If Jack Del Rio goes to USC, do you think Luke might follow?

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I noticed that ESPN is speculating that Del Rio might be hired as the next coach at USC. Do you think Jake would go? If it was my dad I would.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: If Jack Del Rio goes to USC, do you think Jake might follow?

I don't know. Vinny didn't follow Sal to UT, but being the USC QB is a high profile gig. OTOH, If I were Jack, I'd be nervous about going that route. USC is not going to be turned around immediately, and if they struggle for a while, his boy will be an easy target just because he is his boy. Just ask Dan Hawkins. If he feels he can start for us, I'd think he will stay here.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.

Hrmm it would be intriguing to a young man to be yelled at by his father 24/7 I suppose.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Hope not. I love the way he holds that Gatorade towel. :)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Like I said earlier in another thread, I hope he, Del Rio, stays. I think he could be Bama's starting QB next year. Like I said in the other thread, in the Spring game he looked like Cool Hand Luke in his short time on the field. He looked good throwing the ball.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Hrmm it would be intriguing to a young man to be yelled at by his father 24/7 I suppose.
Like a lot of families... If it were me, I'd stay at Alabama.
My father would have wanted me to stay at Alabama too.
I would have bristled up too much to play for my father.
He would have bristled up too much at me...
We had one of those relationships until I got older, then he suddenly seemed to get wiser... ;)

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Jake Del Rio looks too old to play college ball.

Just joshing. :) No, I hope Luke doesn't follow, and I wouldn't think he would as long as he believes he can compete for a starting job. If he doesn't think he can compete or doesn't want to, maybe SC would be a better place for him. I don't expect that to be the case though.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I actually wouldn't be surprised in the least if he did transfer there, playing for his Dad at USCe would be to hard to pass up, and with the stud QB's we lready have at Bama & the ones we have committed in this class..He stands a better chance of playing at USCe I think..And I would totally respect him transferring to play for his Dad..I would actually be surprised if he didn't transfer if his Dad become HC at USCe..

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Luke turned down full schollys to come to Bama for a reason, it's my understanding he is a walk on.
from what I have read he is doing very well, a real smart kid.

I guess if Dad goes to USC he may go depending on the OC hired, but Nuss is getting a very good reputation here & you can see why these kids want to learn from him.

He will win a NC ring before then & who knows after that, I hoe he stays.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Father coaching son in any sport can be a disaster, seen way too many instances where it was a bad situation for both.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I thought the main reason Luke walked on at Bama was to learning real coaching methods and not so much for the playing aspect of being on the team. If he wanted to play, he could have gone any number of really good D-1 schools -- not saying great because we know there is only one great team in D-1. I don't see him going anywhere even if his Dad gets the USC job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.