Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: The Ghost Of Speedy Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    I just think of Sand Mountain as that snake handlin' church region. The place we Alabamians don't talk about.
    I thought that was Walker County.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Old memories of a tragic event - but the tragedy comes after the actual event, so the memory isn't burned into memory like a terrorist attack, or watching someone die in front of you. The brain does strange things then, filling in the gaps with assumptions based on your own bias. Without a time machine, no one will ever know the whole story.
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I thought that was Walker County.
    Did you know that Jasper, the Walker County seat, once had more millionaires per population than any city in the United States.
    There were 10,000 people and about 500 millionaires, largely based on the coal mining industry.
    It's actually a very wonderful class of people overall and I'm very proud to have grown up there.
    sip

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Did you know that Jasper, the Walker County seat, once had more millionaires per population than any city in the United States.
    There were 10,000 people and about 500 millionaires, largely based on the coal mining industry.
    It's actually a very wonderful class of people overall and I'm very proud to have grown up there.
    sip
    Sip, I'm proud of Sand Mountain. It's where I was born and raised, and I still live in the shadow of it.

I was just being facetious. No harm intended.

So for clarification: Sand Mountain = backwoods superstitious yokels, Walker County = coal barons who walk on streets of gold.

BamaNation Second Team

Story brought back some bad memories for me- I was only 11 years old at the time but remember this very well. Attended his funeral and knew the family- graduated from Jacksonville High School in 1980. There was always a "feeling" around town that Wellborn targeted Speedy to get him out of that game- but certainly very few people really believed that anyone was trying to kill this great kid. His death hung over the school and town for quite some time. I have seen this film on several occasions when I was in High School- some coaches at the school showed this to our baseball team one day. It was a very different time back then- sad story about a young life that was ended way too soon. It was actually too tragic for anyone to accept- but yes, I do believe this was more accidental than intentional.

BamaNation Second Team

I have no doubt there are fine people that live in the Wellborn area-but it really was different in the 70"s everywhere in Alabama and west Anniston was a rough area back in that time. Played baseball at JHS and we played Wellborn one afternoon when the school was let out to see the game-there were guys smoking pot sitting on the outfield fence and someone's mother was poking her umbrella through the dugout fence during the game. Really had to watch what you said and did when in that part of town back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    Yeah that was odd about the article..He did correct it & state Wellborn is in the Anniston area later on within the article..

I'm going to Wellborn's football game Friday night, and I usually sit with a bunch of Wellborn Alumni..I'm going to inquire with them as to what they all know about the death of Speedy..

Exactly..It was a definite cheap shop, and I have no doubt the Wellborn Coaches may have told the team to take "Speedy" out of the game, does that translate into kill the boy, no way is that what the coaches told the team..We're a proud bunch here in the Wellborn area, we love our Panther Football, I've never seen racism like we're renown for..Some of the absolute nicest & friendliest folks in the world live in Wellborn.. And "Speedy" sounded like a great guy & a really really good football player..It's a tragic event that we all wish had never ever happened..

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ptw1961 View Post
    I have no doubt there are fine people that live in the Wellborn area-but it really was different in the 70"s everywhere in Alabama and west Anniston was a rough area back in that time. Played baseball at JHS and we played Wellborn one afternoon when the school was let out to see the game-there were guys smoking pot sitting on the outfield fence and someone's mother was poking her umbrella through the dugout fence during the game. Really had to watch what you said and did when in that part of town back in the day.
    Excellent post & I agree 100% with everything you stated..My Dad & PaPa used to tell me stories of how truly bad it once was, not just in the Wellborn area, in the Deep South in general..I would just shake my head in disgust of the stories they told me, heck, my PaPa witnessed when rioters stopped the "Freedom Riders" Bus off Highway 202 here in the Wellborn area, where they pulled the "Freedom Riders" off the bus to beat them & then set the bus fire..All that happened about a mile & a half from my house..I pass by the National Historic Marker that they have in place of the incident everyday I come home, it's a constant reminder of our past, and it makes me sooooo proud as to just how far my community has come since that happened..That's part of our history we can never deny, we can just learn from it, and allow it, to teach us how to get along with each other & become better human beings cause of our past..

Here's a link to the "Freedom Riders" Bus when it was stopped & burned here in the Wellborn Community..It's scary to think all this happened in the neighborhood I grew up in & am living in right now..CLICK ME

And here's an actual news clip of the burned bus.....CLICK ME

I apologize Mods this post has curved away from the football aspect of my original post..Feel free to move this to Non Sport if need be..

BamaNation Second Team

Thankfully we have come a long way since those days. Thanks for the post. I enjoy reading your input on this site. You are obviously a very dedicated Tide fan!
    Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    Excellent post & I agree 100% with everything you stated..My Dad & PaPa used to tell me stories of how truly bad it once was, not just in the Wellborn area, in the Deep South in general..I would just shake my head in disgust of the stories they told me, heck, my PaPa witnessed when rioters stopped the "Freedom Riders" Bus off Highway 202 here in the Wellborn area, where they pulled the "Freedom Riders" off the bus to beat them & then set the bus fire..All that happened about a mile & a half from my house..I pass by the National Historic Marker that they have in place of the incident everyday I come home, it's a constant reminder of our past, and it makes me sooooo proud as to just how far my community has come since that happened..That's part of our history we can never deny, we can just learn from it, and allow it, to teach us how to get along with each other & become better human beings cause of our past..

Here's a link to the "Freedom Riders" Bus when it was stopped & burned here in the Wellborn Community..It's scary to think all this happened in the neighborhood I grew up in & am living in right now..CLICK ME

And here's an actual news clip of the burned bus.....CLICK ME

I apologize Mods this post has curved away from the football aspect of my original post..Feel free to move this to Non Sport if need be..

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Sand Mountain is a foothill of the Appalachian Mountain range that begins somewhere in Jackson or DeKalb county and extends into the heart of Marshall County. The cities of Albertville, Boaz, and Guntersville are pretty much Sand Mountain.
    Actually, Sand Mountain is not part of the Appalachians at all, the foothills of which run to the east of Sand Mountain and actually all the way down to Birmingham. Sand Mountain is part of the southern reaches of the Cumberland Plateau. The Appalachians are crinkled fold mountains, caused by the push of the African Plate into America. They are Cambrian-early Permian and are millions of years older than the Cumberland Plateau to the west. Their mates to the east, once joined, are now the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. The Cumberland Plateau "mountains" are flat on top and are of the Ordovician era, sedimentary and not nearly as old as the ancient Appalachians. BTW, Guntersville is not on Sand Mountain at all, but lies down in the valley of the Sequatchie Rift, into which the Tennessee breaks just west of Chattanooga. It runs south until it runs into the Cullman Massif (part of the Appalachian Foothills), and turns WNW towards the NE corner of Alabama. I live on just about the last western gasp of the Cumberland Plateau, Monte Sano, in the eastern edge of Huntsville...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-SEC BradtheImpaler's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by kah13 View Post
    When did Wellborn get moved to Sand Mountain? After reading that inaccuracy, I had to question the other recollections.
    That gets corrected by the author. That error is the recollection of the guy who brought it to his attention, but you're right that it calls into question other assertions by that guy.

I tend to think that it was just a horribly unlucky play. It happens sometimes, especially when a player has been running you ragged and you finally get a chance to put a lick on him. Lord knows I played on some awful football teams in my day, and there were many times when I - or we - would take a little satisfaction in exacting some sort of physical revenge, but we never intended to kill anyone. Thankfully, we never did.
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ptw1961 View Post
    Thankfully we have come a long way since those days. Thanks for the post. I enjoy reading your input on this site. You are obviously a very dedicated Tide fan!
    There's only three things in my life more important than Crimson Tide Football, that's The Lord & my two Baby Girls, everything else is just clutter as Coach Saban would put it..LOL..And I very much appreciates the kind words ptw..

BamaNation Second Team

Impressive geological knowledge, Earl. The foothills of the appalachians actually run just east of Jacksonville and as you said, all the way to Birmingham
    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Actually, Sand Mountain is not part of the Appalachians at all, the foothills of which run to the east of Sand Mountain and actually all the way down to Birmingham. Sand Mountain is part of the southern reaches of the Cumberland Plateau. The Appalachians are crinkled fold mountains, caused by the push of the African Plate into America. They are Cambrian-early Permian and are millions of years older than the Cumberland Plateau to the west. Their mates to the east, once joined, are now the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. The Cumberland Plateau "mountains" are flat on top and are of the Ordovician era, sedimentary and not nearly as old as the ancient Appalachians. BTW, Guntersville is not on Sand Mountain at all, but lies down in the valley of the Sequatchie Rift, into which the Tennessee breaks just west of Chattanooga. It runs south until it runs into the Cullman Massif (part of the Appalachian Foothills), and turns WNW towards the NE corner of Alabama. I live on just about the last western gasp of the Cumberland Plateau, Monte Sano, in the eastern edge of Huntsville...