play this season but were not a part of the problem.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Private Pyle has dishonored himself and dishonored the platoon! I have tried to help him, but I have failed! I have failed because you have not helped me! You people have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So! From now on, whenever Private Pyle [fouls] up, I will not punish him. I will punish all of you! And the way I see it, ladies, you owe me for one jelly doughnut! Now, get on your faces! [recruits get in front-leaning-rest position; he addresses Pyle again] Open your mouth! [shoves jelly doughnut into Pyle's mouth] They're paying for it, you eat it!

Remember what happened to the Platoon Sgt.?

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.