Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

The Ghost Of Speedy Cannon

A friend of mine that's related to a Player on Wellborn's team, that actually played in the game, when Speedy died posted this SI article on Facebook & I wanted to share it with you all on TideFans..This story really hits close to home, cause I live in the Wellborn area, went school there, and both my Baby Girls are in school at Wellborn..I've always heard stories about the accident, and I do believe it was not intentional to kill "Speedy", this happened in the 70's & of course there was racism everywhere in the United States, I honestly think it was just an unfortunate accident..

It's a really long story, if you have the time, read it cause it's a really really good article..It takes you back to a completely different time..There's a videos of the play at the end of the article that you can view the hit & judge for yourself..It's amazing how much things have changed since then..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team CrimsonTheory's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Nerdy on TideFans.com

Re: The Ghost Of Speedy Cannon

Do I believe there were racists on Wellborn's team and in their stands? Yes. Do I think there was a segment of them that were happy Speedy died? No doubt? Do I think "#70" intended to kill Cannon? No. I do believe it was a cheap shot but not one intended to kill Cannon. It was an unfortunate accident that just so happen it occurs during perhaps one of the most tumultuous times in American history. I simply wish that Kirkland guy could give a more detail account from his POV as he came off as being vague. I cannot image the situation he was put through, but I was hoping he would have more context to this whole story.

Sad story.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I went to JHS in the mid-nineties for several years. I never knew about this. Thanks for sharing.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTheory View Post
    Do I believe there were racists on Wellborn's team and in their stands? Yes. Do I think there was a segment of them that were happy Speedy died? No doubt? Do I think "#70" intended to kill Cannon? No. I do believe it was a cheap shot but not one intended to kill Cannon. It was an unfortunate accident that just so happen it occurs during perhaps one of the most tumultuous times in American history. I simply wish that Kirkland guy could give a more detail account from his POV as he came off as being vague. I cannot image the situation he was put through, but I was hoping he would have more context to this whole story.

Sad story.
    Exactly..As well written as the article was, it could have been even better, with a little more informative research..I just dropped my girls off at school, and rode by the stadium, and thought about this article as I rode by it..I don't think it was an intentional deliberate shot at taking his life..
    Last edited by TideMan09; October 10th, 2013 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    I went to JHS in the mid-nineties for several years. I never knew about this. Thanks for sharing.
    This is the only article I actually remember seeing bout what had truly happened..

Post Thanks / Like

When did Wellborn get moved to Sand Mountain? After reading that inaccuracy, I had to question the other recollections.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TideMan, a very interesting and well written article. It is one of those occurrences in life where there is neither a right or wrong answer and as the years pass the ability to understand what happened becomes clouded. Good read, thanks again.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kah13 View Post
    When did Wellborn get moved to Sand Mountain? After reading that inaccuracy, I had to question the other recollections.
    The article didn't say but Lamb could have been an Army brat, which means he might not know about Sand Mountain. I grew up in South Alabama, lived in Gadsden for a while and dated a girl from Anniston but while I've heard of Sand Mountain I have no idea where or what it is.

I graduated from HS in 1972 and our school had become integrated a couple of years prior with no racial problems. In fact our football team welcomed blacks because we needed the extra players. All the schools we played back then had become integrated and I don't recall their being any racial animus in any of our games. I would hope there was nothing like that in the death of the young man in the article.

BamaNation First Team wishbonedays's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the article and thought it was a good read...I had never heard of the incident beforehand. I saw the video clip and, while it appeared to be a cheap shot at worst, I don't think it was meant to kill. We played Wellborn in a playoff game a few years later when I was a soph...we had black players on our team and I don't recall any racists threats or remarks...but that was quite a while back...my memory is subject to failures and gaps just like everyone else.
    A really sad story all around...sounds like Speedy Cannon was a fine young man...tragic.
    22 30
    "If I didn't think you could do it, I wouldn't ask you to try."
    Coach Paul Bryant, telling his players of the switch to the wishbone, Fall camp 1971.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    The article didn't say but Lamb could have been an Army brat, which means he might not know about Sand Mountain. I grew up in South Alabama, lived in Gadsden for a while and dated a girl from Anniston but while I've heard of Sand Mountain I have no idea where or what it is.

I graduated from HS in 1972 and our school had become integrated a couple of years prior with no racial problems. In fact our football team welcomed blacks because we needed the extra players. All the schools we played back then had become integrated and I don't recall their being any racial animus in any of our games. I would hope there was nothing like that in the death of the young man in the article.
    Sand Mountain is a foothill of the Appalachian Mountain range that begins somewhere in Jackson or DeKalb county and extends into the heart of Marshall County. The cities of Albertville, Boaz, and Guntersville are pretty much Sand Mountain.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the article's ambivalence. Like a lot of events it's not so cut and dry. It's funny how people's memories of the same event can differ so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Sand Mountain is a foothill of the Appalachian Mountain range that begins somewhere in Jackson or DeKalb county and extends into the heart of Marshall County. The cities of Albertville, Boaz, and Guntersville are pretty much Sand Mountain.
    I just think of Sand Mountain as that snake handlin' church region. The place we Alabamians don't talk about.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by kah13 View Post
    Yeah that was odd about the article..He did correct it & state Wellborn is in the Anniston area later on within the article..

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Thanks TideMan, a very interesting and well written article. It is one of those occurrences in life where there is neither a right or wrong answer and as the years pass the ability to understand what happened becomes clouded. Good read, thanks again.
    I'm going to Wellborn's football game Friday night, and I usually sit with a bunch of Wellborn Alumni..I'm going to inquire with them as to what they all know about the death of Speedy..

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonedays View Post
    I read the article and thought it was a good read...I had never heard of the incident beforehand. I saw the video clip and, while it appeared to be a cheap shot at worst, I don't think it was meant to kill. We played Wellborn in a playoff game a few years later when I was a soph...we had black players on our team and I don't recall any racists threats or remarks...but that was quite a while back...my memory is subject to failures and gaps just like everyone else.
    A really sad story all around...sounds like Speedy Cannon was a fine young man...tragic.
    Exactly..It was a definite cheap shop, and I have no doubt the Wellborn Coaches may have told the team to take "Speedy" out of the game, does that translate into kill the boy, no way is that what the coaches told the team..We're a proud bunch here in the Wellborn area, we love our Panther Football, I've never seen racism like we're renown for..Some of the absolute nicest & friendliest folks in the world live in Wellborn.. And "Speedy" sounded like a great guy & a really really good football player..It's a tragic event that we all wish had never ever happened..