Final Verdict: Lou Holtz and Mark debate if AJ McCarron is the most valuable player

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Re: Final Verdict:Lou Holtz and Mark debate if AJ. McCarron is the most valuable pla

I would think that most successful people have this ability, to sell something, or hype it up. And not let others know what they're really thinking all the time.
You don't know much about Dizzy, do you ;)

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Re: Final Verdict:Lou Holtz and Mark debate if AJ. McCarron is the most valuable pla

No doubt. Coach Sumlin, who was mentioned as a USC candidate is Gene Chizic in my book until I see them with another QB. And Missouri had never had a consistent winning football team. But it is surprising they are leading the east. I am rooting for SC just for the sake of order.
I agree both aTm and Mizzou will see drop off after their starting QBs leave. However, I wouldn't put Sumlin in the same category with Chizic. Sumlin was 45-17 at Houston and we all know Cheezio was 5-19 at Iowa State.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

If he really liked AJ there his table would have been drenched. LOL

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

No doubt. Coach Sumlin, who was mentioned as a USC candidate is Gene Chizic in my book until I see them with another QB. And Missouri had never had a consistent winning football team. But it is surprising they are leading the east. I am rooting for SC just for the sake of order.
Sumlin is 10 times the HC that Chiclets ever dared to be....
Really? 59-26 since 2007 with a 12-2, 10-4 and 10-3 in 3 out of those four years. Not top tier numbers, but can't say they haven't consistently won, unless by consistently you mean historically over a longer period...but very few teams have.
Missouri didn't "get lucky" against Georgia...they have had their own share of injuries in the past, maybe now it's just that things are coming full circle. Without their starting QB, though, they may go into a tailspin. I didn't get to see the backup play.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Lou and Mark are the "Skip Bayless and Stephen a Smith" of the college football world. They will usually take one side or the other and argue about it. You rarely see them agree, unless it is an obvious choice. It is "good" tv.

I guess Mark showed too much Bama love last year, that they said it was time for Lou to take that side.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Really? 59-26 since 2007 with a 12-2, 10-4 and 10-3 in 3 out of those four years. Not top tier numbers, but can't say they haven't consistently won, unless by consistently you mean historically over a longer period...but very few teams have.
Missouri didn't "get lucky" against Georgia...they have had their own share of injuries in the past, maybe now it's just that things are coming full circle. Without their starting QB, though, they may go into a tailspin. I didn't get to see the backup play.
I do think Sumlin is better than Chizik, but I would also like to see what identity that team takes when Manziel is gone. It seemed that at Houston the offense was much more Air Raid than Sandlot.

As for Missouri, 6 games into the season they played their first real game (although Vandy is pretty physical these days, but seems to have regressed). They fell completely apart last year because they were a soft football team and they couldn't take the grind. As the rest of schedule catches up to them I expect the injuries will pile up again. I would not be surprised to see them beat Florida simply because their offense is so bad, but I see them dropping at least 2 games in the East plus TAMU and losing a few more players. On the flip side they look better than I expected them to be so far this season.

Will be pulling for Carolina hard.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I do think Sumlin is better than Chizik, but I would also like to see what identity that team takes when Manziel is gone.
Agree. He has a more electrifying player than Chizik had with $cam, yet has won nothing. I believe he's a good coach, but he couldn't even win the CUSA while at Houston. I'll jump on the Sumlin train when his teams win something...

As for Missouri, 6 games into the season they played their first real game (although Vandy is pretty physical these days, but seems to have regressed). They fell completely apart last year because they were a soft football team and they couldn't take the grind. As the rest of schedule catches up to them I expect the injuries will pile up again.
Losing James Franklin for the season is probably all the injuries needed to see them fall apart. With a backup QB in the game, I expect UF to rock Mizzou.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

Nor would I - Chizik won an SEC and national championship.
:biggrin2: Do you seriously think Cheezio is a better coach than Sumlin? I think not. *U caught lightening in a bottle with $cam. Johnny Money may be $cam 2.0, but I still think Sumlin has a better body of work than Cheezio. No way Sumlin gets the aTm job with a 5-19 record.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

:biggrin2: Do you seriously think Cheezio is a better coach than Sumlin? I think not. *U caught lightening in a bottle with $cam. Johnny Money may be $cam 2.0, but I still think Sumlin has a better body of work than Cheezio. No way Sumlin gets the aTm job with a 5-19 record.
See the post immediately above yours.

No, I don't think Chizik is better than Sumlin, but until Sumlin wins something - anything - I'm not going to crown him as some great coach. He's the HC of a 'sleeping giant' (or so A&M has been described over and over) with 'unlimited funds' and 'fertile recruiting', he has the only freshman Heisman winner in history and he still hasn't won a thing. Couldn't even win the CUSA while at UH...

So yah, I think he's better than Chizik, but until he has some hardware, it's all talk.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

Without AJ Alabama loses to aTm and is pretty much out of the national championship race.
Alabama lost to Aggie and had to depend on others to get them in the title game. On that day, JF would've run it in late in the game.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

Without AJ, or a player of his caliber at QB, does Alabama win either of your last two championships? IMO, you would not have defeated LSU in the BCSCG, nor would you have come from behind to defeat LSU last year. Les Miles might be considered the best head coach in college football right now if not for AJ. Think about it.
At the same time, he only scored three points vs LSU in round one. He was forced to play the first game with one arm tied behind his back, though.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama

No way. Sumlin has won everywhere he has been with multiple QB's

Really? 59-26 since 2007 with a 12-2, 10-4 and 10-3 in 3 out of those four years. Not top tier numbers, but can't say they haven't consistently won, unless by consistently you mean historically over a longer period...but very few teams have
I agree

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

The magic of AJ is that he sets his ego aside for the betterment of the team. Most QBs in his situation would be thinking about putting up numbers, getting drafted number one, and winning a Heisman. I'm sure AJ has personal goals, but he has always made them second to the team. Not just any coach can handle the Alabama job, and not just any QB can handle the Alabama job. I think both are perfect for the situation.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD

Lou reminds me of Coach Bryant talking about Pat Trammell: "He can't run, he can't throw, and he can't kick. All he knows how to do is win."

steej71

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 17, 2011

If Lou had framed his argument as McCarron being the most under-valued player in CFB, he would have won the decision. If AJ doesn't get picked in the first round, someone is getting a bargain.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the talking head NFL draft picker toward the end of the game. He spoke for 3 minutes about how AJ isn't a very strong passer. While he was talking, AJ completed 3 spectacular passes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJxSs9EbvsI

Last edited:

harleyspoon

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012

Honest question: If Alabama and A&M swapped QB's at the begining of last season:

1. Would Alabama have won the MNC last year?
2. Would Alabama have lost to A&M at home last year?
3. Would Alabama have won at Kyle Field this year?
4. Would A&M be ranked in the top ten at any point in either year?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Honest question: If Alabama and A&M swapped QB's at the begining of last season:

The answers are unknowable. One thing I can be sure of is that Saban would have handled him much different than Sumlin. I am not sure under Saban he would have seen the field holding the ball the way he does when he takes off running, throwing the ball into the spots he does and improvising away from a Saban type game plan. He may have worked into Saban's system and been just as successful in a different way, but that is unknowable as well.

As for who is most important to their team, I think it's a slight edge to JM. As to who has been a more successful overall quarterback, I don't think it is a contest.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006

Fun question. I will just state that I prefer our "share the responsibility" plan over putting 80% of the game on one kids shoulder's. It's like with investing, I would rather invest $10 on 10 chicken houses, than $100 on one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.