Watching 30 for 30: The U

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My good friend, Miami fan, hushes his mouth when I bring up the 93 Sugar Bowl. We didn't know it then, but it was over before it began. They didn't even score an offensive touchdown. Didn't Toretta win this Heisman that year.

Sent from my iPhone
Yes, he did.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They scored 60+ I believe. Made an impression on me. Had me worried about the championship game. Turned out MORE than ok.
OK, I think you're thinking of the 1992 game: 63-17.

Is that correct? The 1991 game was actually not so bad.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He should have given back at halftime.

Sent from my iPhone
To be fair, they only trailed 13-6 at the half. It was the second half that cemented his legacy as a Heisman choke artist. Torretta even said, "The entire second half was a blur out there." Looked shell shocked.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In the interest of time I'm only going to list a handful of players that were/are better than Johnny manziel. Ray Lewis, warren sapp, Michael Irvin, Ed reed, Andre Johnson, Jim Kelly, edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Cortez Kennedy and with the exception of ken Dorsey pretty much eerrbody on the '01 canes team.
Not a single one of those players was better IN COLLEGE than Johnny Manziel.

Not one. Yes, they were better pros than he was, but you have to compare at the same age, not what eventually happened.

To be fair, they only trailed 13-6 at the half. It was the second half that cemented his legacy as a Heisman choke artist. Torretta even said, "The entire second half was a blur out there." Looked shell shocked.
True. I just meant he would have saved some face... I just wish they wouldn't have ran that punt back.

Sent from my iPhone

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
True. I just meant he would have saved some face... I just wish they wouldn't have ran that punt back.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, that was our only low moment of the entire game. Other than that it was probably the most fun game I've ever watched as a Tide fan.

My only regret? I lived in Biloxi at the time and we were newly married and my wife was willing for us to put it on a credit card and go (I had only about $700 total of debt back then - the good ole days). But I just had fears of a repeat of 1990 and wouldn't do it.

One of my biggest regrets in life - when I could have gone (no motel necessary) and wife was willing but didn't.

Yeah, that was our only low moment of the entire game. Other than that it was probably the most fun game I've ever watched as a Tide fan.

My only regret? I lived in Biloxi at the time and we were newly married and my wife was willing for us to put it on a credit card and go (I had only about $700 total of debt back then - the good ole days). But I just had fears of a repeat of 1990 and wouldn't do it.

One of my biggest regrets in life - when I could have gone (no motel necessary) and wife was willing but didn't.
I still go back and watch that game. At that point, I'd never seen anything like that on defense. I was only 12 at the time. It was a thing of beauty.

$700 in debt? Wow!! I wonder what does that look like? lol

Sent from my iPhone

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've seen this 30 for 30 several times, and while most of it leaves me smh, I've always enjoyed it. This and 'Pony Excess' (SMU) are my two favs. Really well done documentaries, imo.

BTW - Amazon Prime members can stream these for free any time you want.
I actually enjoyed the SMU 30 for 30 better , I thought it was ESPN's best documentary of the bunch myself..The part when someone said Texas A&M became known as "Texas Trans A&M" by recruits & recruiters, makes me laugh everytime I see that part..Especially when Dickerson kept the Trans AM after he got when he committed to Texas or was it Texas A&M & ended up signing with SMU(Dickerson was & still a smug you what about his cheating)..That documentary showed how bad & deep cheating was in that era of college football..

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed the SMU 30 for 30 better , I thought it was ESPN's best documentary of the bunch myself..The part when someone said Texas A&M became known as "Texas Trans A&M" by recruits & recruiters, makes me laugh everytime I see that part..Especially when Dickerson kept the Trans AM after he got when he committed to Texas or was it Texas A&M & ended up signing with SMU(Dickerson was & still a smug you what about his cheating)..That documentary showed how bad & deep cheating was in that era of college football..
Funny how they showed Alabama there after they went down!

Sent from my iPhone

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If their were going to do the Bama-Penn State series, they might as well start at the 1959 Liberty Bowl. It was Bryant's first bowl here, the first Liberty Bowl and the first time we played against black players.

Then you can throw in the 1975 Sugar Bowl. First game in the Superdome.

chattabama12

Scout Team
Oct 22, 2008
Not a single one of those players was better IN COLLEGE than Johnny Manziel.

Not one. Yes, they were better pros than he was, but you have to compare at the same age, not what eventually happened.
I totally misunderstood what you meant. My bad. But I think there may be a name or to on that list that I would take before Manziel in college. We'll leave that discussion for another day though. Game is about to kick, you guys have fun today.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I totally misunderstood what you meant. My bad. But I think there may be a name or to on that list that I would take before Manziel in college. We'll leave that discussion for another day though. Game is about to kick, you guys have fun today.
No, that's fine. And I wasn't touting Manziel, others were. But my apologies too, the context was in college.

I seriously doubt Manziel will go revolutionize the NFL game. He won't be in the same universe of the guys you listed - I concur.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I still go back and watch that game. At that point, I'd never seen anything like that on defense. I was only 12 at the time. It was a thing of beauty.

$700 in debt? Wow!! I wonder what does that look like? lol

Sent from my iPhone
Yea I remember I was 12 and watched it by myself at my Father's house in Tallassee, it was probably the most fun I ever had watching one game. I'm surprised the neighbors didn't dial 911, I got pretty loud in there for a skinny white kid.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.