BAMA-LSU at same time as niece's 30th birthday party.... What would you do?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Hmmmm....what were they thinking planning a BIG 3-0 on the UA/LSU game day?

I don't suppose you have to work that Sat.? I ran into someone at a local business on the same day as the Texas A & M game who was supposed to attend her cousin's wedding at the same time of the game. To avoid having to go, she opted to work and was able to watch television at work NON-STOP. It is a family owned business though...
If the game were at 2:30 I'd have it made as I could use the work angle. Won't work for a 7PM kickoff.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I have no idea how long you have been married, but this might be worth a sit down. With mutual love and respect, you should be able to get out of this. It's not about the football game, per se. It is about being asked to give up something important to you for something that is not important to anyone. Why would a loving spouse ask that?
9 years... Oh, and it is important to 1 person, my wife.... Dumb thing is nobody on her side of the family have ever showed to celebrate my birthday... not that I have bday parties... lol

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
9 years... Oh, and it is important to 1 person, my wife.... Dumb thing is nobody on her side of the family have ever showed to celebrate my birthday... not that I have bday parties... lol
Let me guess - Because she doesn't want to go alone, but she doesn't want to miss it either?

BoSox Tider

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2011
I once blew off my then-future in-laws' anniversary party to watch the Tide trounce the Viles. This was 1980 (yup, I'm older than dirt) - I could only see the Tide on the tube 2 or 3 times a year tops, no tivo in those days, and even VCRs were relatively new toys and I didn't have one. Fortunately the then-future Mrs. Tider was very sympathetic. I guess I must have done some other things right, because she is still Mrs. Tider. ;)

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I feel for ya. I'll be at a U12 soccer game during the UT game this Saturday. I'm going to try my best to DVR and not hear the score, but I'm sure someone will spoil it for me.

EDIT: I've got the solution. Skip it and then when she asks where you were, say "I thought you were just 29 this year". All will be forgiven.

Last edited:

tmv85

All-SEC
My husband's nephew got married last year on the day of the A&M game. When we first got the save the date fridge magnet, I didn't pay attention to the date. When I actually looked at it and went to put it in my calendar, I saw the conflict. Hubs said we wouldn't go. I told him we HAD to...it was family. The closer it got to the wedding, but more determined he was not to go. I have to admit, I didn't want to miss the game either. The Sunday of game week, he told me to text his sister-in-law to say we probably wouldn't be there. I did, but I didn't give details. When my husband's niece realized we went to the game instead, she was miffed, but she got over it. Of course, I had to remind her that her dad didn't attend his brother's wedding because he was deer hunting.

Skip the birthday party. Folks may be ticked, but they'll live.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I get the issue for the OP. The point is not that the birthday girl will be PO'd, it's the missus. "I can't go by myself and tell them you are home watching football". "If you loved me you'd give up the game to go with me because it's what we should do". Or maybe the dreaded, "what will people think about our marriage?" This is why these mixed marriages are such a difficult issue.

So, I think the answers are: heck yes get a to-go plate. You are already maybe sleeping on the couch, so might as well push it and see if you can get some leftovers. If you are going to do the time, might as well do the crime. My guess is the initial kerfuffle will last three days to a week, maybe less if she needs something done and you can sort of bargain it away. But you can probably expect to hear about it every time she's PO'd at you for, oh, say, the rest of your natural life.

Note: Mrs. uaintn would never expect me to miss an Alabama game, especially one of this magnitude, for something like this. Funeral probably, wedding maybe/maybe not, but a 30th birthday party, nope, no way. But she is an Alabama girl and was raised right, thank you Pop.

Redstripe

3rd Team
Dec 26, 2012
Foley, Alabama
Take separate cars. Tell your wife that you are going to make an appearance because you love her, or something to that effect, and slip out after everyone sees you were there. That way, she can stay there and have all the birthday fun she wants, and you'll be home alone to scream and cuss at your TV completely unhindered. This birthday party could actually be a blessing in disguise if you play your cards right.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I've let be known up front that nothing interferes with me going to or the watching of on tv Alabama Football PERIOD. Lay out your ground rules. Probably to late for this one but from here on out. Even my work knows that all year long I'll go in or work any day, but when football season rolls around...See ya.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Last year about this time my daughter was planning her wedding and was talking about Sept or Oct 2013. My son who is the oldest spoke up and said you have 8 months out of the year to get married you are not getting married during college football season. She looked at me and that was the end of it. Got married Aug 17. Gotta love my wife too she understands that Sat belongs to me and our son during football season. Watch the game or you will regret it. RTR

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
She don't give a rats butt if I show or not.... The wife is the one who is making a big deal out of it. Damn Aggies...
John, if the wife isn't happy then no one is happy. I think you know what I mean. Have fun at the birthday party. She's turning 30 for crying out loud. I would think there would be some TVs at the place you're going to celebrate.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I can't believe you're even considering not going to the Birth Day party with you wife!!:eek2: Your niece will never have another 30th birth day party. It's just a football game!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.