ASU - Keepin' it down home, cuz

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wiggins and Dean just released a statement saying the Governor is trying to take over the university. Because that makes so much sense.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
The fact that about $70 M changed hands on the construction of their new football stadium (over 200M in total campus construction) and construction is one of the areas the FSS group has not been allowed to touch-----adds up to a lot of smoke ---- the contacts involved with those projects over the last five years ought to be very interesting.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Isn't this the Alabama Teacher Factory that produces hundreds of English teachers yearly who can't speak English? Is anyone surprised?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
ASU has been and always will be full of corruption, scandals and lies. I know a number of people who work for, or have worked for, contractors that have done jobs for ASU over the years. They have told me many stories about how ASU doesn't pay there bills and there are some companies in town that refuse to do work for ASU because they never get paid.

I'll set the over/under for when ASU plays the race card at 2.5 days.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
ASU has been and always will be full of corruption, scandals and lies. I know a number of people who work for, or have worked for, contractors that have done jobs for ASU over the years. They have told me many stories about how ASU doesn't pay there bills and there are some companies in town that refuse to do work for ASU because they never get paid.

I'll set the over/under for when ASU plays the race card at 2.5 days.
I'm bettin' the under--------

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And we get a lawsuit against the governor... Link

The lawsuit spends considerable time discussing the racial history of Alabama, noting that “white Republicans” have become the dominant party in the state and accusing the Republicans of using the upheaval of Joseph Silver’s resignation at ASU as an opportunity to “take control of ASU.”

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I lost---------

http://www.alreporter.com/archives/...-destruction-of-alabama-state-university.html

The destruction happened a long time ago. This is just an attempt to put it out of its misery.
Assuming the following is true, is there any legitimate reason for the disparate impact?

Alabama has 15 colleges and universities but only the two historically Black state universities have Constitutional provisions that permit a governor to remove university trustees for alleged conflicts of interest.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
First, after quick review, it looks to be true---except the part about "alleged".
Second, in short, no.
Third, longer answer --- "disparate impact" is generally used in terms of employment law. Trustees are not employees. And "legitimate" carries the connotation of lawful. The law is on the books, therefore it is legitimate. It was, however written in a much different time. There is reason to question the legitimacy.

In fairness, I find it to be something that should probably have been done away with years ago. Only not now---not when, to the best of my research knowledge, it has never been challenged in the legislature and not questioned until such time as it is convenient to cry "unfair" in order to extricate ones self from an embarrassing situation of ones own creation.

And on a hopefully humorous note, it was probably written to prevent these guys from doing what every other board of trustees in the state was doing at the time :(

I am waiting for the review of the construction contracts before I get too stoked. There's gonna be some good stuff in there.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
People not from the Montgomery area have no idea just how corrupt the ASU board is. A fair comparison would be the board members of the Detroit public school system. ObamaCare looks like a shining light next to incompetence at ASU.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Depends. Are you black and accused of an integrity issue? In that case it's definitely a racial issue.

And this is why more and more people are becoming "immune" to the race card being used. It's like the boy who cried wolf. At some point people just grow tired of it and when there's actually an incident it falls on deaf ears.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
. Mr. Holmes needs to grow up and let go of the past...not that this has to anything to do with the past, other than constant abuse at ASU of taxpayers' dollars.
Did you read the article? Holmes said ASU asked him to attack Bentley for being a racist, but he said no because he doesn't feel like this is a race issue. He even says there's some stuff that needs to be investigated.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.