Here's what we have gathered so far regarding the Clinton-Dix case...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
This is what we're getting from our sources at the moment as to where the case is, the fallout and where it might be going next...

1) At this time, it would not seem the results of the first four games of the season are in any kind of peril.

2) The suspension is expected to be short.

3) There aren't any other players involved.

4) The loan repayment, suspension of Clinton-Dix and discipline of the staff member are expected to be satisfactory punishment.

Having said that, for those who feel it their duty to look for the negative (and I put myself in that category sometimes, unfortunately), the fly in the ointment here is that Clinton-Dix was reported to have received extra benefits from a staff member. That makes it an institutional issue should the NCAA wish to pursue it as such.

In cases in which student-athletes receive benefits from rogue agents, runners or in some cases even boosters, it's a player eligibility issue only, and repayment/suspension ends the process in 99 percent of cases. Had Clinton-Dix not repaid this loan (the Tuscaloosa News story says he provided documentation, but if the staff member said he didn't receive the money, Clinton-Dix has a problem), his eligibility for 2013 (and possibly beyond) very well could have ended last week.

But the person alleged to have made the loan is/was an employee of the school. There is little differentiation at the NCAA level as to how "important" the guy was, in terms of his job duties. He was an athletic department employee, end of story as far as the NCAA is concerned.

In Alabama's favor, just like in the D.J. Fluker case we outlined just after it broke, the trump card in Alabama's deck is this was a self-reported violation, compliance handled it swiftly as soon as being made aware of it, and there was apparently no attempt to cover it up (in the Fluker case, Alabama had already reported it to the NCAA well in advance of any published story). I don't know for sure, obviously, but I wouldn't expect the staff member to be retained. For those who want to take a shoot, shovel and shut up approach to compliance, this is exactly why you don't, because in the end it doesn't appear this is going to rise to the level of something more than what it already is.

Obviously, Alabama will continue to investigate the depth of the problem and something else could come out that isn't already known, but if this is it, I don't expect to see it develop beyond an eligibility issue for Clinton-Dix and an employment issue for the staff member.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Thanks for the update and glad to see everyone, including the university getting out ahead of the story.

Hopefully, the staff member will be severely disciplined, as in no longer retained. He or she should have known better.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I usually get my stuff from people who promised somebody else that they would keep it a secret. ~ Walter Winchell
The late Jay Lisby, who used to run the BamaMag site - and was a hell of a good guy - said the definition of a "secret" was something you only told your five closest friends... :D

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I'm not going to get all hot and bothered over this situation. Coach is getting paid the big bucks and he and the compliance staff are handling it. Ha Ha and the staff member were idiots to get involved in anything like this.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
That assistant strength coach must be a DA! He let his head coach down, he let the team he works for down, he let all other assistant coaches down, and the University of Alabama. All people make mistakes but don't take a job in this business unless you are going to do the right things in the right way. The stakes are too high and the grief Bama's head coach, assistant coaches, players, students, fans, et al get in the media is intolerable. He didn't set a good example for an athlete either.

He should have shown the rules to the player and told him I can't loan you money because I want to see you play and don't want to see you suspended.

Can a player borrow that kind of money from a teammate without being suspended?

The assistant strength coach needs to be the one in Coach Saban's doghouse!

I had been online earlier in the day and just happened to turn the TV on ESPN's PTI and was sort of shocked with those knuckleheads.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Excellent news!!! As I said in the other big thread, the more that comes out about this matter the less troublesome it really seems to be.

This is why we (Tidefans Board Members) should not jump to rash conclusions when these matters break on Twitter, Net. etc.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep I agree the coach can kiss his career goodbye more than likely. He was only making $43k a year, but I would take that to be a coach at Bama. There is no way he thought this was truly a good idea, I've never seen a coach say giving a kid money was o.k.

I never worried over it and figured from the start Clinton-Dix gets 3 games max just because. Two might be more of the right call but you never know these days. I say the NZAA says that is fine and are done with it.

You still can't help but wonder, what was Harris thinking???

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.