Link: Nick Saban discusses his 'tremendous amount of respect' for Finebaum

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sometimes the best way to get on a guy's good side is to simply ask what he thinks about something. It confers that you respect his opinion and insinuates that you don't think you have all the answers (you aren't cocky). Saban isn't stupid. A guy with the platform like Finebaum's platform can sink your program.

Look at Gene Chizik's career. Finebaum had about the same opinion of Chizik as he did of Shula. Chizik won a title but as soon as things went bad the whole fanbase had the seeds of doubt to turn on him with the quickness.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Sometimes the best way to get on a guy's good side is to simply ask what he thinks about something. It confers that you respect his opinion and insinuates that you don't think you have all the answers (you aren't cocky). Saban isn't stupid. A guy with the platform like Finebaum's platform can sink your program.

Look at Gene Chizik's career. Finebaum had about the same opinion of Chizik as he did of Shula. Chizik won a title but as soon as things went bad the whole fanbase had the seeds of doubt to turn on him with the quickness.
You are right that Saban isn't stupid and would curry favor with a media personality if he felt it was necessary. But I think that he genuinely respects Finebaum. Even his worst critics with any honesty have to admit he is extremely intelligent; he also has great perception and judgment as Saban acknowledged. Why would you not avail yourself of such a resource ? Finebaum recognized Saban's potential when he first went to LSU, had him on his show and was very complimentary of him. I realize Finebaum has his faults, but his raw intelligence and acute perception is almost unparalleled in college football media, which does not have any Einsteins. Coach Saban is a wise man and fortunate. Paul's and Cecil's combined IQ is probably greater than the aggregate of the next 60 college media types - and they are both from Alabama :D. How's that for shredding a stereotype ?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, Saban wouldn't say it unless he had a genuine respect. I feel that many Alabama coaches in the post-Bryant era would have feared Paul Finebaum and consider him nuisance. Of course, some of it is because Finebaum is pretty astute and would see them for the hacks they were (Shula and Fran).

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Is PF going to sway the BamaNation for or against CNS? No, of course not. Is he the most influential sports media personality in the state who just got his own national gig and, to some extent, a "local boy" gone big time? You betcha. With all the media back lash against us it doesn't hurt to have a national voice that made his career in Alabama and just happens to be BFFs with our coach.

Side note-PF probably does understand the southeastern region mentality better than anyone else in the media in terms of fans, coaches, recruits, and university big wigs. He's a good ally and mouth piece to have in your back pocket if you can keep him there.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Finebaum aided the departure of Shula. He never liked him and the fanbase turned on Shula following a 10-2 season where it was a clear rebuild year.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I've heard that Coach S. and Terry have had dinner with Paul F. and his wife on numerous occasions.
To me it doesn't seem like they'd click but you never know what makes people tick.
I think Finebaum is good from the stance that he say's what he believes and he's very well informed on most sports issues.
However, I'd rather listen to someone grating their fingernails on a chalkboard than to listen to Tammy and most of his regular callers.
I hope his new show does well. I love his show "The List" on the SEC Network.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Finebaum aided the departure of Shula. He never liked him and the fanbase turned on Shula following a 10-2 season where it was a clear rebuild year.
With all dues respect rgw(and I enjoy your posts)..but Shula was taking us in a downhill direction fast. He had great ability and knowledge but his experience level and maturity didn't qualify him to be the coach at UA.

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
With all dues respect rgw(and I enjoy your posts)..but Shula was taking us in a downhill direction fast. He had great ability and knowledge but his experience level and maturity didn't qualify him to be the coach at UA.
Sip, all of your quoted statement is true. But, if I remember right, CMM had a couple of high profile coaches turn him down and when Mama Called, Mike Shula did not hesitate. He was not a great candidate for the HC position - but no one else was interested. As I have said many times, thanks Coach Shula for bringing us out of the wilderness and paving the way for Coach Saban.

gator

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Sip, all of your quoted statement is true. But, if I remember right, CMM had a couple of high profile coaches turn him down and when Mama Called, Mike Shula did not hesitate. He was not a great candidate for the HC position - but no one else was interested. As I have said many times, thanks Coach Shula for bringing us out of the wilderness and paving the way for Coach Saban.

gator
Not to highjack the thread but you can't possibly be serious.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

gator
It's a total fiction that there were no more candidates interested when Shula was hired. Shula was hired because the Bama nation wanted a favorite son...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I can see them being friends. My best friend and I are absolutely nothing alike. If we had known each other in high school we would never in a million years been friends. Now we would be each other best man at the others wedding. The only thing we have in common is we are both architects. so I can see how two very different people could be friends.

as a side note: I have to admit that I have been listening to Finebaum the past couple of weeks. Some of his callers (Barners and Bama fans alike) are just plain embarrassing for their fanbase. I was convinced they were fake people until I was informed by my cousin that he had met "Tammy".
I did not listen today as I was too busy could not.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

gator
I agree with almost all of this. The only issue is that no one else wanted the job. Croon sure did, and others too I'm sure, but it wasn't like it was between Steve Spurrier and Shula.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I remember CNS being a guest on Paul's show when he was at LSU. I think Finebaum has always held him in high regard. Then again, why wouldn't he?

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I remember living in Cleveland and getting a heavy dose of the Big10 on Saturdays. After watching CNS at MSU for a couple of games, I wished that we could bring him to Bama. Well the road (call it the yellow brick road) was a little curvy but my wish came true.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
The myth of Shula gallantly leaving his QB Coach job to sacrifice himself for a lowly head coaching position and millions of dollars never gets old for some people.
Yeah, Shula loves UA so much that he set foot on campus exactly zero times between the end of his "student athlete" career and the day he became head coach. And obviously he's returned exactly zero times since he was fired . . .

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I remember CNS being a guest on Paul's show when he was at LSU. I think Finebaum has always held him in high regard. Then again, why wouldn't he?
Paul worked for a time at a paper in Louisiana. Had a huge man crush on Dale Brown.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.