Link: Do Y'all Like When Cade Foster Kicks Short Kick-Off's

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
It's by design. And it works with the coverage we have.

Sent from my iPhone
Exactly, its definitely by design in my mind. We have solid kickoff coverage, and we set them up with a longer field versus giving them the ball at the 25. I bet if researched, we're giving the opponent the ball short of the 25 yard line a significant percentage of the time.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
You know life is good with your team when you have a 2 page debate going over kickoff strategy.

Edit - now a 3 page debate...

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I just want to say that Cade is having his best year yet. He is a reliable kicker and I feel confident in him..if we need a field goal to win.

He has only missed one this year and has a long of 53 yards. He has also made 34/34 extra points.
Just another player who waited his turn and is now making the best of it. I feel good about our coverage this year so I am fine with it and if we pin them deep, the offensive playcalling for the other team usually changes because of being inside the twenty. The other team will be more predictable and we have a good chance at getting a three and out with good field position after the punt.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's why I started this thread & linked the articles in this thread..It's the 1st time I've actually read an article where it mentions Cade's short angle kicks, and it proves those kicks are by design, he has to be told by the coaches, when to either boot the football out of the EZ or kick the short angle kicks, that allows the special team "Head Hunters" to make a big play

Personally I would prefer if he booted the kicks out of the EZ everytime myself, and let our D go to work at the 25yrd line & let our D win the battle of field position that way,cause a long return in a close game, can swing the momentum to the opposing teams side in a hurry..I trust our coaches cause they obviously know what they're doing..And kick returns brings excitement the game as well..
I was glad you posted it. As long as season before last, I was told by a player's dad who made most of the practices that it was the way they were using Foster. I posted it and was jumped immediately, mostly by people who just didn't like Foster. (I think most of them have now become converts.) Since I couldn't name how I knew it, I just didn't respond. You can take a position against the philosophy, as some have, but you can't fault Foster's execution. His height can't be argued with. In addition, as has been said, CNS has managed to get the ST guys to take pride in their roles - even the starters...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I was glad you posted it. As long as season before last, I was told by a player's dad who made most of the practices that it was the way they were using Foster. I posted it and was jumped immediately, mostly by people who just didn't like Foster. (I think most of them have now become converts.) Since I couldn't name how I knew it, I just didn't respond. You can take a position against the philosophy, as some have, but you can't fault Foster's execution. His height can't be argued with. In addition, as has been said, CNS has managed to get the ST guys to take pride in their roles - even the starters...
That's exactly why I posted this Earle, I remember a game thread last year we argued to others these short angle kick were by design & there were a few posters that argued to they were blue in the face it wasn't by design..When I read the article, that game thread was the 1st thing I thought of, and is why I posted it..It was the 1st article I've read that proved us right..

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
You can take a position against the philosophy, as some have, but you can't fault Foster's execution.
Agreed, and I'm one of those who cringes at the philosophy. I see some of the merits, especially after the discussion in this thread, but some things are hard to reconcile with your gut feelings, even after the numbers show your gut is wrong.

I know it works and I'm certainly pleased that CF is versatile, but it makes me feel like Darrell Royal looking at a pass-happy offense. :)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

This is what I really like. I read in another thread about how much Landon Collins loves to be on kickoffs. That is just leadership by example. The other night Henry just had the 81 yd touchdown run and then I noticed he was right back out there on the kickoff team. I just love the attitudes our guys bring to the table. They want to be part of anything they can on this football team to contribute.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
This is what I really like. I read in another thread about how much Landon Collins loves to be on kickoffs. That is just leadership by example. The other night Henry just had the 81 yd touchdown run and then I noticed he was right back out there on the kickoff team. I just love the attitudes our guys bring to the table. They want to be part of anything they can on this football team to contribute.
CNS does better than any coach I ever recall in my lifetime of making sure no one on the team has any type of entitlement attitude. That is a difficult quality to instill in an 18-19 year old with the level of talent we bring to the campus.

DaleC76

3rd Team
Dec 5, 2006
Interesting. Foster told Eli Gold during the Ole Miss post game that his shorter kickoffs were due to a mechanical error he was watching tape to correct, and not a strategy from the sideline. I do wonder if that's the case.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Interesting. Foster told Eli Gold during the Ole Miss post game that his shorter kickoffs were due to a mechanical error he was watching tape to correct, and not a strategy from the sideline. I do wonder if that's the case.
I'm sure there's occasions when he tries to put in the EZ & he doesn't get a good kick off..But the short angle kicks are by design, you can tell when he's aiming for the corner inside the 10yrd line, as a matter of fact, he's perfected the short angle kick..The control he has with his foot placing the ball inside the 5yrd line is really impressive when he does it, and he's gotten so good at it, he actually make it look easy, when in actuality it's really difficult to do what he does..It's pretty dang impressive..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would think that he's talking when it comes down around the 10 or 12, which it's done from time to time, rather than right at the goal line. If it does come down short of the ten, then the tactic doesn't really work, because they can frequently make it past the 25. Anytime he wants - when they let him go - he can land it near the back of the EZ. All he has to do is lower the trajectory. Watch his long FG attempts and you'll see what I mean...

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I specifically remember watching a presser last year or the year before in which CNS said it was NOT a tactic and he wished Cade would kick every one out of the back of the endzone. Maybe he's changed his tune since then?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I specifically remember watching a presser last year or the year before in which CNS said it was NOT a tactic and he wished Cade would kick every one out of the back of the endzone. Maybe he's changed his tune since then?
That's quite possible. Last season, Cade occasionally kicked way short. I'm sure that was not on purpose...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.