What's The Deal With Chris Black?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Wasn't that before today?

Yeah, sounds like a quote from last month.

I wonder if Cooper can't get going in the first half of a game, do they try putting Chris Black in. This could also motivate Cooper a little more, if his issue is more of a mental thing.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I agree that Black is too good to keep off the field. I would also think there is a sense of urgency to play this year while AJ is still here to throw the ball.

With Cooper still struggling, it may be that Black is that receiver with that special degree of separation. But we are seeing just how deep this team is at all positions. There are also some big arms in T-Town, with more on the way. We were told this week, by the coaches, that Grant Hill was playing and by the way, we think he's the 5th best O-lineman we have. When it's time for a QB change, we will find out fast enough, we haven't been told the half of that, either.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just think when it all comes together just how Good they will be.

Only one football, so seeing White, Jones, Norwood & Bell taking advantage of their opportunities..

I think we will see a little more from Black but I have to think Cooper is going to break out of whatever he is in now.

Name another team with 6 quality receivers like we have.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Just think when it all comes together just how Good they will be.

Only one football, so seeing White, Jones, Norwood & Bell taking advantage of their opportunities..

I think we will see a little more from Black but I have to think Cooper is going to break out of whatever he is in now.

Name another team with 6 quality receivers like we have.
This is exactly what I was thinking yesterday watching Georgia yesterday with all their WR injuries and seeing guys out there that did not look like SEC WR (the RB situation also). We are blessed to have a ton of WR and RB depth.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Well, not sure I have my timing correct, but I thought Parker Barrineau got in the game before CB; I know he has played in games before (pretty sure he played in A&M game). Where did he come from?

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Well, not sure I have my timing correct, but I thought Parker Barrineau got in the game before CB; I know he has played in games before (pretty sure he played in A&M game). Where did he come from?
Walk-on from aca in tuscaloosa. Pretty sure his first career action game against Colorado state.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
This is exactly what I was thinking yesterday watching Georgia yesterday with all their WR injuries and seeing guys out there that did not look like SEC WR (the RB situation also). We are blessed to have a ton of WR and RB depth.
Gary Danielson commented on this issue during the UGA/ Tenn game.

he said that some people thought Saban and Bama were silly signing too many RBs in last year's class. but now with the injuries to Gurley and Marshall, you can NEVER have enough depth at RB esp. in the SEC. again, Saban is ahead of the curve albeit from past experiences.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I understand CNS' stance, but I don't see why Chris can't be incorporated in the rotation. He's shown enough to warrant more playing time.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I know Saban has said that it is hard to find snaps for Chris Black because who he'd have to keep off the field to play Chris.

The question at this juncture is whether a 100% Chris Black is better than an obviously 75% or lower Amari Cooper? I'd argue that Black deserves some of Cooper's snaps right now. Limiting Cooper's snaps may help get him back to 100% before the end of the season and frankly Chris Black seems more likely to add that pop-play potential off screens than Cooper right now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I know Saban has said that it is hard to find snaps for Chris Black because who he'd have to keep off the field to play Chris.

The question at this juncture is whether a 100% Chris Black is better than an obviously 75% or lower Amari Cooper? I'd argue that Black deserves some of Cooper's snaps right now. Limiting Cooper's snaps may help get him back to 100% before the end of the season and frankly Chris Black seems more likely to add that pop-play potential off screens than Cooper right now.
I'm not sure they play the same position. Black has been lining up in the slot most of the time and Amari is always outside. I think Chris has shown in this game he deserves more snaps and I think we will see more of him in the coming weeks.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It would be more of a calculus thing: play Christion Jones or DeAndrew White more at Cooper's spot and get Black on the field on the slot spots

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
CNS has said that his intention was to give some of the Scout Team Guys a few snaps...they are invaluable to the team but go largely unnoticed for their hard work. Could explain why some guys got in earlier than others. JMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.