Link: Delany: Let players bypass college

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If this happens, the result will be a development league funded by the NFL. It would kill college football.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think this helps anyone but the NFL. The players will get nominal D-league like pay with no educational opportunity in a sport where the injury spill-out rate is much higher than basketball. There is a benefit to the collegiate-NFL system in that regard.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The amount of money that comes in to universities due to successful football programs is enormous.
Just look at what A&M did since their football became relevant again.
It is staggering.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Has the NBADL hurt college basketball?
I don't watch college basketball all that much, but the number of players that stay even 3 years is almost zero among the most talented. Teams have to deal with a huge turnover rate every year. So I would say yes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How about Delaney and the Big Ten just join the Ivy League like he threatened earlier this year? Then let's see how many subscribers your Big Ten Network has.
Remember - most B1G fans dislike Delany as much as SEC fans. He is an idiot and we wish he would just go away.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Remember - most B1G fans dislike Delany as much as SEC fans. He is an idiot and we wish he would just go away.
I would hope so. I understand he's made some good business decisions which have resulted in a great financial windfall for the Big Ten. That's to be commended. But his stance on this issue is quite hypocritical, IMO, as well as disingenuous.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
[QUOTEHas the NBADL hurt college basketball?][/QUOTE]

Yes since the really good players are one and done.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Completely different comparison. A: College basketball isn't nearly as lucrative as college football and B: Athletes can leave college after one year in basketball anyway.

The main issue here really is the fact that college covers for the NFL a bit. With the rise of health concerns, the NFL doesn't really want to make pros out of 18 year olds (and also take on that liability) and furthermore, what's better for the kid? A developmental contract, or a college education?

There's no doubt that college football benefits from the current arrangement, as does the NFL. If you want another comparison, how about college baseball? It doesn't come remotely close to the popularity of the major leagues, and they have a well developed minor league system.

The Big 10 said some other interesting things in the past, including in regards to the O'Bannon case, in which they basically said they might drop football (forget who exactly said it), or go down to a lower level. The Big 10 is posturing, but their position here is clear, they don't want to pay more, and they don't care as much about their football "product" as some other conferences.

The Big 12 and SEC are among the voices that are making it clear that they are fine with stipends or that sort of thing (ironically, something some students at Big 12, Big 10 and SEC schools already can get). I think the middle ground is the key, have stipends, may be make some other common sense reforms, but don't wreck college football.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Sounds like his plan to end SEC football domination. The word(s) I have to describe this guy are better left unsaid.

Roll Tide

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
If what Delany is suggesting actually happened, major college football would closely resemble the Gulf South Conference. Imagine watching UNA and Valdosta State every week.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
...The Big 10 said some other interesting things in the past, including in regards to the O'Bannon case, in which they basically said they might drop football (forget who exactly said it), or go down to a lower level. The Big 10 is posturing, but their position here is clear, they don't want to pay more, and they don't care as much about their football "product" as some other conferences...
The school presidents have been talking about this for a few years now, and I believe that they have completely lost touch with their students and fans. If the egg heads really believe that B1G schools would continue to attract as many students without college football, they should be retired. Many students come to OSU strictly for the education, but most are also VERY interested in the extracurricular activities associated with OSU. Columbus is a different city during the fall, and that is because of college football. These guys don't understand how integrated college football has become in our culture. You can't just walk away without changing everything else.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
A player still has to be at least one year removed from his HS graduation to play in the NBADL, because it is an extension of the NBA... Therefore whether they go that route or not, they still must either play 1 year of college ball, prep school ball, overseas, or on some sort of travel team.. So, has it had a direct effect on College Basketball? No... Anyone can see, due to the parity in the college ranks as of late, that the overall product has gone down due to the 1 and done player model.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.