"Blackfish" on CNN

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Anyone else watch this documentary about Tilikum and the atrocities at Sea World?

Sea World as far as I'm concerned can go to Hades...what they are doing to these magnificent creatures is criminal and immoral at the very least.

Also watched a couple discussion forums afterwards and there's Jack Hanna spinning it as a positive - only his arguments were extremely flawed. I'm disappointed to say the least.

It's all about GREED.....not the whales.

Free Tilly!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Free Willzyx! Long live the zypods!

seriously though Sea World is just awful. we should take all the sea world people and make them live in a confined box and perform stunts for our amusement.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Sea World, as a corporation, has also done more for conservation then most zoos even think about. I just don't think Sea World is evil. Is it a great idea to keep giant whales in captivity, probably not but, Sea World ain't the only "aquarium" that does this kind of stuff yet they get all the blame. Maybe it is because I use to live in Orlando and had some friends who worked at Sea World but, I just have a hard time feeling any anger towards them.

Maybe the blame should be placed on the millions of people who visit these parks each year because, without them, Sea World wouldn't exist. Blame humans for wanting to see these types of creatures up close and in person, in a controlled environment for creating a market for these types of venues.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
How is Sea World any different from any other zoo?
Sea World has Killer Whales in CAPTIVITY. That's how they are different.

That's the whole point of my post.

That's what the documentary is about.

Killer Whales cannot be humanely kept in CAPTIVITY.

How much do YOU actually know about Killer Whales?

I didn't either until I watched this 2 hour documentary - and then followed up with research on my own.

Watch it....and then come back and post your thoughts.

Have you ever heard a Killer Whale cry?

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
How is Sea World any different from any other zoo?
Sea World has Killer Whales in CAPTIVITY. That's how they are different.
Ok, one of us is really wrong about what a zoo is :conf3:

Killer Whales cannot be humanely kept in CAPTIVITY.
Well, they can't be humanely kept cause they aint human. If they were, they would be locked up for cruelty to animals for the way they kill those poor baby sea lions and baby seals.

How much do YOU actually know about Killer Whales?

I didn't either until I watched this 2 hour documentary - and then followed up with research on my own.
Not a whole lot. Are they better blackened or broiled? And since it is a mammal but lives like a fish, is it better with white or red wine?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Orca's simply do not need to be in captivity.....for any reason.

No matter what Sea World may publicly state, an Orca's only purpose in their facilities is to generate money.

Anything they may spout off about conservation is a bunch of lies and BS.

Cutting an Orca's life in half is just not OK for the sake of our entertainment and making Sea World a buck.

And for one, I do believe some animals do have emotions of some sort.

Perhaps nothing we could recognize as human, but that doesn't make their type of feelings any less valid.

They are known to be extremely intelligent mammals.

They travel in pods, communicate with each other, etc, etc.

We understand so little about them....how can we know what is best for them?

There are times that the cruelty, selfishness, arrogance, greed and callousness of humans is quite startling.

:frown:

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
About to watch Blackfish for the second time...today.

I'm with you, Bazza.

I'm usually the last one to jump on any "greenpeace" type bandwagon, so I watched this with a very open mind. I thought the documentary was very well done with little bias towards one side. Even though it is about the atrocities at Sea World and other places where Orcas are kept in captivity, I found it to be fair and balanced. There was one person interviewed who I thought was a little "Save the Whales", but as a whole, this was done in a way to allow people to make their own decisions on how to view Sea World at the end.

We have been 3 times and saw Dawn Brancheau perform before she died. Seeing the autopsy report was bone-chilling. Sea World lied about her death and that is what really disgusts me. Will we every go back? Highly doubtful but not necessarily because of this documentary. It has opened my eyes, though, to the level of corporate greed that exists with this company. I had NO idea this had gone on for decades, though. The whale that killed Dawn also killed another girl 20 years before her and almost killed many others. He is still at Sea World Orlando.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
About to watch Blackfish for the second time...today.

I'm with you, Bazza.

I'm usually the last one to jump on any "greenpeace" type bandwagon, so I watched this with a very open mind. I thought the documentary was very well done with little bias towards one side. Even though it is about the atrocities at Sea World and other places where Orcas are kept in captivity, I found it to be fair and balanced. There was one person interviewed who I thought was a little "Save the Whales", but as a whole, this was done in a way to allow people to make their own decisions on how to view Sea World at the end.

We have been 3 times and saw Dawn Brancheau perform before she died. Seeing the autopsy report was bone-chilling. Sea World lied about her death and that is what really disgusts me. Will we every go back? Highly doubtful but not necessarily because of this documentary. It has opened my eyes, though, to the level of corporate greed that exists with this company. I had NO idea this had gone on for decades, though. The whale that killed Dawn also killed another girl 20 years before her and almost killed many others. He is still at Sea World Orlando.
Thanks Belle - as always your insights are appreciated.

I also watched the documentary with zero preconceived notions and afterwards did not feel any bias existed. There was a lot of facts presented that I never knew about - like the girl who Tilicum had killed in the first seaquarium.

What you say about the level of corporate greed by Sea World is absolutely spot on. Not really surprising for any of us who have lived in the corporate world for any length of time.

I'm really glad this film was made. Thanks again for you post.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
FWIW, several of the people featured in the film have come out against the film, claiming the director twisted their statements to fit her agenda, including one claiming the director asked her not to go public with her complaints on the film until after Academy Award voting was finished.
Former Trainer claims only 15 Percent of movie is accurate
Another former Trainer Claims Blackfish was "180" from what she agreed to
Former Tilikum regets Participating Blackfish; Condems factual Errors

OSHA has also launched the investigator in charge of investigating Dawn's death because of her connections to the film.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
The film is straight out of the leftist play book. Instead of making a deeply interesting film that seriously presents all the facts in order to stimulate a meaningful dialogue Cowperthwaite chose to go with meaningless sensationalism. She and her little producer fella had an agenda and they rammed it home with no regard for the facts.

I respect killer whales immensely, and there is no doubt their lives in captivity could be made better. It sickens me that someone who has the chance to actually help chooses to go another route. In the end, all they did was exploit the death of a young woman to make another "evil corporation" film.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.