Link: It's getting ugly at Grambling....

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
There's obviously two-sides to the finances/player-treatment angle and not knowing the details, it's hard to say who's in the wrong or right.

The part that jumps out at me: The players are also using the boycott to dictate the hiring/firing of the coaching staff. Apparently one of their demands was that the interim coach (Ragsdale) be removed... and he was. There's no way the Athletic Department can concede that decision to the players.

Taken a step further - could you imagine if a position group got together after a coach was fired and said they were all transferring if a coach with a certain offensive philosophy wasn't hired? Or handing the AD a list of coaches they'd approve? It's a dangerous precedent.

"We felt there is a lack of leadership with the administration. We had a personal issue with (Ragsdale) and demanded for him to go. We want (Pogue) to go."
Man oh man! Grambling is replacing the traditional football dictatorship with a democracy and now the inmates are running the asylum.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The part that jumps out at me: The players are also using the boycott to dictate the hiring/firing of the coaching staff..
This jumps out to you more than unsafe training rooms, safety equipment purchased but denied to the players, 750+ mile bus rides, and players not being fed on road trips? :conf3:

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
This jumps out to you more than unsafe training rooms, safety equipment purchased but denied to the players, 750+ mile bus rides, and players not being fed on road trips? :conf3:
Yes. Only because I think "unsafe training rooms" is a subjective statement. Maybe there's toxic mold and the weights fall off the racks onto the players. Maybe there's one mat in the corner that's a trip hazard.

There's probably more to "safety equipment purchased but denied...". I don't know the full story there. Also if they truly don't have the money, and I'd assume all the players saw the facilities before they opted to sign their name to a document, it's kind of unfair to all of the sudden hold the program hostage financially at the 12th hour. Did the training room somehow go from safe to dangerous over the last 6 months?

About the bus: Once again I don't know Grambling's financial situation... so I don't feel I can make an absolute statement about whether chartering busses is wrong or right in this situation.

I'm not saying either side is right or wrong in those regards. I just think the dictating of the Football Department personnel via boycott is a little more black and white.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The new information truly makes the university look bad. If they can't afford bare-minimum facilities and equipment upkeep and cleanliness then they need to rethink their program. I wouldn't say shuddering it immediately. They should look to join a regional conference and eliminate the expense of these long travel dates.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The new information truly makes the university look bad. If they can't afford bare-minimum facilities and equipment upkeep and cleanliness then they need to rethink their program. I wouldn't say shuddering it immediately. They should look to join a regional conference and eliminate the expense of these long travel dates.
They are in a regional conference, its just that they (like other HBCUs) play a lot of "Classic" games at some far off location. The game in Indy was against fellow SWAC member Alcorn State, who flew to the game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They are in a regional conference, its just that they (like other HBCUs) play a lot of "Classic" games at some far off location. The game in Indy was against fellow SWAC member Alcorn State, who flew to the game.
Yep - one other thing that came out - The AD and school president both fly to games. Imagine that the school is so broke that you can't pay for these things, but the AD and president fly to games? Heck, they could just stay home and use that money for some of these things.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Yep - one other thing that came out - The AD and school president both fly to games. Imagine that the school is so broke that you can't pay for these things, but the AD and president fly to games? Heck, they could just stay home and use that money for some of these things.

They could have stayed home and used that money to feed the dadgum players!

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
I'm not sure what your point is exactly. Is it not OK that I have a problem with the players attempting to dictate the coaching staff?

If things are as bad as the players say (and I have no reason to believe they're not) I hope we'll see more incriminating pictures than that one.

The information is just now coming out, but the original article painted a very vague picture.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The latest developments:

1) The players will be at practice today.
2) The school suspended and fired student journalists for tweeting photos of their mold at the athletic complex.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
2) The school suspended and fired student journalists for tweeting photos of their mold at the athletic complex.
Oh yeah, that's a great PR move. Can't see how other gainfully-employed journalists covering this story could ever cast that in a bad light.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The latest developments:

Oh yeah, that's a great PR move. Can't see how other gainfully-employed journalists covering this story could ever cast that in a bad light.
Grambling is going old, old school with it's response: Kill the messenger.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Seriously, every day the Grambling president looks more and more like a stooge. How has he not been fired yet?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Seriously, every day the Grambling president looks more and more like a stooge. How has he not been fired yet?
My first thought was just pull these kids scholly's start over next year, but the more you hear & read, it's the President & AD that need to go then they can start to repair the damage.

Should be enough NFL alums to fix a lot of this immediately.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Should be enough NFL alums to fix a lot of this immediately.
As I posted a few days back, there are really no NFL alums to "fix" this. I think Grambling has one current player in the NFL, and beyond that the simple fact is that getting sizable donations from former alums in this respect is always tricky. The harsh truth of the matter is that most NFL players are broke at any given time, and that includes a lot of players even with the big contracts. You see a few players now and again give back a hefty donation to their college program, but it's very much a rarity.

For Grambling, if easy money were floating around out there to make all of this better, it would have been received long ago.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.