One thing we are missing is a rush DE ...

Wolfman

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 4, 2013
...a monster pass rushing DE. Is there anyone you see stepping up by the end of the season or down the road (aka next year)?

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
Re: One thing we are missing is...

Affect the qb, affect the qb, affect the qb...Just channeling CNS like a good fan should.:smile:

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

The DE are not trying to rush but contain most of the time in a 3-4 it is the Jack/ LB that puts his hand down that rushes most of the time. The DE like Stinson and Pagan could really get after the QB in a dif scheme or when told to pin their ears back and go but that is not what Bama tries to do most of the time. We put pressure on the QB by closing the pocket on him with the D line guys and affect the QB while the extra blitzer goes for QB.

Last edited:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
At times Alabama will have a DE/OLB that is a good pass rusher but the defense isn't designed that way.

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013

Robinson fits the bill.
I agree with this. It seems like he's in the back field every play. But being a big man he's not always quick enough for the sack. I'm really hoping Jonathan Allen will be our "Clowney" type player in the future.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
If you want DE's to do their thing on the outside, best to run the 4-3. Responsibilities and size are asking our DE in the 3-4 to look and play a lot like tackles. Now if anyone wants to talk about our hybrid outside LB's coming from the outside, Hightower and Upshaw seemed to have been a little more explosive than this group. But, in this day of loosey goosey, spread running QBs, I'm not sure how hard or often Saban really wants to bring the heat. The way our defense is producing and shutting down offenses, I really like our schemes.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think the Jack LB is the "rush" end
Yes. Two true freshmen, Johnathan Allen and Tim Williams, will truly be a good rushing "DE" edge rusher. Adrian, Denzell and Xavier give us a pretty good edge pash rush now, but like some have said you have to be very disciplined in our defensive scheme so you can't always just go for it when you rush.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The thing is with players like clowney, yea they get more sacks but give up a lot of running plays to their side because they are out of position a lot because of going for the sack. It would be nice to have a pass rusher, but we probably won't have one in our base defense because of the running assignments the DEs have to play. We should be able to bring in somebody on obvious passing downs to get more of a rush though.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
Yes. Two true freshmen, Johnathan Allen and Tim Williams, will truly be a good rushing "DE" edge rusher. Adrian, Denzell and Xavier give us a pretty good edge pash rush now, but like some have said you have to be very disciplined in our defensive scheme so you can't always just go for it when you rush.
I haven't seen Tim Williams play...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.