So you see another team rising up to Dynasty level?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Wow, how things have changed for the Ducks in a couple of years!
Loss of Chip Kelly has brought them down some. Still waiting to see if Chip can succeed in the NFL or if he will be grouped with Saban and Spurrier as coaches that "couldn't cut it in the NFL".

steej71

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 17, 2011
There was a whole lot of talk about Texas and Texas A&M in this thread. I don't remember a single mention of Ohio State.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't remember a single mention of Ohio State.
First, we are far from having achieved dynasty status in Columbus. But I did discuss in my post the requirements for another program to reach that status, and both Alabama and Ohio State have all of those things in place right now.

BTW, Meyer is 47-3 in his first 50 games at OSU. Not too shabby, but with only one championship, not a dynasty.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
First, we are far from having achieved dynasty status in Columbus. But I did discuss in my post the requirements for another program to reach that status, and both Alabama and Ohio State have all of those things in place right now.

BTW, Meyer is 47-3 in his first 50 games at OSU. Not too shabby, but with only one championship, not a dynasty.
Ohio State will need Michigan to come back to normal for OSU to ever be in Dynasty territory. The Big 10 is so weak that it's hard to be in "Dynasty" territory without having a challenge.....right now, they are going 11-1 or 12-0 with little competition

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I was thinking as I went back and read... the only other team really that can achieve this would be Ohio State. Everything is in place. As a rising tide raises all ships, I believe Urban winning the NC last year will eventually do that for the B1G. Michigan will come back to prominence eventually and probably sooner than Ohio State fans might like -- much like Auburn did for 2010.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ohio State will need Michigan to come back to normal for OSU to ever be in Dynasty territory. The Big 10 is so weak that it's hard to be in "Dynasty" territory without having a challenge.....right now, they are going 11-1 or 12-0 with little competition
We beat Alabama in the playoff last year, and then beat Oregon. If we do that a few more times, no one will care. We will be a dynasty.

Right now, the B1G has 4 quality teams that could compete in the SEC (this season).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We beat Alabama in the playoff last year, and then beat Oregon. If we do that a few more times, no one will care. We will be a dynasty.

Right now, the B1G has 4 quality teams that could compete in the SEC (this season).
I don't know, B1G, I think you may give your Big 10 brethren a little too much credit.

OSU: Yes
Iowa: OK, but I'd have to see it to believe it.
Michigan State: Maybe
Michigan: At least a year or two away

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I agree completely. Wins at the end of the year gets you dynasty status. Wins earlier just gets you the opportunity.

I think that depends on your definition of compete. If you mean have 2 or 3 losses I would agree. If you mean have a realistic chance to win a division without any flukes, IMO all but one of them would have to be in the east to have a chance to go to Atlanta.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that depends on your definition of compete. If you mean have 2 or 3 losses I would agree. If you mean have a realistic chance to win a division without any flukes, IMO all but one of them would have to be in the east to have a chance to go to Atlanta.
Yeah, that's all that I meant.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen......I would love to get tOSU in the Semis......especially with 3 weeks to get ready.....the team has a different mission this year.....not saying the team didn't want win last year......but they weren't as focused as this bunch.....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know it's been said 10,000 times, but nobody outside of the SEC...not even the top teams in the other conferences, would be prepared for the murderer's row that all the teams in the SEC have to face each year.

It's not just occasionally having to play Bama, LSU, Georgia or Florida that all the east and west teams have to navigate each year, but it's having to beat Georgia and A&M on the road only to turn around and play UTe on a half a tank and win with your B- game.

It's LSU having to beat UF in the east and then get beat by Bama to then have to turn around and play Arkansas, who is playing 2009 Bama football all of a sudden.

It's the cumulative effect of not having the luxury of only having to peak a time or two each year. To get thru the SEC with just one loss you'll have to peak 3-4 times a year and then be good enough to win with some B and even C grade performances.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know it's been said 10,000 times, but nobody outside of the SEC...not even the top teams in the other conferences, would be prepared for the murderer's row that all the teams in the SEC have to face each year.
My opinion - now that we have a playoff, it hurts you. If the field expands to 8 teams, it will help you again because 2 teams might get in. But as things stand now, only one team from the SEC will get in each year, and if the winner of the SEC has 2 losses none would get in. The winner of the other conferences are far less likely to have 2 losses.

The goal is to win championships. To do that, you first have to get to the playoff. The other conferences now have an edge over the SEC because they are not as tough, top to bottom. IMO, it is far better to be the best team in a weak P5 conference than the best team in the SEC.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
B1G, you are definitely right about having the 2 losses I think...it's why OM wouldn't have made it in IMO even if they won the SEC without some other P5 conferences having a 2 loss champion.

My other comments were regarding the four teams you said you thought could complete in the SEC this year. IMO, OSU is the only one who would have a fighting chance if, by definition, a fighting chance means only having 1 loss, maybe even 2.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
LSU could well end up in the Top 4 if:

ND loses to Stanford
Stanford loses to Utah
TCU beats Baylor
OU beats OSU
tOSU beats Iowa

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.