Tennessee coach / players refer to Alabama as 'the red team'

BamaGal99

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2011
@Volguy, AJ McCarron's comments have been similar from week to week - it isn't about what team we're playing, it's how we play our game. The opponents are faceless. He said it before Arkansas and he said it before Tennessee. In fact, several players and our coach have said the same thing for years. I don't see how that's inflammatory or disrespectful. Just my $0.02.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Rivalry: a competitive or antagonistic state or condition

When one team is consistently kicking the other team's rear it isn't a rivalry, to wit:

2012: UA 44-13
2011: UA 37-6
2010: UA 41-10
2009: UA 12-10
2008: UA 29-9
2007: UA 41-17

Since AJ arrived at the capstone Bama has won all four games and outscored ut 134-39. I think I see where AJ is coming from.
the rivalry has always been somewhat streaky. happily, its usually streaky for bama :D

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
This is a great rivalry week for gosh sake. I don't really care what kind of talk they use to get their team up. Us older folks are glad to see the focus returning to the teams/schools and not the coaches. Tennessee is building up a head of steam, and that should make the game more interesting...but I till think we win. Roll Tide.

@Volguy, AJ McCarron's comments have been similar from week to week - it isn't about what team we're playing, it's how we play our game. The opponents are faceless. He said it before Arkansas and he said it before Tennessee. In fact, several players and our coach have said the same thing for years. I don't see how that's inflammatory or disrespectful. Just my $0.02.
Good $0.02! He isn't disrespecting UT at all. He's looking at the grand scheme of things and not just UT. He'll be the same with with Chattanooga or who's ever next.

Sent from my iPhone

rbvols

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2003
tulsa,ok. usa
This is a great rivalry week for gosh sake. I don't really care what kind of talk they use to get their team up. Us older folks are glad to see the focus returning to the teams/schools and not the coaches. Tennessee is building up a head of steam, and that should make the game more interesting...but I till think we win. Roll Tide.
Great comment Bamaboda1, it's October and it is Bama-Vols week. This board is one of the best for me when everyone is talking football. I just tune out the same old past things that both fan bases can't get over. As far as red goes you are also known as the 'Redwood Forrest', 'Red Elephants' and other uses of the word red by Bama folks. I love this old rivalry and hate that some folks 'hate' it.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
If ut is potter who is Oregon? I didn't read the book where potter got his arms and legs cut off and thrown in a river.
Voldemort was basically evil and Harry Potter was good. Good prevailed over Evil.

However, when Cecil made that comment, it was because the people in the HP books would not SAY Voldemort's name. They called him, "He who shall not be named." Hence, the comment. UT calling us the Red Team is like the people in the HP books calling Voldemort, "he who shall not be named."

Has nothing to do with the Good vs. Evil, although clearly, WE are Harry Potter. Not really sure who Oregon would be, but I would say it would be someone who thought they were more than they really are--perhaps Draco Malfoy or his father.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Voldemort was basically evil and Harry Potter was good. Good prevailed over Evil.

However, when Cecil made that comment, it was because the people in the HP books would not SAY Voldemort's name. They called him, "He who shall not be named." Hence, the comment. UT calling us the Red Team is like the people in the HP books calling Voldemort, "he who shall not be named."

Has nothing to do with the Good vs. Evil, although clearly, WE are Harry Potter. Not really sure who Oregon would be, but I would say it would be someone who thought they were more than they really are--perhaps Draco Malfoy or his father.
I was thinking Draco. But I was trying to make it work with us being Voldemort. Only thing I could come up with was Oregon actually being James Potter. But then that leaves us to be destroyed by some team in 16 or 17 years.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think that the TN fan created a whole lot of crazy talk in this thread. The decision to refer to Alabama as the "red team" during their prep week is a tactic meant to remove their underlying concern that they just cannot beat Alabama. So, if they just cannot beat Alabama, then they are not playing Alabama - they are playing the red team.

The TN head coach has been very respectful of Alabama in all press conferences, and has called Alabama by name. This is something that was meant to stay in the locker room.

Now, do I think that it will work? No. Why? Because those players know very well who they are playing this week, and some of them know that they are going to lose. Others have not conceded the loss yet - and good for them - but you only need to get up quick to see a team that has this kind of mentality fold. Jump on them early and you kill them. Let them stick around and they will start to believe that they just might be able to beat the "red team".
See, I think that's a very level-headed, fair assessment as to what Jones is trying to accomplish. For my part, I'm not in the least offended by it, but rather flattered. My only quibble with it is that I think it could have the opposite affect. In trying to get the players not to focus on "Alabama" , I think it actually will amplify us in their head. By not even saying our name, I think it will make it all the more difficult for the players to do nothing but focus that the name is the biggest thing they are fighting. I may be wrong. We will see on Saturday.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
thats' funny..but the truth eventually wins out...i remember when bob stoops kept telling his team they were playing another big 12 team in the bowl game last year against texas a & m...but at half time when they were down several touchdowns, the okkies had to realize they were indeed playing an SEC team.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

LOL at Draco Malfoy. :biggrin2: Not saying you all are evil or anything like that, but to the CFB world, you are the entrenched power, the evil Voldemort in the dark castle that all the rest of our teams want a crack at.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.