Falcons Fear Julio is Out for Remainder of Season With Foot Injury

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
The Falcon's season is over, so Julio might as well shut it down and save his body some wear and tear. He is a warrior on the field and takes a much greater beating than most WRs.
Just not his style...he will go as long as he can (which is a LOOONG way compared to others). Hope he is alright, but hopefully the Docs hold him out cause he will go in if they let him.

Last edited:

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So a question for our Tidefans medical staff, what is his prognosis? Will it just be surgery to replace the screw then rehab, or is it something that will hurt his "beast mode"?

It is kind of a freak year for our Bama NFL'ers first Rashad Johnson loses the tip of his finger now Julio breaks a screw.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Ahem, Calvin Johnson?
I would take Julio Jones over the megatron yes. Absolutely, Calvin is another great one, but I still think Julio is a class higher, give Julio the same years to grow into his system like CJ has and Julio will have the better numbers! But I'm biased, I'm obsessed with all things JJ. He's just so awesome!

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Ahem, Calvin Johnson?
Calvin Johnson 1st 3 seasons:
45 games played
193 catches on 382 targets
3071 yards, 21 TD

Julio Jones 1st 3 seasons (2 and a half actually):
34 games played
174 catches on 285 targets
2737 yards, 20 TD

And personally, I've seen Julio make much more impressive catches than Calvin. I'd take Julio over Calvin on my team.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
defense specifically secondary. when you make Geno Smith look like Peyton Manning things are really bad.

O-line, Ryan is running for his life half the time.
I would argue it is the pass rush as much as it is the secondary. Losing Kroy Bierman to injury really hurt there, and Osi is getting schemed away. There's two rookie corners in because there have been injuries to both starting CBs.

The Falcons also have an offensive line that Brodie looks at and says "thank goodness I never had to play behind that"

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Hate to say it but Calvin is a better wr at this point. I think y'all are starting to show y'all's homer side. But I think Julio has solidified himself as a top 5, probably top 3 reciever in the league which is still beyond impressive.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Calvin Johnson 1st 3 seasons:
45 games played
193 catches on 382 targets
3071 yards, 21 TD

Julio Jones 1st 3 seasons (2 and a half actually):
34 games played
174 catches on 285 targets
2737 yards, 20 TD

And personally, I've seen Julio make much more impressive catches than Calvin. I'd take Julio over Calvin on my team.
I don't recall Calvin having a hall of fame TE on this team or another elite WR.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
He's also been in the league for 4 more years. I was saying that at the 3 year mark their numbers are similar and when you look at the catches Julio makes plus the fact that he could have 10 more years in the league, I would prefer him. Sorry that makes me a total homer and incapable of a solid opinion.

And yes, having a great TE and WR around you takes pressure off, it also takes away a bunch of targets. Notice this year with Gonzalez doing nothing for the first 3 games and no other receiver doing much, Julio leads the league in receptions and yards.

Hate to say it but Calvin is a better wr at this point. I think y'all are starting to show y'all's homer side. But I think Julio has solidified himself as a top 5, probably top 3 reciever in the league which is still beyond impressive.

Last edited:

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I think you could argue Julio is a better pick today if you're building a franchise, but to say Julio is straight up better right now? That's crazy homerism.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He's also been in the league for 4 more years. I was saying that at the 3 year mark their numbers are similar and when you look at the catches Julio makes plus the fact that he could have 10 more years in the league, I would prefer him. Sorry that makes me a total homer and incapable of a solid opinion.

And yes, having a great TE and WR around you takes pressure off, it also takes away a bunch of targets. Notice this year with Gonzalez doing nothing for the first 3 games and no other receiver doing much, Julio leads the league in receptions and yards.
Are you going off their first 3 years alone or future? Of course, Julio has Calvin beat in regards to their future since he's younger.

You made my point about Calvin not having a supporting cast like Julio (and I'm not sure I would call Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White a "supporting cast"). Calvin was the Lions' offense for several years. Teams knew to cover him, but he still made plays. Plus, the Lions were and are bad. The Falcons have been good since Julio entered the league.

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
I don't even know if Julio has Calvin Johnson beat in terms of the future.

One of them is smaller (comparatively) , weaker (comparatively, and slower. And injury prone.

The other is the opposite of all of those.

I'd take Cj for the next 5 years. I'd take Julio instead of any receiver except CJ and AJ.
Not because of potential, but because of injury history.

And discounting injury history is like saying "TMac would be better than Kobe Bryant if he hadn't been injured all the time". Well, maybe, but he was injured. You can't just ignore that.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
Julio is still so young. Receivers with his build can play for 15 years and I can see Julio not peaking for another 6 years. He was one of those rare recruits that could have gone straight to the NFL to learn on the job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.