Who has the toughest remaining schedule of the top contenders?

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Bama has AP #11 LSU up next, then Ap #8 Auburn to end the regular season. Ap #10 Mizzou awaits in Atlanta if all goes well.

Ohio State doesn't have anyone in the top 15.

Oregon has one team ranked in the top 15.

Florida State has one team ranked in the top 15.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Alabama has the toughest remaining schedule followed by Oregon. I do not see anybody left on FSU and tOSU's schedule that can beat them. Baylor will probably lose at least one game.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Actually, if UGA doesn't lose one more time and Missouri loses 2 more times to SEC opponent, UGA goes to Atlanta even if SC wins out. Think about that. Missouri by virtue of beating UGA has the best chance of getting to Atlanta from the East. Either way, I don't mind playing SC or Mizzoo in Atlanta. The Dawgs, if healthy, would present a bigger problem for us (assuming we get there). I still think we could take the Dawgs even if fully healthy.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
USCe looks like they're in good position to me. I think Mizzou has one loss in them (aTm), but the rest of the schedule is SEC bottom feeding.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Someone answer this: if Mizzou drops the Texas A&M game and finishes 6-2 in conference play and South Carolina wins out in conference play to finish 6-2 as well, does that push the Gamecocks into Atlanta? USC has the head-to-head comparison in their favor; however, Mizzou would only have one Eastern Division loss whereas Carolina would have 2.

I tend to think Mizzou would still end up in Atlanta because of the divisional loss factor, but I'm not sure how the rules read.

Actually, if UGA doesn't lose one more time and Missouri loses 2 more times to SEC opponent, UGA goes to Atlanta even if SC wins out. Think about that. Missouri by virtue of beating UGA has the best chance of getting to Atlanta from the East. Either way, I don't mind playing SC or Mizzoo in Atlanta. The Dawgs, if healthy, would present a bigger problem for us (assuming we get there). I still think we could take the Dawgs even if fully healthy.
Have you seen that defense?!

Sent from my iPhone

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I doubt its Mizzou representing the east. I truly believe it will be SC.
Think you are right on this. I don't see either Mississippi State or Florida beating South Carolina, meaning the Gamecocks should finish up 6-2 in conference play. Not sure how Mizzou responds from their meltdown on Saturday night, but I'm betting they drop at least one game against either Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss. As such, the smart choice is on South Carolina getting to Atlanta at 6-2, perhaps going over Mizzou because of the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Someone answer this: if Mizzou drops the Texas A&M game and finishes 6-2 in conference play and South Carolina wins out in conference play to finish 6-2 as well, does that push the Gamecocks into Atlanta? USC has the head-to-head comparison in their favor; however, Mizzou would only have one Eastern Division loss whereas Carolina would have 2.

I tend to think Mizzou would still end up in Atlanta because of the divisional loss factor, but I'm not sure how the rules read.
That's correct. With two-team ties in the division, the tiebreaker is the head-to-head match-up. If both South Carolina and Mizzou finish up 6-2 in SEC play, then, South Carolina wins the East and goes to Atlanta due to its victory over Mizzou.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
That scenario is actually a lot more feasible than a lot of people would otherwise believe, albeit still unlikely. With Texas A&M and Ole Miss (in Oxford) left on the schedule, it's certainly not unreasonable to believe that Missouri could lose two more SEC games in the stretch run.

By the same token, there is a decent chance that Georgia wins out in conference play. Florida is unlikely to up-end UGA given the Gators' putrid offense, and Kentucky is not a real threat. In my eyes, the only real stumbling block for UGA is Auburn, and while that will certainly be a tough battle, with Murray at the helm, it's certainly a possibility if Todd Gurley, Tray Matthews, and Michael Bennett all return from injury, as expected (and possibly Chris Conley and Josh Harvey-Clemons as well). Auburn might ultimately win that game, but it won't be one they run away with, and I expect it to be close once UGA has a few players return to the lineup.

Either way, regardless if it's Georgia, Mizzou, or South Carolina we ultimately face in Atlanta, any of those three pale in comparison to the fight we will hopefully get in Pasadena against either FSU or Oregon.

Last edited:

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I agree that Carolina looks like the likely representative from the East at this point. It's hard to see Mizzou getting past Texas A&M, and I can't see a healthy Carolina dropping games to Florida or Mississippi State.

Then again, who knows....Carolina nearly lost to Central Florida and Kentucky and frittered away a game to a sub-par Tennessee team. They are annually one of the most hot/cold teams in the conference.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I'm going with the ducks.
Guess that is somewhat of a toss-up, but least in my own eyes I'd rather have their slate than a home game against LSU, road game against a solid Auburn team, and a neutral site game against a solid SEC East champion. Problem I have with the purported strength of Oregon's schedule is that much of that argument is predicated on Stanford being a very tough opponent, when in reality there are ample reasons to suspect that Stanford is quite a bit overrated (close wins over Oregon State and Washington, and an ugly loss to a Utah team that is .500 overall and only 1-4 in Pac-12 play).

Either way, I think it's obvious 'Bama and Oregon have a much tougher slate ahead than Florida State, who I think can basically sleepwalk to 13-0 at this point. Downside for FSU isn't the schedule, but that they don't control their own destiny. Those guys can blow everyone out of the water over the next six weeks, but unless 'Bama or Oregon lose, they are playing for table scraps.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.