What type of football does Alabama use?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
My son wants one for Christmas.

It looks like a Nike -something- Elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
My son wants one for Christmas.

It looks like a Nike -something- Elite.
Wilson is the official football for all NCAA games. The NCAA logo is on the balls but I've never noticed if Alabama has their logo or the SEC logo on game balls. I kind of doubt the Alabama logo would be on there though. If you make sure whatever you buy says Wilson "Official" NCAA football you should be okay as far as authenticity.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Wilson is the official football for all NCAA games. The NCAA logo is on the balls but I've never noticed if Alabama has their logo or the SEC logo on game balls. I kind of doubt the Alabama logo would be on there though. If you make sure whatever you buy says Wilson "Official" NCAA football you should be okay as far as authenticity.
Heh.... you got me wondering now. :)

Pretty sure this is a Nike though. :biggrin2:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Mega thanks. I couldn't tell which Nike Elite it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Yep. They use a Nike, but I have never seen the Bama logo on the game balls like most other schools have. I know because I have looked for them in the past.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The footballs are manufactured by Wilson and are identical to NFL except for the half white circle. Nike probably just pays a licensing fee to put their swish on it.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We've used the Nike ball for years now. I think a few years it had our logo on it under the swoosh, but haven't looked this year yet.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
That sure does look like a swoosh. Since Wilson 1001 is the official NCAA football I wonder how they're allowed to use something different?
I'm not sure when it stopped being the "official ball", but many teams use the Nike ball, and have for several years. I would venture a guess that most of the top 25 teams that are "Nike schools" use the Nike ball. I have obtained several game balls over the years and the last 5 or 6 of them have been Nike. I know that Tennessee uses the Wilson GST, and several schools use it too...I wonder if its a matter of preference with the QBs? Not sure. I have some old Spalding J5V's from the 1970s and Wilson TD balls from the early 1980's & 1970's that were Alabama game balls. I don't see a lot of difference between them except for some of the older ones didn't have the "half-stripe". I know that in the early 1980's many schools actually used the Wilson NFL ball with the half-stripe printed over it, Alabama included. Sorry for the impromptu history lecture...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Next question for the pigskin experts. They have a composite leather Nike Elite on Eastbay for half off. How do they compare to the real leather ones? BTW, the real leather is almost triple the cost.

chattabama12

Scout Team
Oct 22, 2008
Wilson 1001 or 1005 for a handful of teams. Nike 3005 for almost all the rest. Spaulding J5V for 1 really crappy team. eBay has a handful of the Nike ones with team logos on them.

CrimsonblakeII

Scout Team
Feb 19, 2012
Seattle, WA
The footballs are manufactured by Wilson and are identical to NFL except for the half white circle. Nike probably just pays a licensing fee to put their swish on it.
Actually college balls are smaller than NFL balls. Trust me I know, I quit dreaming of playing in the nfl when i put my tiny little hands on one of those bad boys in HS. They are much larger.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.