So you see another team rising up to Dynasty level?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Unless he can keep a steady supply of Johnny Football's, I just don't see it. Nothing about their offensive scheme impresses me if you take out Manziel's ability to make chicken salad out of chicken crap. I think they can be a contender and be really good, but nothing makes me believe they'll ever be elite for an extended period of time.
That's why I picked Texas A&M, because being in Texas, he will always be able to recruit Blue Chip QB studs within Texas to run his offense, and make no mistake about it, when "Johnny Football" leaves, Coach Sumlin will have a quality QB to take his spot, and the longer he's there, he'll recruit play makers to help run his offnse at all spots on offense..Coach Sumlin just needs to hire a really good DC & allow him to run the D..Will he produce a "Dynasty" at Texas A& M, I dunno, but everything he needs to do it is at his disposal..

He needs to get 'er done now while Texas is down, once they replace Mack Brown at Texas, with a competent HC that can field a quality football program..It will be harder than it is now to control things in Texas..

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
BINGO! We have a winner! Felt as though I was writing this as I was reading it.....

In 2007, when Coach Saban took over, I would probably have considered anyone to be crazy if they claimed that, in this era of limited scholarships, any team could win 3 BCSNC in a 4 year period and be favored to win a 3rd consecutive.

Saban and Alabama combined to create the perfect storm:

A football coach that:

• has a reputation of producing winning teams everywhere he's been at the collegiate level
  • has a respected college and NFL pedigree
  • is recognized as a great developer of NFL-level defensive talent
  • has a lineage of his own assistant coaches that are now head coaches at top programs
  • has an unmatched work-ethic

combined with a traditional football power that:

• had fallen on hard times because of externally-imposed actions
  • is located in a fertile recruiting area
  • is located in a state that inordinately loves its football
  • has millions of fans worldwide
  • has a huge number of fans that are willing to give money to improve the program
  • has traditionally been founded on the tenets of strong defense and ball-control offense
  • was willing to provide the facilities, salaries, and resources needed to implement the vision of the AD and the coach

I think that in the end, it's Coach Saban's ability to recruit and develop top talent both in his players and his coaches that sustains his success. He makes the most of his time with those he works with and its a win-win for them all. His players are assured of being part of a championship team, many of them are able to achieve their dreams of playing in the NFL, and the experience in his program (with the personal development that he puts at a high priority) serves to give them a platform for increased success in life. His assistant and position coaches are also assured of championship experiences as part of his staff, many of them are also able to move on to better opportunities, and the experience in his program gives them a blueprint for how to improve their own performance as coaches or in any other business endeavors.

I tend to think that it will be a long time, if ever, that a coach like Nick Saban matches up with a program and the synergy has the ability to facilitate such a domination of college football like we are seeing at the moment.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
That's why I picked Texas A&M, because being in Texas, he will always be able to recruit Blue Chip QB studs within Texas to run his offense, and make no mistake about it, when "Johnny Football" leaves, Coach Sumlin will have a quality QB to take his spot, and the longer he's there, he'll recruit play makers to help run his offnse at all spots on offense..Coach Sumlin just needs to hire a really good DC & allow him to run the D..Will he produce a "Dynasty" at Texas A& M, I dunno, but everything he needs to do it is at his disposal..

He needs to get 'er done now while Texas is down, once they replace Mack Brown at Texas, with a competent HC that can field a quality football program..It will be harder than it is now to control things in Texas..
He has to compete with other teams like us too. We try to steal as much talent from Texas as we can every year. (see Bralon Addison).

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
He has to compete with other teams like us too. We try to steal as much talent from Texas as we can every year. (see Bralon Addison).
You make a valid point..Texas produces a lot of talent, Texas & Texas A&M, will always have 1st picking of the best of the best that the state produces just cause most recruits wanna stay close to home if possible..Schools like Bama & Oregon will always cherry pick some of that talent, cause there's only so many kids both schools can take, and Bama & Oregon both have the swag & history of producing NFL talent for those that attend either schools....

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
You make a valid point..Texas produces a lot of talent, Texas & Texas A&M, will always have 1st picking of the best of the best that the state produces just cause most recruits wanna stay close to home if possible..Schools like Bama & Oregon will always cherry pick some of that talent, cause there's only so many kids both schools can take, and Bama & Oregon both have the swag & history of producing NFL talent for those that attend either schools....
True. We almost snagged Manziel. It was close.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I don't know how legit Muschamp is but I think his teams have been remarkably close to Alabama for his first two years. This year they fell off compared to Saban's third year. But if he can maintain this level of defense, which I think he can, and ever get a QB and some WR's in there I think Florida could be a dangerous team. I mean they almost won their division last year with almost no threat of a passing game. It took massive work from Driskel last year to allow UGA to beat UF.

However, I'm not totally sold that Muschamp is the man that is going to be able to maintain success on a dynasty level, but I was surprised by how well his second season went.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
True. We almost snagged Manziel. It was close.
I din't know that..That's a scary thought of "Johnny Football" running your offense, don't get me wrong, Mariota(Did I spell that right..LOL) is really good as well, but, "Johnny Football" is on another level..I think he is anyways..I don't wanna even think about the kinda numbers he would put up in Oregon's offense, The Aggies have a powerful offense, it too is on another level, as compared to other HUNH offenses..JMO

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I get what you are saying, and I agree that he can make a TAMU a very good team. He may even be able to win a championship, but Manziel is wayyy more than a quality QB, IMO. I just think without Manziel, their offense would be good, but not in the top 3 in the country. Manziel does some things that I've never seen any QB do, and he does things that are pretty much impossible to defend. As good as QB's like Tebow, sCam, or Vince Young were, if you stop them from running, you could beat them. Manziel is so allusive that if you dedicate enough guys to stop him running, he will destroy you throwing the ball in a way that none of the others could. I've never seen a guy be able to extend plays as long as he can and throw the ball as well as does running, off balance, and under pressure. He is truly special, IMO.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I get what you are saying, and I agree that he can make a TAMU a very good team. He may even be able to win a championship, but Manziel is wayyy more than a quality QB, IMO. I just think without Manziel, their offense would be good, but not in the top 3 in the country. Manziel does some things that I've never seen any QB do, and he does things that are pretty much impossible to defend. As good as QB's like Tebow, sCam, or Vince Young were, if you stop them from running, you could beat them. Manziel is so allusive that if you dedicate enough guys to stop him running, he will destroy you throwing the ball in a way that none of the others could. I've never seen a guy be able to extend plays as long as he can and throw the ball as well as does running, off balance, and under pressure. He is truly special, IMO.
I agree 100% with ya..I actually think The Aggies will be better offensively after Manziel leaves A&M, cause I think Sumlin's next QB will be a better passer than Manziel, and with a better passer, Sumlin's offense will be even better than it is now..Thy have a Pro Style QB committed right now Kyle Allen, and he's a gun slinger, one of the top Pro Style QB's in this years class..As good as The Aggies are now..

I honestly think they will be even better with him slinging the 'Tater around in their offense..Not relying on one Player like they are now, will open up that offense, and it will give all the WR playmakers a better chance to show what they can do & they have some playmakers on offense like we do at the WR position..They're just scratching the surface on offense with "Johnny Football" running the offense..That's JMO..

Last edited:

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
I din't know that..That's a scary thought of "Johnny Football" running your offense, don't get me wrong, Mariota(Did I spell that right..LOL) is really good as well, but, "Johnny Football" is on another level..I think he is anyways..I don't wanna even think about the kinda numbers he would put up in Oregon's offense, The Aggies have a powerful offense, it too is on another level, as compared to other HUNH offenses..JMO
He was committed to Oregon first but chose to go to aTm. Him running the offense would be insane. But we're happy with Mariota. He doesn't come with all the baggage of off the field antics, is quiet, lets his play do the talking. And hopefully we'll have him for one more year, whereas Manziel will likely be off to the NFL next year because he's so good and always in the headlines. We like that Mariota stays out of the headlines and flies under the radar for the most part.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
I agree 100% with ya..I actually think The Aggies will be better offensively after Manziel leaves A&M, cause I think Sumlin's next QB will be a better passer than Manziel, and with a better passer, Sumlin's offense will be even better than it is now..Thy have a Pro Style QB committed right now Kyle Allen, and he's a gun slinger, one of the top Pro Style QB's in this years class..As good as The Aggies are now..

I honestly think they will be even better with him slinging the 'Tater around in their offense..Not relying on one Player like they are now, will open up that offense, and it will give all the WR playmakers a better chance to show what they can do & they have some playmakers on offense like we do at the WR position..They're just scratching the surface on offense with "Johnny Football" running the offense..That's JMO..
I'll preface by saying that I don't like Manziel, no how, no way. There's no denying though, that he's a remarkable quarterback. He's currently leading the SEC in passing yardage and is second to Mettenberger in pass efficiency. He's also 11th in the SEC in rushing yardage. Hard to imagine Sumlin snagging a much better passer. Even if he is a better passer, he will almost certainly bring less to the table than JM does. If he's a straight drop back passer defenses won't have to devote nearly as much attention to him as they do to JM. Part of what makes JM so effective is his ability to turn a 6 second play into a 16 second play. Defensive lineman can't catch him and if they do they usually can't tackle him. It's also asking a lot from a defensive back to keep coverage for that long.

Sumlin's offense may keep chugging merrily along after Manziel is gone, but I doubt they'll give anybody fits the way they do now.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
He was committed to Oregon first but chose to go to aTm. Him running the offense would be insane. But we're happy with Mariota. He doesn't come with all the baggage of off the field antics, is quiet, lets his play do the talking. And hopefully we'll have him for one more year, whereas Manziel will likely be off to the NFL next year because he's so good and always in the headlines. We like that Mariota stays out of the headlines and flies under the radar for the most part.
I agree 100% with ya..While "Johnn Football" may be a suppoed "once in a generation" type player, his baggage off the field, is a big downside to him & I hate the gestures he makes after making a big play, it makes him look downright thuggish..I would take Mariota all day long over Manziel, Mariota is on & off the football field a really really good player & he represents himself a lot lot better..I'd rather have Mariota representing my school as well..

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Manziel is a great weapon in an offense that has a limited number of true playmakers. The only problem is that his holding onto the ball, scrambling around and waiting for something to open up and then taking off on these wild runs is eventually going to result in him getting knocked out. He seems to have some magic quality that keeps him from taking solid hits and being rolled up in a gang tackle, but it's just luck. His body takes up a given amount of space on the football field just like anyone else and one day he's going to zig when he should have zagged and a linebacker is going to paste him. Unless Sumlin's got Matt Football or Kenny Football or some other variant that can take over and give his receivers the same amount of time to get separation from coverage, their offense is going to fizzle. Mike Evans is a mismatch for most defenses, but I don't see anyone else on that offense that strikes fear into defenses.

When the Johnny Football experience ends, Sumlin needs to have a good group of skill players and a QB that can distribute the ball to them effectively without risking the entire system by exposing himself to all the flak. Their offense right now is so QB-centric that they would be in dire straits if Manziel went down. I can't picture their defense holding up because they are bad enough now and if they couldn't sustain drives to give the D some rest, that defense would certainly be suffering.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I really don't see who could other than Bama.

Sent from my iPhone
I agree & will say that even a lot of our fans understand just how rare & special this program is.

I believe that all the things Coach Moore did while AD will cement Alabama to the top for a long time even if Coach Saban chose to go to the lake.

I agree & will say that even a lot of our fans understand just how rare & special this program is.

I believe that all the things Coach Moore did while AD will cement Alabama to the top for a long time even if Coach Saban chose to go to the lake.
Something tells me if he does he'll still have a lot of say so at Bama.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
At the present time, no other team in the nation comes close to what the Tide has accomplished. Hence all these other teams' dreams of becoming a dynasty are just that - dreams.

Otoh, once college football has moved past the BCS and into "committee", you never can tell. Everyone on the "committee" will have ties to the NZAA and wins/losses will be determined by who are the largest donors. What is accomplished on the field, assuming that games continue to be played, will not even be considered. In the end, the world of college football as we know it will cease to exist.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I thought it was interesting to listen to Herbie speak of how Bama matched up with teams with their multiple pro sets and defense. It's one thing to have great talent, but matching up with personnel and attack schemes is entirely something else. I would think that has a lot to do with longevity in winning championships. Many teams are out there trying to out scheme you with hurry up, spread em, out score you, techniques. Don't really see the sustained success in that. The other obstacle is this 4 game playoff thing. Gotta believe even more attrition. You can forget teams who have won a championship because they had that one great, special moment in time. Cause here comes round two. Stands to reason that the winner will have to play to their ultimate potential and sustain it against multiple schemes and tremendous talent and different environments completely. That won't make winning multiple titles any easier.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.