Yellow Flag to the Eye

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Does anyone know how the Ole Miss player who got hit in the eye made out? What an unfortunate accident. 99% of you probably remember the NFL player who was blinded for life in one eye.

It seems more lately refs (at least SEC ones) try to chuck the flag into camera view as quickly as possible. Are they taught to do that? Seems like a flag is for throwing upward.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Does anyone know how the Ole Miss player who got hit in the eye made out? What an unfortunate accident. 99% of you probably remember the NFL player who was blinded for life in one eye.

It seems more lately refs (at least SEC ones) try to chuck the flag into camera view as quickly as possible. Are they taught to do that? Seems like a flag is for throwing upward.
I've always thought they attempt to throw it in the general vicinity of where the foul occurred. Anyway, I too hope the player is ok. I remember when that happened to the NFL player (it was the Browns I think).

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
Don't know about the player, but I've been told by a referee friend that the referee that threw the flag has been suspended. Have not seen that reported. If so, I missed it.
According to friend, there are guidelines as to how to throw a flag, which were violated in this case.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The officials should throw it in the direction of the foul, away from players... For example, in the case of holding, don't throw it into the group of lineman, just throw it up to the line of scrimmage. It's that easy...

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
Laying on his stomach with his head up looking outwards trying to see and then throwing the clutched yellow flag he just pulled out of his face mask has stuck with me. What a careless act by the ref.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Does it matter if it's close to where the foul occurred, as long as the flag is thrown, there's a foul made somewhere on the field, don't throw where the Players are laying on the ground, where an accident can happen like that..

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Laying on his stomach with his head up looking outwards trying to see and then throwing the clutched yellow flag he just pulled out of his face mask has stuck with me. What a careless act by the ref.
Come on now... It was just a freak accident. Even if a ref were TRYING to throw a flag into the facemask of a MOVING PLAYER, he'd probably miss 99 times out of 100...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Come on now... It was just a freak accident. Even if a ref were TRYING to throw a flag into the facemask of a MOVING PLAYER, he'd probably miss 99 times out of 100...
True, but if the ref just drops the flag the injury never occurs. What is gained by throwing a flag in the vicinity of the players? For that matter, why is it necessary to have the flags weighted with BB's?

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
there are many penalties that are from the spot of the foul, so the official often tries to throw the flag where the foul was committed. I have often seen them run pick up the flag and move it a yard or two one way or the other. I think that is why they throw t that way. when it is a false start or offsides they just throw it up in the air.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
True, but if the ref just drops the flag the injury never occurs. What is gained by throwing a flag in the vicinity of the players? For that matter, why is it necessary to have the flags weighted with BB's?
I think it's pretty clear that it was all just a bad coincidence for the OM player. He was running, the ref threw the flag in the area he normally would (near the foul), the OM player slid down and the weighted part of the flag just so happened to squeeze into an approx. 3" MOVING opening. You probably couldn't recreate that if you tried.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Not to mention all that was happening at 100 mph. I get just as annoyed with refs as anybody, but I don't see how anyone could really fault him for this. BLAMING him (paranoid OM fans) is even more ridiculous.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think after the Orlando Brown incident they stopped weighting them with BBs. Not sure how they are weighted now.

Crimson Draw

3rd Team
Nov 8, 2008
Quick, unrelated question--that I almost feel embarrassed for asking, but I see this acronym ALL the time and have never once seen it typed out-- What is the REC?

I even Googled it and found nothing! :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.