SI Article - 2013 midseason Crystal Ball

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...dseason-crystal-ball/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp

I'm sure you've all seen this.

The thing I really wanted to point out is Anderson's quote "No quarterback in the country -- strike that, no quarterback in recent memory -- is as clutch as McCarron on a big stage."

I TOTALLY agree with that statement.

Not just AJ. Greg shredded Florida a few years ago. 'Bama QBs have a tendency to explode when the pressure is on.

Not saying we'll get to the title game (tbh, the way we've been playing, we have our work cut out for us. But that's been discussed exhaustively in other threads). But, if we do, we will take it home.

Edit: I should've made the title more descriptive

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Thamel
The SEC's reputation will continue to take a hit. There doesn't appear to be any team in the SEC East that can stop Alabama if the Tide reach Atlanta. But if 'Bama loses to LSU, the SEC's run of national championships will likely be over. Regardless, this season has shown that the depth of the SEC simply isn't what it used to be.
He says the same week the SEC sets a new record with 8 teams ranked in the top 25...

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
I think he means that this year's SEC only has one team that could win it all.

Last year, A&M, UGA, LSU, and Bama could've all won. We really have only one team in the conference this year that can beat Oregon and Clemson. Maybe two. Probably just one.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I think he means that this year's SEC only has one team that could win it all.

Last year, A&M, UGA, LSU, and Bama could've all won. We really have only one team in the conference this year that can beat Oregon and Clemson. Maybe two. Probably just one.
Personally I think we have 3 teams in the SEC west that CAN beat Oregon and Clemson: Bama, LSU, and TAMU (on a really good day ... but they would have a better chance against Clemson IMO).

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
He says the same week the SEC sets a new record with 8 teams ranked in the top 25...
I, too, found that odd.

Another nit I have to pick is what "Coach of the Year" has come to mean. Nowadays it seems to mean the "Coach Who Achieved More than We Thought He Would" award. I'd find it pretty funny if Alabama wins the national championship again this year yet Malzahn wins CoY after eking out an 8-9 win season.

It's conceivable that Saban will one day be regarded as the best college coach in history, yet how many Coach of the Year awards will he have been awarded during his tenure?

We all know that winning games is a lot more than coaching well in autumn. It all starts four years earlier (or more) when the coaching staff started recruiting the current players. And, it continues with player development, maintaining team discipline, etc. Somehow all that work gets overlooked when CoY awards are handed out. In the eyes of many voters: if you win with a talented roster in a rock-solid program, well, then you were just doing what was expected of you.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I, too, found that odd.

Another nit I have to pick is what "Coach of the Year" has come to mean. Nowadays it seems to mean the "Coach Who Achieved More than We Thought He Would" award. I'd find it pretty funny if Alabama wins the national championship again this year yet Malzahn wins CoY after eking out an 8-9 win season.

It's conceivable that Saban will one day be regarded as the best college coach in history, yet how many Coach of the Year awards will he have been awarded during his tenure?

We all know that winning games is a lot more than coaching well in autumn. It all starts four years earlier (or more) when the coaching staff started recruiting the current players. And, it continues with player development, maintaining team discipline, etc. Somehow all that work gets overlooked when CoY awards are handed out. In the eyes of many voters: if you win with a talented roster in a rock-solid program, well, then you were just doing what was expected of you.
Only the year when he was the "Coach Who Achieved More than We Thought He Would" :biggrin2:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
The SEC isn't what it used to be??? I have to disagree in that. These people are doing everything they can to pump up the PAC 12 and it's sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
saw travis haney on ESPN doing the predictions on who would win the big conferences. his SEC choice? texas a&m

gotta love it :)

(of course for aTm to win the sec that would mean they ran the table and we lose at least 2 western division games)

these guys on the 4-letter network just like to hear themselves talk and put zero thought into what they actually say

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
saw travis haney on ESPN doing the predictions on who would win the big conferences. his SEC choice? texas a&m

gotta love it :)

(of course for aTm to win the sec that would mean they ran the table and we lose at least 2 western division games)

these guys on the 4-letter network just like to hear themselves talk and put zero thought into what they actually say
He has Orange blood in his veins - I suspect he is predicting we lose to the Who's and the Viles.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
6 games in -- is one thing.....

Something tells me that by games 9-10 ---

It may look like Bama, A&M, USCe will all be in the Top 5-6 -- so then what?

We've seen this show before -- Oregon will lose, Clemson and FSU will lose......and as usual, it will all work itself out.....

They said last year that the SEC was down.....until UGA ended up #3 -- I ain't worried...

RTR

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The SEC isn't what it used to be??? I have to disagree in that. These people are doing everything they can to pump up the PAC 12 and it's sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I disagree also. FLA and GA losing to ACC schools to start the season gave all the haters more fodder against the SEC. They are so hopeful. We will see late in the year when USCe plays Clemson and FLA plays FSU. Even if those two lose I still don't see us getting beat by anyone from another conference.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
I do believe I'm getting fatigued with all this national SEC fatigue.
People all across the country have SEC fatigue after 7 straight national championships. I have PAC-12 fatigue because every national sports talking head is running their yap about Oh-Ree-Gun (even when they're calling games that don't involve a PAC-12 team) and they haven't won squat. Ever.

People all across the country have SEC fatigue after 7 straight national championships. I have PAC-12 fatigue because every national sports talking head is running their yap about Oh-Ree-Gun (even when they're calling games that don't involve a PAC-12 team) and they haven't won squat. Ever.
That's actually a good point.

Sent from my iPhone

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
People all across the country have SEC fatigue after 7 straight national championships. I have PAC-12 fatigue...
Every SEC fan should understand the way that the rest of the country feels, because you feel it too - just for different things. When Boise State was all the rage, we all got BSU fatigue. You don't have to win championships to get too much press. And even if you win championships, you can get too much press. The media causes this, not the success or failure of the respective teams/conferences.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I hope we go right on getting "too much" press (well, at least for the right reasons). Frankly, I'm getting fatigued from hearing about "SEC fatigue" or "Alabama fatigue". If everyone is so sick of us, I hope we are on top and on TV for so long that as soon as the ESPN play-by-play guy says "Ala..." the color guy barfs right there in the booth before he can say "....bama".

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
There's a great rant on Grantland, where the author insists he's paying us the highest compliment by hating us so much. It was sent to me by my best friend, a rabid Buckeye, and it captures the Anyone But Bama mindset really well.

It's not for the thin-skinned, though, and I won't link it because of its creative use of certain four-letter words. Enjoy it for what it is -- the comical spewings of an envious world.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.