SI: Even the messes are bigger in Texas

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
http://m.si.com/3454940/what-happened-to-university-of-texas-athletics/

Texas’ spiral from widespread athletic prominence to the depths of uncertainty has an obvious flash point. It came on Jan. 7, 2010, in the first quarter of the BCS championship game against Alabama in Pasadena, Calif. Quarterback Colt McCoy led Texas to an undefeated 2009 season, which included the team’s last victory over Oklahoma, and finished third in Heisman Trophy voting. But on Texas’ fifth offensive play, Crimson Tide defensive lineman Marcell Dareus crushed McCoy, ending his night with a nerve injury in his (right) throwing shoulder.

“We win the game with Colt, no question,” Dodds said, his confidence as distinct as the creases in his jeans. “We win the game. That’s two national championships in a five-year period.”
In Texas, they don't just cry over spilled milk. They never clean up the curdled milk.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They fell off the cliff because they were looking backward instead of forward.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Taking credit for a title you might have won if ....

... Colt hadn't gotten hurt?

Pitiful, absolutely pitiful. I am starting to understand the rest of the Big 12's contempt for UT.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
when you don't want RG111, Johnny Football, and Jamis winston said he wanted to go there but they didn't recruit him. I think you have problems....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Taking credit for a title you might have won if ....

... Colt hadn't gotten hurt?

Pitiful, absolutely pitiful. I am starting to understand the rest of the Big 12's contempt for UT.
It's absolutely absurd. One guy even excused Trent's long run on a OLB biting inside. Therefore, the TD never really happened. Also, the Dareus TD never happened because the ball took a funny trajectory. Duh! It's not round. It takes odd bounces. What matters is what the other team does with the chances it has. Since we've come to know Saban better, we know that their failed comeback came from two factors - we had a QB who could hardly throw from injuries (lose Colt? - ha! How about the whole game with a lame QB). The other factor was CNS' tendency as a defensive coach to take the foot off the accelerator and depend on the defense. I guess they have more excuses than a porcupine has quills...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
May they ever rot in their failure to live up to expectations, like Uncle Rico forever staring at that distant mountain, swearing he could throw the football a quarter mile and that they would have won state if Coach had only put him in...

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
Everything IS bigger in Texas, especially the whining. But everyone knows McCoy getting hurt was the downfall of Texas basketball, baseball, and basket weaving and is what brought on global warming and famine in many areas of Africa. If McCoy hadn't gotten hurt, we would be having world peace and everyone in Africa would be driving Mercedes.

And that's a FACT. So says Texas fans.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
I found a picture of what Colt would have looked like in the BCSNCG if he had not been injured. Lets just call it a glimpse into an alternate past

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Are we fully convinced that Colt was really even THAT hurt? He sure seemed like he was having a good time with Vince Young on the sidelines....I, for one, have always been a little bit skeptical of that injury.
What is your alternate theory?

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Are we fully convinced that Colt was really even THAT hurt? He sure seemed like he was having a good time with Vince Young on the sidelines....I, for one, have always been a little bit skeptical of that injury.
I have no doubt it was legitimate. Why on Earth would a guy take himself out of the most important game of his life?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think the most popular conspiracy theory (and it's not held only by Bama fans - a lot of B12 fans subscribe to it) is that he father got alarmed (what do fathers have any business on the sidelines?) and refused to let him go back in for fear of permanent injury and damage to his future NFL career. Of course, if he could have seen into the future, maybe he wouldn't have worried about that...

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Honestly, I have just wondered how hurt he really was. I watched him almost the entire rest of the game on the sidelines (when play wasn't going on) and he just didn't have the body language or demeanor of a typical injured player. I think the camera even caught him once laughing with VY until he noticed that the camera was on him and quickly did away with the smile and stepped forward as to remove himself from the conversation and act concerned about the game. I do fully believe that he was really "hurt", but "injured", to me, is something entirely different.

Other than the NFL, I have no real thoughts as to why he would be motivated to remove himself from the game. That is something that, even if the "theory" were true, no one could really ever prove but him any way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.