Kenyan Drake fumble at goal line

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Did anyone else see helmet-to-helmet on that play? Is that supposed to be a penalty? Not sure of the rule.

I'm not surprised he dropped the ball, getting knocked in the head like that.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Kenyan fumbled because he was changing position of the ball at the point of contact.
Positioning the ball to extend it over the Goal Line...

Ancient history...
In the 60s Receivers and Running backs put what was called 'Stickum' on their hands. (now it's banned)
It was a tacky sticky substance used to help you hold onto a slick football.
A lot of names you are familiar with used it... and a bunch of no-names too. ;)

We could have used some of that on that play... Might have helped.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
If that was a penalty you might as well stop playing the game.
Yep, the rules have become ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me to see the powers that be try to turn it into flag football one day.

Also, all the fumbling on the goal line from both of our top running backs has been unsettling. It could cost us a big game at some point. I trust Coach Saban, the coaching staff and our running backs to correct the problem in our remaining games.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Both of them need to stop reaching the ball, and power it in instead.
That's absolutely right. I have seen this so many times, both at the college level and the NFL, where the running back tries to make something happen. More often than not, if they fumble, it rolls out of bounds for a touchback. Tennessee lost to Georgia this year, in part because of a similar play. The running back coaches need to start teaching the runners to stop doing this. Unless it's fourth down, it makes no sense.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Kenyan fumbled because he was changing position of the ball at the point of contact.
Positioning the ball to extend it over the Goal Line...

Ancient history...
In the 60s Receivers and Running backs put what was called 'Stickum' on their hands. (now it's banned)
It was a tacky sticky substance used to help you hold onto a slick football.
A lot of names you are familiar with used it... and a bunch of no-names too. ;)

We could have used some of that on that play... Might have helped.
Just a nitpick, but stickum came during the 70s and was banned in 1981. The Raiders were notorious for using it. Someone said about the ban, that Lester Hayes would still get interceptions, he just wouldn't be catching them with his elbows anymore.:)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
H2H was there, yes but doesn't matter in this case ( as another poster brought it up...) running back knows what he's getting into and unless it's BLATANT unnecessary roughness, it won't get called.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Just a nitpick, but stickum came during the 70s and was banned in 1981. The Raiders were notorious for using it. Someone said about the ban, that Lester Hayes would still get interceptions, he just wouldn't be catching them with his elbows anymore.:)
yeah, hayes wore that stuff up to his armpits it seemed.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Indeed. I tell ya, Kenyan and TJ have both been outstanding but they both are putting the ball on the ground too much.
I agree. Mark and Trent did not fumble as much in their entire careers as much as TJ and Kenyan have in the first 8 games of this year. I love both guys but they have to hold on to the football better.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
The coaches need to drive home the idea that 1st and goal from the 1 is infinitely better than a touchback. I get it that the RB wants to score, not just set up the touchdown, but ball security needs to be paramount.

socalbamafan123

Scout Team
May 26, 2010
That's absolutely right. I have seen this so many times, both at the college level and the NFL, where the running back tries to make something happen. More often than not, if they fumble, it rolls out of bounds for a touchback. Tennessee lost to Georgia this year, in part because of a similar play. The running back coaches need to start teaching the runners to stop doing this. Unless it's fourth down, it makes no sense.

Stop trying to extend the ball, we don't have to do it, have u seen our OL?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It was a a freak fumble. I think Drake did the right thing reaching for the goal. He'll score 999 times out of a 1000 and drop the ball the other time.

When you don't want to reach is when you're in traffic and it's not 4th down.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Stop trying to extend the ball, we don't have to do it, have u seen our OL?

I think you're touching on THE point. Not sure why this goal line fumblitis has hit epidemic proportions, but it looks like a trend. Pig Howard cost Tennessee the biggest game changing situation of the season. For Howard what was to gain that wouldn't have been available the very next play? Certainly the same was true of Drake. Why risk a turnover in that situation, especially given the fact he has spent considerable time in Saban's doghouse basement for such inattentive behavior. The next play they rush the ball and Drake scores. At some point, unless it's 4th down, you have to know ahead of time what is the smart thing to do. But you think about those things ahead of time.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I agree. Mark and Trent did not fumble as much in their entire careers as much as TJ and Kenyan have in the first 8 games of this year. I love both guys but they have to hold on to the football better.
Coffee, Ingram and Richardson all tucked the ball up high and hardly ever fumbled (I have blocked from memory Ingram's fumble agains Auburn). I don't see Drake or Yeldon carry the ball this way. I am assuming this was something the staff was teaching at one point, but don't seem to be doing it any longer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.