Link: Spurrier, Tanner explain pulling TV Show

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
That is hilarious! But I personally don't blame the guy for having a few beers after the game if that helps him take the edge off. Not making excuses, but football coaches are in a pressure cooker 24/7, and they are grown men...and drinking beer is legal. I'm not a drinker, but if I were in his position, I would have probably waited to pound down a few until after my show. As I remember watching the "Bear Bryant Show", I'm guessing Coach Bryant wasn't totally sober during every taping.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
I don't fault Spurrier for having a few beers after a game...

That said, this is an example of why Nick Saban DOESN'T drink. It gives him a competitive advantage. Today Spurrier is dealing with an embarrassing and distracting story; Saban is working on his next championship.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Bryant's drinking before or during his show was in a different era with different attitudes toward drinking.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
If he wants to have a few drinks, that's ok by me. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I always heard that Coach Bryant added a little something to his Coca cola during his week-end highlight show.
He filmed that on early Sunday morning. Now its a know fact he did like an adult beverage . But in all honesty I dont think he was drinking vodka in his Coke and eating golden flake chips for breakfast on Sundays mornings with Charlie Thornton.

What else did you hear? What his favorite liquor was and how much he drank. IMHO comments like this really have no the football forum.

My grandaddy said if I cant say something nice about someone then dont say anything.

RTR

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He filmed that on early Sunday morning. Now its a know fact he did like an adult beverage . But in all honesty I dont think he was drinking vodka in his Coke and eating golden flake chips for breakfast on Sundays mornings with Charlie Thornton.

What else did you hear? What his favorite liquor was and how much he drank. IMHO comments like this really have no the football forum.

My grandaddy said if I cant say something nice about someone then dont say anything.

RTR
You may get recruited by Kevin Sumlin after that post. He's looking for someone defensive ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I always remember Bryant having his coke in a bottle, so obviously there wasn't anything actually in the coke he had on TV.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.