News Article: RIP Tom Clancy

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
My favorite story I heard about him was when he was getting divorced from his wife, since she had been with him during the early years, she would get a piece of any book that included Jack Ryan for X number of years. He was so cranky about this, he wouldn't write a book with any characters that would get her any money, hence the net ops, and other series that he made.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2838285/posts

Ahh a little clarification, he took a hiatus from Jack during the divorce as it would be part of the settlement.

tambo410

1st Team
Nov 25, 2008
Fallston, MD
www.vrbo.com
Mr. Clancy graduated from my High School and I got to meet him when he came to speak to our Senior Class. Interesting story, is that Jim McKay also graduated from our school and usually was the famous alum that came to speak with the Seniors... We were all a bit disappointed when we got Clancy instead of McKay since his books were forced on us in our summer reading lists (thankfully they were actually good) and we were all more interested in a sports discussion than a chat with a writer.

The only thing I remember of his talk was that he, at the time, had the largest waterfront estate on the Chesapeake Bay (at least that's what he told us) and that he smoked and ashed on the floor, the entire time he was speaking (I wonder if that had anything to do with his passing at such a young age). It was distracting to me as the talk was in our President's lounge, which was considered a place of honor on the campus. No ill will on my part, just an interesting story, i thought.

He did write some really good books though, and was part of the ownership group that, if truth be told, probably saved the Orioles from leaving Baltimore and was able to get Oriole Park at Camden Yards built. This, in addition to his stories, will leave a lasting impression which I greatly appreciate.

RIP fellow Loyola Don...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Aw man. Rest in peace Mr. Clancy. I feel like all my favorite contemporary authors are dead. First Michael Crichton, then Robert Jordan, Now Tom Clancy. Those three guys take up at least 50% of my bookshelf, and all died "young". Glancing at my wall, next we are gonna lose Bernard Cornwell and George RR Martin.

edit: And we lost Vince Flynn too!

sad day. I still say his best book was Red Storm Rising, might have to read it again in his honor
Yes, that is one of my favorite books of his, and no one seems to remember it.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Aw man. Rest in peace Mr. Clancy. I feel like all my favorite contemporary authors are dead. First Michael Crichton, then Robert Jordan, Now Tom Clancy. Those three guys take up at least 50% of my bookshelf, and all died "young". Glancing at my wall, next we are gonna lose Bernard Cornwell and George RR Martin.

edit: And we lost Vince Flynn too!

Yes, that is one of my favorite books of his, and no one seems to remember it.
As I recall, you were going to make your way through the Richard Sharpe books. How far along are you, and what do you think?

Edit: I've only read Red Rabbit. I thought it was a decent read.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
As I recall, you were going to make your way through the Richard Sharpe books. How far along are you, and what do you think?

Edit: I've only read Red Rabbit. I thought it was a decent read.
Yes I like Red Rabbit. I felt like his later books got a little crazy, nuking cities and whatnot. Red Rabbit is good-old fashioned anti-commie spy work.

For Sharpe, I've read through Sharpe's Prey. Have been reading them chronologically (for sharpe). Great series, just have trouble finding the books. Oddly, none of the stores around here carry Sharpe's Rifles which, judging from the TV series, is pretty central to the development of Sharpe's character. I could probably order them all online for relatively cheap, but I have an illogical affinity for brick-and-mortar book stores.

But as far as the reading goes, I can hardly put a book down. Especially when a battle starts, the action rolls non-stop through about 70 pages and next thing you know I've gone from the middle of the book to finishing it in one sitting. Cornwell is very good at building suspense. I don't know if I'd like to meet Sharpe on the street, but the dude is awesome.

Also, for the record, I still haven't picked up Storm of Swords after reading the Red Wedding. It infuriated me a lot lol. Just about to finish a book on WWI (The Guns of August), and when I do I plan on picking that up again. I hear it gets crazier. I love reading, but am unfortunately a slow reader so I am not too good at reading more than one book at a time-I would never finish any. So I've got to finish SoS, then either finish my read through of the Wheel of Time (currently stalled on book 7) before reading the new final book (1000+ pages) or just say screw it and go ahead and read A Memory of Light without the obligatory read-through. Then I will try to get back to Sharpe, and eventually pick up where I left off with the Aubrey-Marturin series by O'Brien (which I haven't finished because I got to the 10-12th book but can't remember which one I stopped on). So all in all, with school and everything, this will take me to the summer to get through.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I honestly had thought he had died a few years ago. I think I had him confused with Robert Ludlum....

66 is young.....RIP

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.