Richardson and the Colts today

bogeypro

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2005
1 TD so far with 60 yards today with 7 min left in the 4th. Only averaging about 3 yards a carry.

Honestly, he just doesn't seem to have the same pop as he did at Alabama.

TooFullOfBama

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 6, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Big old hosses on the D-line each and every single week - big difference between Saturday and Sunday. Every single player he faces is a former college All American or All Conference. I'm not surprised his production is down a bit. Plus, his former team essentially fired him in an unseemly manner, IMO, so I think that continues to affect him to some degree.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I think it's more the evolution of the NFL game than any problem with Trent. If you look around the league, 100 yard games are rare for any RB's not named Adrian Peterson.

RB's don't get anywhere near the carries they used to and NFL defenses are only getting bigger and faster, so the result is less production from the RB spot.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's two weeks in with a new offense. He's gotta get a feel on how they run the plays and learn all the protections so he can play every down and package.

He's scoring touchdowns though, so he clearly has the physicality at the goal line they wanted. They've got a bye soon (I believe), he'll probably look better after an extra bit of practice.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think it's more the evolution of the NFL game than any problem with Trent. If you look around the league, 100 yard games are rare for any RB's not named Adrian Peterson.

RB's don't get anywhere near the carries they used to and NFL defenses are only getting bigger and faster, so the result is less production from the RB spot.
IMO TR IS a 20 carry 100 yard RB. That is if the Colts use him to his full potential.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Trent is going to be OK. It's tough to run in the NFL. The leading rusher heading into this week was QB Terrelle Pryor. Doug Martin had 27 carries for 45 yds today. Trent will have a break out game soon.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I agree with the idea that he needs time to jell with the Colts. However, the reality is that his intense weight lifting did add pounds (muscle) and lower his quickness & speed. The NFL is a speed league...everyone can run on defense. He always seemed quicker to me his first year at Bama than any other. I wonder if the extra weight is not what he needs to carry in the NFL?

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
Until one of our boys picks it up a notch the RB's at Bama may start getting a "system" tag.
It seems a lot harder to predict which RB will succeed in the NFL these days, they come from every level of college football and some get put in better situations than others in the NFL, it's much harder being a RB today than 20 years ago when the defenses had 1/2 the speed. The RB does not carry the load in college like Herschel and Bo did, or even Alexander, so maybe it's harder to judge them at the next level. I absolutely knew Alexander would be successful, but did not with Trent because he was part of a rotating backfield that had a good passing game, but my hunch was he would be a top tier rb. His low mileage was very attractive though and am sure helped his draft status. I still believe Lacy in the perfect situation to succeed once he gets going.

I believe Trent will be much better in a few weeks. Our RB's meeting expectations in the NFL is very important for recruiting. If Trent and or Ingram had better season's, Lacy probably would have been drafted higher.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I agree with the idea that he needs time to jell with the Colts. However, the reality is that his intense weight lifting did add pounds (muscle) and lower his quickness & speed. The NFL is a speed league...everyone can run on defense. He always seemed quicker to me his first year at Bama than any other. I wonder if the extra weight is not what he needs to carry in the NFL?
I'm glad someone else thinks the same way I do about this. IMHO Trent has put on too much muscle since his freshman year and lost some speed. The run he made against Texas showed the speed that he had back then. Although he did make some long runs his last year at Bama it just wasn't the same as that run against Texas.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Spoilers: They're not. I think Mack made a pro-bowl by default one year (each team gets at least one pro bowler I believe).

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think he has become timid over being flagged for lowering his helmet. He has started running much higher, thus giving the defense a much bigger target and he gets knocked off balance easier, falling backwards and sideways more. He wool adjust and get better, let's hope it is soon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.