***David Cornwell injury update

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Got another update from what I posted in another thread....

He DID have surgery. Don't know on what, but will miss the remainder of his season, but will be ready for spring practice at Bama.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
As RTO stated above, Cornwell has gone public with the fact that did have surgery, but has not been willing to discuss the extent of his injury.

From al.com:

Cornwell told AL.com he still expects to enroll at Alabama for the spring semester and should be recovered from surgery in time to compete for Alabama's starting quarterback job in the spring.

"I will be ready and practicing in spring ball as well," Cornwell said.
Doesn't look like we will get any independent confirmation on the exact nature of the injury just yet, but I see no reason to believe it's anything other than a torn ACL. FWIW, that's what I've heard from everyone I've talked to on the subject.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm glad he's getting the surgery now & will be ready for Spring ball when he comes to Bama..At least it wasn't an injury to his throwing arm from what I've gathered from what I've read about his injury....

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Even with advances in surgery and rehab, is it realistic to have an ACL repaired in mid-October, and fully participate in spring drills in March?

I love the attitude, and hope he accomplishes the goal. I just think we should curb our expectations, all the while pulling for a record-setting rehab.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Even with advances in surgery and rehab, is it realistic to have an ACL repaired in mid-October, and fully participate in spring drills in March?

I love the attitude, and hope he accomplishes the goal. I just think we should curb our expectations, all the while pulling for a record-setting rehab.
Fully? No, certainly not if he indeed tore his ACL, but at around five months post-op he could certainly participate in some activities, with an eye towards full clearance in mid-to-late summer. I think the target here will be to turn him loose sometime next July.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Depending on when spring practice falls and when he actually had the surgery (perhaps a week ago) it could almost be 6 months.

He'll be wearing a black jersey anyway so I'd expect he could participate at a pretty high level (with no contact).

Edit: Not disputing what BET said, but that he should be able to be active in spring practice to some extent.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Depending on when spring practice falls and when he actually had the surgery (perhaps a week ago) it could almost be 6 months.

He'll be wearing a black jersey anyway so I'd expect he could participate at a pretty high level (with no contact).

Edit: Not disputing what BET said, but that he should be able to be active in spring practice to some extent.
Excellent point.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
There is no evidence that it is a torn knee ligament. It could be just a torn meniscus or cartilage which has a much shorter recovery time. All this speculation is above my pay grade so I'll just be content in letting those that be handle it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In this video he posted today, he said he did have ACL surgery. Also, he tweeted he had a good visit with Nuss today.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
As above, Nussmeier made the trip to visit Cornwell early in the week. After the Nussmeier-to-Washington rumors came up, Cornwell came out publicly and said he was coming to 'Bama even if Nussmeier left. No real concerns on this one.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
As above, Nussmeier made the trip to visit Cornwell early in the week. After the Nussmeier-to-Washington rumors came up, Cornwell came out publicly and said he was coming to 'Bama even if Nussmeier left. No real concerns on this one.
Especially since Petersen took the UW job. Most of these guys are coming to play for Alabama and Coach Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.