Rank Your Top Five Coaches As Far As Running A Football Program "The Right Way".

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Rank Your Top Five Coaches As Far As Running A Football Program "The Right Way".

Currently coaching only. This isn't a question about just wins and losses. It's which top five you think have found, or are finding success, while maintaining discipline, values, and integrity. "Doing it the right way".

When you think about it, it's not really easy to find five anymore. At least in my book. But here goes.

1. Coach Saban. The best.
2. Frank Beamer. Pretty under rated in my opinion. Great character guy.
3. Bill O'Brien. (Penn State) This guy, so far, has done an incredible job against a huge mountain to climb.
4. Steve Spurrier. Like him or not, he's always run a pretty tight ship and he's never had NCAA problems.
5. Bill Snyder (Kansas State) He's not easy to like but he does things right and gets results. Players seem to respect him.

I'm sure there are others, but these are my five. Yours?

Beat Ole Miss! sip

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Re: Rank Your Top Five Coaches As Far As Running A Football Program "The Right Way".

I have a high opinion of Stanford's David Shaw

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
Re: Rank Your Top Five Coaches As Far As Running A Football Program "The Right Way".

Saban
Chip Kelly
Richt
What's his name at Boise State
Spurrier

I would have said Meyer too but not after this Hernández thing.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I have a high opinion of Stanford's David Shaw
I agree Shaw appears to have settled in behind Harbaugh without any drop off. It's only his second season but Jim Mora, Jr. looks to have UCLA at least even with USC and maybe even a nose ahead, thanks in part to the idiot HC at USC. The HC at Northwestern, can't think of his name right now, Fitzgerald? Lots of coaches who the jury is still out on, Kingsbury, Hoke, Fisher, and Dabo to name a few.

CrimsonblakeII

Scout Team
Feb 19, 2012
Seattle, WA

You got to have Chris Peterson on your list. Yea they got hit for giving kids PB&J sandwhiches. But his teams play sound, clean, penalty free football.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Currently coaching only. This isn't a question about just wins and losses. It's which top five you think have found, or are finding success, while maintaining discipline, values, and integrity. "Doing it the right way".

When you think about it, it's not really easy to find five anymore. At least in my book. But here goes.

3. Bill O'Brien. (Penn State) This guy, so far, has done an incredible job against a huge mountain to climb.
4. Steve Spurrier. Like him or not, he's always run a pretty tight ship and he's never had NCAA problems.
5. Bill Snyder (Kansas State) He's not easy to like but he does things right and gets results. Players seem to respect him.

Beat Ole Miss! sip
Sip I could agree with most, I would probably have Spurrier above Beamer due to his titles at Florida. The jury is still out on O'Brien as this is only his 2nd year and we are not sure if he's clean yet or not. I would have to give him more time before I put him in my top 5. I'd say Coach Saban, Coach Spurrier, Coach Beamer, Urban Meyer (like him or not he wins and recruits very well), and Coach Snyder.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Beat Ole Miss! sip
Beamer has had some major "behavior" issues over the years that really kept him from being a Legend......and I think it cost him more often than not. He was Thug U there for a while -- not sure if it's cleaned up or not. He seems like a good guy -- but not sure he always recruited quality people.......

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I'm going to agree on Bill Snyder. Kansas State was a horrible program for many years until he came along. Then he retired and his replacement let things fall apart. He returned and has them going again.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I am doing things a bit different.. I want to make sure that winning IS a factor, because if you aren't winning no one will care if you have a clean program in all honesty...so here goes.

Nick Saban - We all know why

Bob Stoops - His name isn;t what it was 5 years ago, but carrying over an .800 winning percentage and having no violations bodes well as a coach...

David Shaw - The best young coach in college football, and a guy cut out of the "Saban" cloth...he runs a tight ship

Steve Spurrier - The Ol' Ball Coach has ran a pretty clean program at both UF and USCe, while continuing to win.

Chris Petersen - A few years back there was a small run-in with the NCAA, but that is the exception rather then the rule.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

I'd say Coach Saban, Coach Spurrier, Coach Beamer, Urban Meyer (like him or not he wins and recruits very well), and Coach Snyder.
If it's running a program the right way I don't think there is any way Meyer belongs in this group. I think we will learn more about Meyer as the Aaron Hernandez story unfolds. Bottom line I think he's a crooked snake.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I am only going to list coaches who built or substantially lifted a program that was down. I am only listing current head coaches, and they must have done it more than once - in more than one place. I will might remove my bottom two if moral fiber is also included:

Nick Saban - You all know his story better than I do
Steve Spurrier - He built Florida and has taken USCe higher than they every hoped to be
Brian Kelly - He started with Grand Valley State and has built/lifted programs everywhere that he has gone
Urban Meyer - His story began before he arrived in Florida
Bobby Petrino - Louisville, Arkansas - who will hire him next?

There are many coaches who have done it once, or who took over programs already flying high and continued that success. They don't deserve this much credit, IMO.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

I would like to include Mark Richt, but too many discipline problems (both on field and off).

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Interesting topic. Some very different opinions on what the "right way" is based on coaches mentioned.

My top 5 are:
Saban - Duh
Richt - while he has had some off the field issues with players, he has dealt will each one in the exact same, strict manner. At a time when other coaches are letting their team vote on a star players ability to play, Richt's consistent approach to handling players is refreshing. And he's averaged 9-10 wins a season. Not bad.
Chris Petersen - No one has done more with less than this guy
Dabo Swinney - Has energized the Clemson program and from what I can see, seems to run things pretty clean
Mike Gundy - It's difficult enough to be a coach. But a coach, drug dealer and a pimp? That take a special breed.

Seriously though, #5 is probably Spurrier. He's can be a jerk, but he's entertaining, wins at a high level and has avoided NCAA scrutiny.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

For my top 5, I'd go Saban, Snyder, Fitzgerald, Strong, and Petersen. All five are high character guys who win and conduct themselves in a respectful manner.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I agree with every HC listed so far in the thread..I'll add Coach Fanklin from Vandy cause it's Vandy & he's built a really good clean football program in a short period of time..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Saban
Shaw
Snyder
Beamer
Peterson

If Alabama didn't already have the greatest coach, I would definitely want Shaw.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

There is a book out titled "The System, The Glory and Scandal of Big Time College Football," by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian. I have not read it yet, but I heard an interview with the authors. One of them spent quite a bit of time with Saban and the program and, from what I could understand, reported favorably on Bama.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

There is a book out titled "The System, The Glory and Scandal of Big Time College Football," by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian. I have not read it yet, but I heard an interview with the authors. One of them spent quite a bit of time with Saban and the program and, from what I could understand, reported favorably on Bama.
And not very favorably on Tennessee.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.