Why is Jameis Winston in Tallahassee?

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Driskel isn't playing minor league baseball. He signed a deal but isn't playing. That's the perfect example of how ridiculous the SEC rule is.
Well that's makes as much sense as me becoming a head coach but can't coach for a year.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Three things that I can say with a pretty fair degree of certainty.

1. JW wanted the baseball option.
2. Dameuyene Craig is a sorry human being who convinced JW and his family that UA doesn't play black quarterbacks.
3. Daddy Winston got to know Cecil Newton.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
So he could play earlier and their resume of having great minority quarterbacks. What else could it be, no other #1 players have slipped past us.

I guarantee you he did research on the probability of AJ coming back for his senior year, which I never predicted he would not do.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Jameis and his family are good people. Jameis is a very smart kid and will do well with whatever he chooses. He has a level head and made the decision on what he felt was best for him. Looks like ha made a good choice as he played lights out in baseball for FSU this year and is being talked about for the Heisman already. He takes his academics seriously and is doing well there also. I think the point in the article about asking the coached to show a plan in how they would allow for him to play baseball gives us the answer. I see the Craig issue rearing it's ugly head but I do not believe that Jameis would fall for the "Bama doesn't play black QB" crap. That is insulting to Jameis' intelligence.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
"Bama doesn't play black QB" crap. That is insulting to Jameis' intelligence.
But that Florida State has an established record for having great black QB's can't be ignored. I have no doubt that he would have been out starter next year, but he is starting now on a rising team, and a very exciting time at FSU. An unbiased opinion would probably be that he made a good choice.

So maybe not Alabama's lack of as much as FSU'S track record of, and potential to start earlier.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
The barners say that they were "about to sign him" or some type of nonsense like that. He wasn't ever seriously considering the barn at any point, was he?

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
The barners say that they were "about to sign him" or some type of nonsense like that. He wasn't ever seriously considering the barn at any point, was he?
LOL. Who cares? That's just loser barker talk. "Almost signing" him isn't gonna win any games. They "almost" won the 2009 Iron Bowl too.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk now Free

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The racial questions are ridiculous. They used to say that crap back in the 80's when I was at Alabama and it was absolutely untrue back then, For that matter before that Walter Lewis was a very popular and loved quarterback for the Tide. How much more now is such a thing untrue. The best player plays.

You don't get bonus points for being black, white, or anything else. Not at Quarterback, not at any position. Not one member of the media has had anything nice to say about Blake Sims. His biggest supporter is Nick Saban. He has three milky white boys behind him he could be playing but instead Saban is playing Sims, why? because he earned it. and if Sims doesn't start the 2014 season it will be because he either got hurt, or somebody beat him out.

I've heard nothing but good things about Winston and I refuse to believe he would be so gullible as to believe a load of crap like that. I think the chance to play early AND play baseball is the primary reason he left.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Jameis and his family are good people. Jameis is a very smart kid and will do well with whatever he chooses. He has a level head and made the decision on what he felt was best for him. Looks like ha made a good choice as he played lights out in baseball for FSU this year and is being talked about for the Heisman already. He takes his academics seriously and is doing well there also. I think the point in the article about asking the coached to show a plan in how they would allow for him to play baseball gives us the answer. I see the Craig issue rearing it's ugly head but I do not believe that Jameis would fall for the "Bama doesn't play black QB" crap. That is insulting to Jameis' intelligence.
If Jameis is serious about academics, then Bama was the better choice since it is a higher ranked academic institution - at least according to US News and World Report. In fact, the 4th highest public university among the 13 public SEC schools, behind UF, UGA and A&M, ahead of Missouri. When Winston said Bama academics were OK and FSU's were good, I knew he was full of hot air, also that he would be going to FSU and was looking for anything negative to reinforce his desire to go to FSU; which of course is his pregogative.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
As I recall, he stated Alabama did not need a great quarterback to win national championships and they would continue to win them without one. Which led me to believe he had been recruited well into believing his talents would not be recognized at Bama like they would at Florida State.

edit - And he could play baseball as well at FSU.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
If Jameis is serious about academics, then Bama was the better choice since it is a higher ranked academic institution - at least according to US News and World Report. In fact, the 4th highest public university among the 13 public SEC schools, behind UF, UGA and A&M, ahead of Missouri. When Winston said Bama academics were OK and FSU's were good, I knew he was full of hot air, also that he would be going to FSU and was looking for anything negative to reinforce his desire to go to FSU; which of course is his pregogative.
I never heard Jameis knock Alabama's academics.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
As I recall, he stated Alabama did not need a great quarterback to win national championships and they would continue to win them without one. Which led me to believe he had been recruited well into believing his talents would not be recognized at Bama like they would at Florida State.

edit - And he could play baseball as well at FSU.
i doubt very seriously that he would put up the same gaudy numbers at Bama. Bama is more balanced and conservative IMO.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Race has nothing to do with the Alabama QB, but athleticism does. I don't think Saban wants a QB can run. There is to much risk that an athletic QB would do his own thing instead of the teams' thing. Saban wants control over the leader of his offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.