There's gonna be a lot of surprised LSU fans come November 9th.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: There's gonna be a lot of surprised LSU fans comes November 9th.

Then we will have had a lot more luck than I expect to get.
What does that even mean?

Alabama has one of the best QBs in the nation and one of - if not the - best WR groups. Why can this team not pass more than some would like because that's what Coach Bryant and Stallings did?

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

And what if that is not the identity of this team but this team wins a national championship?

Then coach Saban has found a new way to win the NC. Given that has never happened, the better question is how you would feel if we lose the opportunity for a NC because all we could establish was the pass? Personally, I think Saban is working on what comes natural.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

This team is good enough to win the NC. Whether they do or not will probably be determined by factors other than coaching and talent.

Here's the thing. Is Alabama, as you've seen them so far this season, good enough to beat LSU? That's the next truly tough opponent on the schedule. The next four games could be lost in some bizarre alternate universe, but not this one. It would catastrophe on a scale not seen recently. So are they good enough to beat LSU? I don't know why anyone would say they are not.

Next up is the SEC title game. Mississippi State and Auburn are not to be overlooked, but I doubt seriously they will be. So we look at what may come our way in Atlanta. Are we good enough to beat Georgia? South Carolina? Florida? Again, I don't know why anyone would say we are not. Any of those teams could beat us, yes, but we could beat them just as well. Without luck.

Do we need to improve? Of course. Last year's team was in need of improvement all throughout the season. It wasn't a perfect team. Ditto for 2011. This year is no different. The only "luck" we need is injury luck. Other than that, we're more than good enough, and that's about all any fan can ask for. JMO, though.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Then coach Saban has found a new way to win the NC. Given that has never happened, the better question is how you would feel if we lose the opportunity for a NC because all we could establish was the pass? Personally, I think Saban is working on what comes natural.
There is no new way under the sun to win the NC. You win by scoring more points than the other team, whether you do it by running, passing, or even special teams. You win, by whatever means necessary. That's all Alabama needs to do. Figure out how to win each game. A tall order, yes, but it can be done without the bruising impose your will on the defense running game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Championships are won in the NFL all the time on the strength of passing games. The real differentiator is the defense. If your defense keeps improving, your offense will be more than adequate to win every game that you play.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

There is no new way under the sun to win the NC. You win by scoring more points than the other team, whether you do it by running, passing, or even special teams. You win, by whatever means necessary. That's all Alabama needs to do. Figure out how to win each game. A tall order, yes, but it can be done without the bruising impose your will on the defense running game.
And all this time you would think Saban has been giving lip service to playing to an identity? You establish what you do well and you stay balanced in the execution. It's clear enough what Saban is still trying to do. The second half of the O Miss game should settle that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

And all this time you would think Saban has been giving lip service to playing to an identity? You establish what you do well and you stay balanced in the execution. It's clear enough what Saban is still trying to do. The second half of the O Miss game should settle that.
He is trying to do what he does, but in the end he is going to have to do what his team does best. Last season, against both LSU and aTm, your offense went away from its strength time and again. It almost cost you the LSU game, and did cost you the aTm game. By the time you got to the GA game, it was clear that you were not able to throw all over the field. To beat GA, you were going to have to run, and run, and run some more. Not because that was their weakness, or because it would allow you to shorten the game, but because you would need to score points and your running game was far better than your passing game.

Every year brings new players and new strengths/weaknesses. You try to strengthen your weaknesses through the season, but at some point you do what you do best. By the time you get to LSU, Saban will hopefully have figured that out.

But that is not going to decide this thing for Alabama. Your defense will. Just as it always does.

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011

I don't meant to take sides.

And what if that is not the identity of this team but this team wins a national championship?
We're nowhere near that level. A few teams have looked better than us so far. Not saying they are better than us, but they've certainly looked better than us. If we want to win the NC, we will probably need to assume that identity. Like pretty much every NC team in the last 15 years.

Alabama has one of the best QBs in the nation and one of - if not the - best WR groups. Why can this team not pass more than some would like because that's what Coach Bryant and Stallings did?
Because passing teams always come up short. All it takes is for the QB to have one bad game, throw up 3 INTs, and we lose. Or, one CB having a marvelous day and shutting down our receivers. In the college game, you win by having huge OLines bust up paths for your runningbacks.

This team is good enough to win the NC. Whether they do or not will probably be determined by factors other than coaching and talent.

Here's the thing. Is Alabama, as you've seen them so far this season, good enough to beat LSU?

Are we good enough to beat Georgia? South Carolina? Florida? Again, I don't know why anyone would say we are not. Any of those teams could beat us, yes, but we could beat them just as well. Without luck.

Do we need to improve? Of course. Last year's team was in need of improvement all throughout the season. It wasn't a perfect team. Ditto for 2011. This year is no different. The only "luck" we need is injury luck. Other than that, we're more than good enough, and that's about all any fan can ask for. JMO, though.

Every year, there've been 5 or so teams who are "good enough to win the NC". The biggest difference between us and them is that we ran the ball. Same for Tebow's UF teams. This team as we have right now cannot run. I have no problem with what you said (I completely agree), but, to be honest, I haven't seen the domination yet from this team.

And IDK, our 2011 team was far and away the best team that year. I would even say it was a top 5 team ever. Best ever if we had a WR. It was pretty much perfect. Only knock on it was field goal kicking.

What team has done it like that recently? I'm not contradicting you, but I seriously want to know. In my memory, running games have equaled success (Alabama, LSU, Stanford). While passing games have not (OKST, USC, Oregon, etc).

Championships are won in the NFL all the time on the strength of passing games. The real differentiator is the defense. If your defense keeps improving, your offense will be more than adequate to win every game that you play.
I agree with half of this. They're won in the NFL because NFL linemen are evenly matched. This isn't hte case in college. More often than not, 5 or fewer teams have 95% of the elite linemen in the country.

Also, in the NFL, your WR is going 1v1 or 1v2 in open space versus 1v5+ in the running game.
Not to mention that NFL QBs are able to throw balls perfectly.

College is about exploiting mismatches in the running game. There are only 2-3 teams on the schedule that have the ability to match you in the trenches. You pass against them to open up the trenches (TD to Amari last year against GA.). And then you start pounding again. That's why people like Norwood and Amari and Julio have big games against those kinds of teams. They think we are running because that's what we've done in every other game up til now. And then we torch them and force them to be honest. And then we run again...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

A team has to play the hand it is dealt, every season, every game. Historically Alabama has relied on a bruising run game, unyielding defenses and great special teams to win. This has been the hallmark of the best SEC teams year in and year out. We believe that you run to set up the pass or you only pass when you want to and not when it is obvious; these axioms may be fading into the lore of college football.

If we are to beat the upper echelon in the SEC we will have to out score them and not rely on our defense to shut these teams down. I will always prefer a 21-7 win but we are going to have to realize that a 14 point more than likely against an LSU, UGA, UF or TAMU is going to be a score of 42-28. You get to 42 however you can, by passing or running and hope your defense can make some stops. Unfortunately this is not your father or grandfather's SEC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

College is about exploiting mismatches in the running game. There are only 2-3 teams on the schedule that have the ability to match you in the trenches. You pass against them to open up the trenches (TD to Amari last year against GA.). And then you start pounding again. That's why people like Norwood and Amari and Julio have big games against those kinds of teams. They think we are running because that's what we've done in every other game up til now. And then we torch them and force them to be honest. And then we run again...
I disagree - it is about creating mismatches all over the field, on both offense and defense. You do not need x number of rushing yards to win a championship, you need x number of points - x being equal to one more than your opponent. As one of your posters (TommyMac) so eloquently stated in another thread: "If our offense had not scored a single point so far this season, we'd still be 3-1."

Defense wins championships.

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011

A team has to play the hand it is dealt, every season, every game. Historically Alabama has relied on a bruising run game, unyielding defenses and great special teams to win. This has been the hallmark of the best SEC teams year in and year out. We believe that you run to set up the pass or you only pass when you want to and not when it is obvious; these axioms may be fading into the lore of college football.
But they're not fading. It was literally 12 months ago where we were doing that. And we were not dealt a bad hand. We have Yeldon, Drake, etc. We can make the run game work. We just have to figure out how. You know what I mean?

I disagree - it is about creating mismatches all over the field, on both offense and defense. You do not need x number of rushing yards to win a championship, you need x number of points - x being equal to one more than your opponent. As one of your posters (TommyMac) so eloquently stated in another thread: "If our offense had not scored a single point so far this season, we'd still be 3-1."

Defense wins championships.
Your statement is correct, but it means very little. Points come from yards. Not a fool proof statement. But, generally, if you gain yards consistently, you can put up points consistently. On the other hand, airing it out is high risk high return. Not to mention the side effect of tiring out your own defense. The safest way to gain yards in college is to run the ball. We're simply bigger, stronger, faster, etc than 10 out of our 13 opponents.

Defense wins championships, sure. But not alone. We need to not put the burden on one unit.

And our defense is fine. Not the best I've seen over the last few years. But good enough.

I would bet on our defense to hold hte opponent to 21 points a game. But I wouldn't bet on them to get us pick 6's, fumble TDs, etc. And they shouldn't be pressured to do that. If our offense can start doing something, then we wont be relying on big stops to win.

Last edited:

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

If we are to beat the upper echelon in the SEC we will have to out score them and not rely on our defense to shut these teams down. I will always prefer a 21-7 win but we are going to have to realize that a 14 point more than likely against an LSU, UGA, UF or TAMU is going to be a score of 42-28. You get to 42 however you can, by passing or running and hope your defense can make some stops. Unfortunately this is not your father or grandfather's SEC.
Since when? I'd like to see what you just said proven first. The forward pass and the one dimensional offenses with the leaky defenses has been around a lot longer then you think. Do it consistently in real time and against Alabama and I'm with you. But ultimately, I've always seen great defenses eventually catch up with any scheme. I haven't seen these leaky defenses catching up with Alabama, have you?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I may be mistaken but I think we DID run in the second half of the game Saturday. We had a couple of negative plays - one that AJ should have picked up on when they had an all out run blitz, but we did finish the game with 254 yards rushing. We also had over 200 yards rushing against aTm. We only had 96 yards against VaTech, but GaTech only had 129 yards rushing against them and they have averaged almost 350 YPG in their other 3 games. I think the game that has us all chicken little over the rushing game is the Colorado St. game - and of course the fact that our O-Line was NFL caliber last year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think the game that has us all chicken little over the rushing game is the Colorado St. game - and of course the fact that our O-Line was NFL caliber last year.
Think about that - most really good teams stumble and lose to a team when they show up the way that you did against CSU. At a minimum, they might be lucky to get out of the game with a win. Well, Alabama has not been lucky to get out of any of its games with a win. None of your games were in doubt in the 4th quarter. Heck, I would say that they were all over at half time.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Les Miles has only lost once in 4 games played at BDS. I like our chances this year, but it will be an absolute war. I still think they match up physically with us better than any team in the country.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

I thinks its gonna be a TOUGH one for us, i think what would make me raise an eyebrow would be if the LSU players started talking smack now that would be good for us i think :) surely they have more sense than to do that after what happened to ole miss :wink:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.