A few observations about the run game and the OL

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I know this has been hashed and hashed, but as an offensive minded coach, I have looked at the Ole Miss game in particular a couple times and made some observations on what we do poorly, what we do well, and what we can do to hide our limitations.

1) The K-Bros have underwhelmed. Whether it be motivation, new OL coach, or whatever, the left side has not been good. We've seen speed rushes, bull rushes, shooting the gaps, and poor effort (or just slow) on pulling plays all work against the the left side in particular.

2) Kelly did not do poorly prior to his injury against OM. I think Kelly won the job because he is a bit more cerebral (Barret Jones prodigy) in the calls, etc. However, Lindsay is more of a mauler, and that was why I was excited when we got him out of HS. As Lindsay gets more comfortable, I think he will be the long term solution. In comparison to Kelly, I think he is less likely to get pushed back against a solid nose, like LSU's Johnson.

3A) This group zone blocks well. I saw it last year in mop-up duty. They ran B. Sims offensive package well, and that's a true zone L/zone R blocking scheme. Part of the reason is I bet the majority played in a spread in HS. We saw some true zone blocking in the second half.

3B) But....we have to have better blocking from the TE, not only in zone, but all blocking. Vogler got whipped several times against OM, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more Greene against the bigger teams. When we have looked poorly in zone, it's been a tackle or TE issue.

4) We may have to "McElwain" the offense more. Mc's best work was 2009. Not a dominant offensive line, but we could scheme defenses out of position with our formations. We saw that on Yeldon's long run against OM. We ran the same play, (I'd call it 21 left) out of a tight formation earlier in the game and it was stuffed. We run it out of Trips Away, getting one backer outside of the tackle, and we bust a long one. This will help in beating the LSUs and UGAs of the world.

5) Despite our struggles, teams are still loading the box on us. If we can pass block, I will take White, Bell, Coop, and Norwood against both LSU's and UGA's secondaries.

6) Drake grew up a little Saturday and the coaches gave him a big boost of confidence because he was in almost immediately after his fumble. Drake isn't as polished as TJ, but he's more of homerun threat.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
5) Despite our struggles, teams are still loading the box on us. If we can pass block, I will take White, Bell, Coop, and Norwood against both LSU's and UGA's secondaries.
We are still very much a team that throws to open the run, as we have been for the past couple of years. Not that we necessarily do it that way by design, but opposing defenses continue to key the run so much it's really our only option.

Until our offensive line holds up better in pass protection, though, we're going to have some serious issues trying to do that. Problem you have is that with no time to throw, the passing game just contracts tremendously, and you end up with the dink-and-dink passing we had against Ole Miss. If we can pass protect better and really attack the field a bit more in the downfield passing game, I think you'll see the run game open up quite a bit.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Great post. That TE was what caught my untrained eye throughout the first half. Sometimes it seemed obvious who he was to block and he'd saunter right past them. I hope some of it is as coachable as it seems it would be.

EDIT: was just re-watching. On about the only pass thrown to him he slipped tipped the ball to a defender. Just a rough game altogether.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
4) We may have to "McElwain" the offense more. Mc's best work was 2009. Not a dominant offensive line, but we could scheme defenses out of position with our formations. We saw that on Yeldon's long run against OM. We ran the same play, (I'd call it 21 left) out of a tight formation earlier in the game and it was stuffed. We run it out of Trips Away, getting one backer outside of the tackle, and we bust a long one. This will help in beating the LSUs and UGAs of the world.

Spreading them out and creating space via alignment. This is basically what spread/hurry up offenses do to create opportunities for success and it might be something we need to start doing more. Until the light "comes one" for the OL we're not going to be able to line up against anything that even looks like a loaded box and run with any type of success. But our chances of success drastically increases if we spread defenses out and force people out of the box. Creating more one on one situations for our OL'men and RB's. Especially with Drake. I noticed Saturday he runs a lot better in space than he does with a log jam at the LOS. He's just not that Eddie Lacy type back that can bull through those log jams. But when he gets in space the kid can light it up.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Excellent observation RTO. I have seen the same thing on the left side of the line and it is a concern. When Kelly returns any chance Lindsey moves to LG?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Spreading them out and creating space via alignment. This is basically what spread/hurry up offenses do to create opportunities for success and it might be something we need to start doing more. Until the light "comes one" for the OL we're not going to be able to line up against anything that even looks like a loaded box and run with any type of success. But our chances of success drastically increases if we spread defenses out and force people out of the box. Creating more one on one situations for our OL'men and RB's. Especially with Drake. I noticed Saturday he runs a lot better in space than he does with a log jam at the LOS. He's just not that Eddie Lacy type back that can bull through those log jams. But when he gets in space the kid can light it up.
I'm a HS coach, so I know all of our coaches know this.....which is why I think we have been sandbagging to an extent. I don't think it was a coincidence we did the aforementioned play right after halftime to get a true lead.

Also, I didn't mention before, but I think we'll see more screens to the RB coming. So far, we've been primarily bubble and slip screens to the WRs.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Excellent observation RTO. I have seen the same thing on the left side of the line and it is a concern. When Kelly returns any chance Lindsey moves to LG?
Good question. I think we'd see Kellen Williams there first since he is the "sixth starter" but he was obviously not center #2.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Great insight. Always good to hear from someone with some in-depth knowledge. I'm just an arm chair coach that doesn't know much. I too thought Lindsay made an immediate impact in the run game. I also like the observation about spreading them out to run it. I would also like to see us throw in some unconventional throwing situations. I have felt we have run a lot on first down then have the predictable throw on second down. I would love to see a flipping of the script on some of that. Like Bama did in the BCS against the Who's. They were clearly thrown off by the unconventional timing of the play calls. Anything to get the defense off balance as to what is coming will help the offense perform better.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Good post, RTO. I posted in another thread, and wonder if you feel the same way, that over the next few games we will see a huge dose of between the tackle runs vs GaSt, KY, Ark, and UT as we move forward towards the open date and then LSU. 4 consecutive games vs offenses that are not overly powerful, 3/4 at home. Seems like a good time really work on our defense and run game.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
This has been a tough early schedule, but the offense seems out of sync. I was shocked to hear the offensive stats in the post game. It just didn't seem like Alabama played that well. But just keep winning, right?

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
a few comments on my observations during and after the game. my first big happy feeling, was the toughness, aggression exhibited by the redheaded texas, built for power. he was the cog that has been missing all season needed to solidify the middle of the offensive line. we have not been able to get any yardage up the gut until the second half of this game. i also noticed the poor blocking of volger. he seems to be just a little uncoordinated on his attempts to block. i also, have been concerned about cyrus and arie, cyrus a lot of penalties this year, compared to last year. sometimes, i think he is covering for his brother arie. anyway, i am sure our coaches will correct these areas during the next 4 games. will have that period before the big nov 9th showdown.

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009
I'm a HS coach, so I know all of our coaches know this.....which is why I think we have been sandbagging to an extent. I don't think it was a coincidence we did the aforementioned play right after halftime to get a true lead.

Also, I didn't mention before, but I think we'll see more screens to the RB coming. So far, we've been primarily bubble and slip screens to the WRs.
What do you think has happened to our counter running game? Not necessarily counter sweep stuff, but counters from the pistol using H back to kick 5 tech.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Yeah, that rb screen was regular last year. Haven't seen it much this year, perhaps keeping it in the back pocket so that folks forget that we like it so much.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Could not agree more with these observations about the left side of the line. I saw it for myself up close and in person Saturday night. We constantly failed to get a 'hat on a hat' on seemingly play after play in the first half. I think Warmack/Fluker/Jones made someone look better perhaps than he really is. In any event, I think Cy K. might be be better positioned for the NFL draft if he returns for his senior season. He needs more development.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I remember when Warmack had such a rough first season at times. Even Barrett Jones was a bit over matched in his first three games or so. I'm not so surprised about the struggles, but I am surprised Cyrus has taken a step back. It may be related to the fact that he doesn't have a first round draft pick Guard next to him any more. Hopefully they will all continue to work hard the next few weeks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.