We have one good backup center

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Lindsey did a great job all things considered.

But, there are two points. The offense was never really dynamic, there were a few big plays, but it's not like we saw a well oiled machine with either center. The other is that Ryan was the center for the game against A&M, and the offense didn't look too bad then. So, I'm happy with what we saw today from Lindsey, but I'll stop short of deciding which should be starting.
He at least ought to get a look. It was apparent that he didn't give up any ground and held the middle more than Kelly. I made it a point to watch him as soon as he came in and there's no doubt he's more physical than Kelly.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
He at least ought to get a look. It was apparent that he didn't give up any ground and held the middle more than Kelly. I made it a point to watch him as soon as he came in and there's no doubt he's more physical than Kelly.
He will have a couple weeks to prove himself.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Lindsey did a great job all things considered.

But, there are two points. The offense was never really dynamic, there were a few big plays, but it's not like we saw a well oiled machine with either center. The other is that Ryan was the center for the game against A&M, and the offense didn't look too bad then. So, I'm happy with what we saw today from Lindsey, but I'll stop short of deciding which should be starting.
Arkansas put up nearly 500 yards on A&M with their backup QB tonight, so I'm thinking their defense had a lot to do with how we played against them.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Sorry for Kelly he is a good guy, CNS says he will be out 3-4 weeks. Lindsey did a good job, but we still have AJ hitting the ground to much.
Not to take away from CL play at all but Eli credited CK with the key block springing TJ but I will re watch it tomorrow.

Either way it's an improvement but still a way to go on offense.

Defense looked like Alabama, not that is as good a complement as one can get.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Arkansas put up nearly 500 yards on A&M with their backup QB tonight, so I'm thinking their defense had a lot to do with how we played against them.
Alabama scored more points on A&M than any other opponent this year.

Vanderbilt scored more points on Ole Miss than Alabama did. UTEP scored more points on CSU than Alabama did. We can drudge up other team's performances all we want. The point is, Alabama's offense looked fantastic against Texas A&M, and that was the only time they have.

Edit: Also, Arkansas averages 28.3 points and scored 33 against A&M. Every team that played A&M was within 5 points of their season scoring average, or well below it, with the exception of Alabama. Alabama averages 38.3 and scored 49 against Texas A&M. I'm honestly a bit annoyed that people pretend an exceptional offensive effort against A&M did not warrant praise.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Chad Lindsey looks like Barrett Jones. Not shy on pointing out assignments and made great blocks, the block on the Drake TD. He's a gamer, and I bet he'll see more playing time regardless of injuries.
I was concerned when he first came in for Kelly. I was concerned about the center snap to A. J. under center as well as to A. J. in the backfield. I was also concerned about his blocking.

But! Chad Lindsay came through like a trooper.

When Coach names players for this game, I think there will be a lot of names on the list. Lindsay has to be one of them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Vanderbilt scored more points on Ole Miss than Alabama did. UTEP scored more points on CSU than Alabama did. We can drudge up other team's performances all we want. The point is, Alabama's offense looked fantastic against Texas A&M, and that was the only time they have.
Well, all we can hope for is we can keep winning while giving the OL time to gel. So for we're doing that. Our defense might have to carry the load for us but what's new? We've done it before.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Edit: Also, Arkansas averages 28.3 points and scored 33 against A&M. Every team that played A&M was within 5 points of their season scoring average, or well below it, with the exception of Alabama. Alabama averages 38.3 and scored 49 against Texas A&M. I'm honestly a bit annoyed that people pretend an exceptional offensive effort against A&M did not warrant praise.
You have to factor in the fact that these teams were more up for Alabama than any other opponent that they have played this season. That makes a difference in this sport.

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
When Lindsay committed to us, I thought he was going to be a stud. His HS highlight footage looked as impressive as any lineman I've ever seen. I don't if he is one of those players that doesn't practice well, but he played lights out. His MO in HS was to block an opposing player to ground, and I saw him do that several times tonight. He played very physical like he did back in Texas.
Yep, that's what I remembered about his high school clips and have been looking forward to seeing him do the same with Bama. He did a great job tonight.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, all we can hope for is we can keep winning while giving the OL time to gel. So for we're doing that. Our defense might have to carry the load for us but what's new? We've done it before.
Yup, we've had enough offense the past couple of seasons to kind of forget, but Alabama has won a lot of championships without the need for an explosive offensive. I think the pieces are all there, but that's a scary proposition if how the defense played against Ole Miss is any indication.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
When Lindsay committed to us, I thought he was going to be a stud. His HS highlight footage looked as impressive as any lineman I've ever seen. I don't if he is one of those players that doesn't practice well, but he played lights out. His MO in HS was to block an opposing player to ground, and I saw him do that several times tonight. He played very physical like he did back in Texas.
I sometimes ponder about having too much talent sitting on the bench. It's an ever growing group that's hard to keep focused. The line between too much and too few talent is thin. I am sure it will work itself out, but we are absolutely loaded with top tier talent. But no doubt that Lindsay plays well in games and could be a very good center, and he's a junior I believe.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And the more actual game time reps Chad gets, especially getting thrown into the fire, like he did tonight against a solid SEC D like The Rebels..He's only going to get better, cause the speed of the games, are so much faster than just practice, you can't really simulate that during practices..When you take that into consideration, how well Chad played tonight, is even more impressive, when you calculate that into the picture..

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
With Kelly out for a few weeks I think he may get Pipped. The team ran for under. 40 yards in the first half and over 200 in the second.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
We ran for 40 yds against an undersized fast defense in the first half. We ran for 200 against a tired, undersized defense the second half. Give the kid credit for playing well but I think there is more to it than just him. Bama has a history of grinding teams down and then steamrolling them in the second half.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We ran for 40 yds against an undersized fast defense in the first half. We ran for 200 against a tired, undersized defense the second half. Give the kid credit for playing well but I think there is more to it than just him. Bama has a history of grinding teams down and then steamrolling them in the second half.
That's our style of play that's won us more NC's that any team in the history of the game, I hope we never stray from that, that's why I cringed, when I read Coach Saban say we would move toward a HUNH type offense in the future..I hope we stay with what's made us the most dominant football program in college football.."If it aint broke, Don't fix it" I say & hope..

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
That's our style of play that's won us more NC's that any team in the history of the game, I hope we never stray from that, that's why I cringed, when I read Coach Saban say we would move toward a HUNH type offense in the future..I hope we stay with what's made us the most dominant football program in college football.."If it aint broke, Don't fix it" I say & hope..
I was thinking about that today, Coach Bryant did it, but only after being forced by two dismal season's. Not sure if Coach Saban will be here another 6 years, but we could migrate towards a faster offense. It's unusual to think that the offensive philosophy that we grew to love and is instilled in our football culture came from Coach Bryants second term.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I was thinking about that today, Coach Bryant did it, but only after being forced by two dismal season's. Not sure if Coach Saban will be here another 6 years, but we could migrate towards a faster offense. It's unusual to think that the offensive philosophy that we grew to love and is instilled in our football culture came from Coach Bryants second term.
Good point. People brought up Archie Manning's game in '69 but that was against an eventual 6-5 Bama team. Within 2 years Coach Bryant completely overhauled the team and changed the philosophy and went on an amazing run.

i don't see Saban doing that though because he will never have a 5 loss team again at Bama.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Arkansas scored 33 points on A&M with a backup QB.

I'm not knocking our effort, and if not for TJ's fumble, we should have score 56. I'm also not going to pretend that their defense isn't ranked 110th in the country and that gave up more yards tonight than their already horrible season average against Arkansas with a backup QB.

We had by far our best offense performance against by far the worst defense we've played this year. No big surprise here, IMO.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I thought we started playing better when Lindsay came in the game. Very impressed with the O Line after that. Even though the score could have and should have been double what it was if those FG's were TD's, I am cool with another 25 point victory!! The defense was fantastic and despite that pesky "targeting" BS rule penalty, we stayed hot all night. Great shutout and great game!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Arkansas scored 33 points on A&M with a backup QB.

I'm not knocking our effort, and if not for TJ's fumble, we should have score 56. I'm also not going to pretend that their defense isn't ranked 110th in the country and that gave up more yards tonight than their already horrible season average against Arkansas with a backup QB.

We had by far our best offense performance against by far the worst defense we've played this year. No big surprise here, IMO.
I agree with you. Just wanted to correct you on Arky's QB situation. Brandon Allen came back to start tonight, and he's the normal starter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.