2013 "Game of the Century" - Oregon vs. Stanford

bamafaninwi

Sep 5, 2007
Oshkosh, WI
Not to step on your toes, BUT...
Did you notice that Crimsonaudio is one of our Administrators?
NOTICE... The sentiments expressed by Crimsonaudio coincide with opinions of most members of TIDEFANS. This is after all our board.
I didn't see it as rude, but then again, I'm getting old and cantankerous.
My Grand Pa taught me that... "Plain talk is easy understood".
I would like to clarify my position. I do not feel that my toes have been stepped on, but the thread starter's were.

Of course I know that CrimsonAudio is an Administrator. Did YOU notice that my join date was 2007? I read everyday, but very rarely post. I feel that if this truly is the "best board in college football" that as an oberserver for the most part, very familiar with this board (Alabama Alum from the 70's), all ideas and discussion should be welcome.

This board is always advertising that it is friendly and welcoming to all fans who want to respectfully discuss college football. (Except LSU of course)

I was trying to convey that the thread title is "Stanford vs. Oregon" so if one does not wish to read or engage in this discussion, it is easily avoided by not clicking on the thread. Pure and Simple. Hope that, "Plain talk is eas(ily) understood."

Not trying to flame, just sayin...... And I am quite sure that I am older, a lady, and more cantakerous than you :)

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Re: 2013 - Oregon vs. Stanford

lol. Not here for approval, just here to get some insight into a team that we might get to play at the end of the year (hopefully) and its fans.

Dude, I admire your moxy.......and feel that you are a passionate duck fan... but you've got to realize where we all come from......If you haven't...., look up the history of Crimson Tide Football.....back in the day, northern influences thought that the south was a joke when it came to the "civilized, gentleman's game" of football..... Long story short, when they seen we were a worthy opponent in the National Championship game against Washington.... they first tried to obviously "take out" our key players which ....ed the rest of our team off and the rest is history........... No one else has the pedigree in 100 years that BAMA does........

We may meet Oregon in the NC game...... We may not......We may not get there........or the ducks may not get there......... but nevertheless, when you get flak here on TideFans..... you gotta realize....

there's a 100 years of animosity brewing that should let you know.....(if you do your research).......to tread lightly!!!!! RTR!!!!!

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

Dude, I admire your moxy.......and feel that you are a passionate duck fan... but you've got to realize where we all come from......If you haven't...., look up the history of Crimson Tide Football.....back in the day, northern influences thought that the south was a joke when it came to the "civilized, gentleman's game" of football..... Long story short, when they seen we were a worthy opponent in the National Championship game against Washington.... they first tried to obviously "take out" our key players which ....ed the rest of our team off and the rest is history........... No one else has the pedigree in 100 years that BAMA does........

We may meet Oregon in the NC game...... We may not......We may not get there........or the ducks may not get there......... but nevertheless, when you get flak here on TideFans..... you gotta realize....

there's a 100 years of animosity brewing that should let you know.....(if you do your research).......to tread lightly!!!!! RTR!!!!!
Washington is a dirty team at times. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to take out players in the past.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

lol. Not here for approval, just here to get some insight into a team that we might get to play at the end of the year (hopefully) and its fans.
I agree with danb's comments with knowing where "we"/Bama fans/SEC fans are coming from. Many fans of today have no clue that at one time the SEC was looked down upon by the rest of the country. It was just as political as it was anything. So for years the SEC had to deal with this type mindset from the rest of the country. That is also why our fans have so much conference pride. Because the above history has been passed down from generation to generation. We have some hated rivalries within our conference but for the most part when go outside the conference we pull for the SEC to win. We pull for our conference to show that not only do we belong but we can be the best in the country. We're not an inferior product. We can play some dang good football. No matter what the rest of the country thinks. That is also why for the last seven years "SEC, SEC, SEC" gets crammed down the rest of the country's throat. It's just a reminder of the past when "y'all" looked down upon not only our conference but our region of the country. Its much more than "just a game" for people in the south.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

These Thursday night games have been golden for the Tide the past two years. If I were FSU or Ohio St. I'd be jacked right now. Baylor and Oregon have HUGE Thursday night games. Personally I think Oregon is going to cruise into the BCSCG. This Cardinal team is soooooooooo much weaker than last year that it is not really comparable. I think Bama has a far more difficult Path of getting back to Pasadena. Regardless, if Oregon and Bama get to play for it all they both will have EARNED it because both will have to be perfect to make it and that ain't easy in college fball today. RTR!

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

I gotta give OB this... he's managed to stir the pot without getting banned. Does it annoy me, yeah, maybe a little, but lots of things annoy me.

If you're reading, OB, my recommendation would be to let a few of the jabs go. Let it roll off you like water from a ... well, you should know. We're going to defend Bama, because it's a Bama board. If you don't like it, step away. If you like it too much... then someone will eventually remove you. Some of the split-loyalty and other team fans are valued contributors on here. Even some from major rivals! I'm pretty certain you don't fall into that category here (yet), but if you stopped ruffling feathers (no pun intended), you might learn a lot more about our team and your chances.

You're walking a fine line only because this is a Bama board. But it is what it is. This isn't an ESPN article where everyone flames everyone else for the heck of it. If you want to participate, we'd love to have you. If you want to keep jabbing at everyone you think is threatening, then go to ITAT.

Addendum: Don't think that this is me defending people flaming you. There are some I agree with, and some that aren't so appropriate. Like I said before, lots of things annoy me.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I want to be worried about the LSU game, I really do.

I just can't.

Having watched both teams over the past few weeks leaves me with only one conclusion: barring some catastrophic set of circumstances involving injuries and/or illness among the Bama starters, there is no reason that we should lose to LSU.

Now, I'm not saying that LSU isn't a good team, can't give us a run for our money, and will be an easy win; I do, however, think that we're going to make it look easy.

We match up very well with LSU this year - especially considering how they've been playing the past few weeks. Yes, perhaps they have been looking forward to the Bama game for weeks and over-looking their opponents but they have a few issues that are fundamental and/or personnel problems that don't get fixed overnight.

Here are three defensive category rankings for LSU and Bama, only taking into account SEC Conference games:

Defensive Category Rankings vs Conference Opponents
LSUAlabama
Avg. / GameConference RankAvg. / GameConference Rank
Rushing Defense (YPR)4.418th3.772nd
Passing Eff. Defense131.95th113.062nd
Scoring Defense (PPG)24.85th11.81st

Unlike recent years, there's a significant difference between the two. Of course, even this doesn't fully take into account the level of competition each team has faced, since both teams have only played five conference games. So, let's look at what each defense has done in conference play relative to what their SEC opponents have averaged in conference play.

Defensive Category Differential Stats vs Conference Opponents
LSU DefenseLSU Opponents' OffenseDifferential
Rushing (YPR)4.414.380.03
Passing Efficiency131.9134.29-2.39
Scoring (PPG)24.827.2-2.4
Alabama DefenseAlabama Opponents' OffenseDifferential
Rushing (YPR)3.774.38-0.61
Passing Efficiency113.06122.43-9.37
Scoring (PPG)11.823.8-12

While LSU has faced slightly better offenses in regard to Yards per Rush and Passing Efficiency than has Alabama, the Crimson Tide Defense has fared significantly better than LSU's against their opponents - relative to what their opponents are averaging in conference play. Amazingly enough, both Alabama's and LSU's opponents have collectively averaged exactly 4.38 Yards per Rush on the season - that wasn't a typo or copy and paste error. :) However, just like the other two stats, the Crimson Tide Defense has fared much better than LSU's - this time playing against virtually identical levels of offensive rushing prowess.

Ok, so what about the offenses?

Offensive Category Rankings vs Conference Opponents
LSUAlabama
Avg. / GameConference RankAvg. / GameConference Rank
Rushing Offense (YPR)4.239th6.891st
Passing Eff. Offense157.923rd164.022nd
Scoring Offense (PPG)35.24th43.82nd

Offensive Category Differential Stats vs Conference Opponents
LSU OffenseLSU Opponents' DefenseDifferential
Rushing (YPR)4.234.37-0.14
Passing Efficiency157.92132.1925.73
Scoring (PPG)35.229.55.7
Alabama OffenseAlabama Opponents' DefenseDifferential
Rushing (YPR)6.895.221.67
Passing Efficiency164.02152.0212.00
Scoring (PPG)43.836.07.8

As you can see, LSU has faced noticeably better defenses than has Alabama. However, the differentials tell an interesting story. First, you'll see that LSU wins its first - and only - differential comparison with Alabama in the way of Passing Efficiency Offense, as the Tigers have performed significantly better than the Tide in this differential. Second, you'll see that while both teams have significant scoring differentials, Alabama has fared a little bit better than LSU in that category. Finally, you'll notice that Alabama's Rushing (Yards per Rush) differential is excellent while LSU's is actually negative - putting LSU's Rushing Offense firmly in the bottom half of the SEC.

Of course, there are a few things to consider when looking at these offensive stats. First, in Alabama's closest conference tilt the Tide netted its highest Passing Efficiency Rating and its second highest Scoring Total (though netting its second "worst" Rushing performance at 6.32 yards per rush) in conference play - a win against Texas A&M. In addition, every other SEC game the Tide has played in has been a blowout win for Alabama. While blowout wins for many teams equals padded stats, for Alabama - as we all know - this usually means taking their foot off the pedal. Meanwhile, only one LSU conference tilt could potentially be considered a blowout - their 59-26 win over Mississippi State - although even that game yielded only a 31-26 lead for LSU going into the 4th Quarter. While this does mean that LSU has been tested more often in conference play than has Alabama, it is worth noting that Alabama won its only closely contested game while LSU lost two out of its three most closely contested games.

Add to all of this the facts that:
1) Alabama's Special Teams - for the first time in recent memory - is performing significantly better than LSU's,
2) Alabama's Time of Possession is better than LSU's,
3) Alabama's Turnover Margin is better than LSU's,
4) the 'Eye-Test' tells you that Alabama has been improving significantly as the season has progressed while telling you that LSU has seemingly been trending downward as the season has progressed, and
5) against their only common opponent - Ole Miss - the Tigers lost on the road while the Tide blew them out at home...

And the signs all point to a big Bama win over LSU.
I can't argue with stats...they are what they are. But I will say this: the barn and the who's HATE Bama and it makes the season for a lot of them when they win. So I wouldn't plan on them not being ready to play on the 9th.
Most didn't think last year's game was going to turn out like it did...I certainly didn't. Muffleberger had the game of his life.

roltidejunky

Scout Team
Oct 22, 1999
Vicksburg, MS
Since I am stationed out here in California and only 2 hours south of Palo Alto, I am thinking about going to this game. I have an Oregon fan that works with me that is bugging me to go with him, think i might take him up on the offer. But of course I will only be sporting my Crimson Tide gear!!!! THis will be my first PAC 12 game i have ever attended, so lets hope for a great game so I aint bored sitting in the stands wondering how bad the Tide gonna whoop up on the tiggers!!!!!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Bama is 4-3 against LSU under CNS, here's the breakdown of the head-to-head scoring:
Bama: 22.0 ppg
LSU: 18.1 ppg

If you remove the BCSCG (include only regular season games), the numbers are much closer:
Bama: 22.2 ppg
LSU:: 21.2 ppg

IOW, while my heart thinks we win this by 17 or more, history would indicate that LSU is always a tough game...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
As you can see, LSU has faced noticeably better defenses than has Alabama. However, the differentials tell an interesting story. First, you'll see that LSU wins its first - and only - differential comparison with Alabama in the way of Passing Efficiency Offense, as the Tigers have performed significantly better than the Tide in this differential. Second, you'll see that while both teams have significant scoring differentials, Alabama has fared a little bit better than LSU in that category. Finally, you'll notice that Alabama's Rushing (Yards per Rush) differential is excellent while LSU's is actually negative - putting LSU's Rushing Offense firmly in the bottom half of the SEC.

Of course, there are a few things to consider when looking at these offensive stats. First, in Alabama's closest conference tilt the Tide netted its highest Passing Efficiency Rating and its second highest Scoring Total (though netting its second "worst" Rushing performance at 6.32 yards per rush) in conference play - a win against Texas A&M. In addition, every other SEC game the Tide has played in has been a blowout win for Alabama. While blowout wins for many teams equals padded stats, for Alabama - as we all know - this usually means taking their foot off the pedal. Meanwhile, only one LSU conference tilt could potentially be considered a blowout - their 59-26 win over Mississippi State - although even that game yielded only a 31-26 lead for LSU going into the 4th Quarter. While this does mean that LSU has been tested more often in conference play than has Alabama, it is worth noting that Alabama won its only closely contested game while LSU lost two out of its three most closely contested games.

Add to all of this the facts that:
1) Alabama's Special Teams - for the first time in recent memory - is performing significantly better than LSU's,
2) Alabama's Time of Possession is better than LSU's,
3) Alabama's Turnover Margin is better than LSU's,
4) the 'Eye-Test' tells you that Alabama has been improving significantly as the season has progressed while telling you that LSU has seemingly been trending downward as the season has progressed, and
5) against their only common opponent - Ole Miss - the Tigers lost on the road while the Tide blew them out at home...

And the signs all point to a big Bama win over LSU.
Alabama has been scoring ~150% of their opponents' average points allowed.
Alabama has allowed ~30% of their opponents' average points scored.
The ratio (my new favorite metric) is a nation-leading 4.98.

LSU has been scoring ~143% of their opponents' average points allowed
LSU has allowed ~79% of their opponents' average points scored.

Using these percentages to project a head-to-head score results in
Alabama 33
LSU 14

The top 20 teams:
Ratio Name
4.98 Alabama
3.72 Florida State
2.92 Louisville
2.90 Oregon
2.71 Wisconsin
2.58 Baylor
2.37 Ohio State
2.17 UCF
2.15 Arizona State
2.15 BYU
2.05 Stanford
1.97 Washington
1.96 Auburn
1.87 Georgia Tech
1.86 Clemson
1.86 Virginia Tech
1.85 Texas A&M
1.80 LSU
1.79 USC
1.77 Kansas State

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Using those stats, Alabama scores somewhere between 33-40 points, while LSU scores somewhere between 17-23 points. Worst case, Alabama wins by 10. Best case, Alabama wins by 23.

OreGUN Ducks

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 23, 2012
Mountain View, CA

Dude, you're real close to being a troll. Stop starting so many threads about Oregon on here, and stop feeling the need to refute everyone Bama fan's opinion on Oregon -- it does absolutely nothing but irritate people.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
1. This game is big, even though many of you aren't acknowledging it. Stanford has been molded to resemble an Alabama team, so it's a chance to see how Oregon will do against that style of offense and defense.

2. Last year, without this game, we would NOT have made it to the national championship....or have you all already forgotten "chaos saturday" when k-state and oregon fell?

3. i see the threads been hijacked and turned into an lsu/bama thread, and all i have to say is for those of you that "aren't worried".....last year metzenburg was crappy all season...until the day he showed up and almost blew the doors off of us in that incredible game. underestimate lsu if you want, but it's a foolish decision.

4. i'm excited to see the oregon/stanford game, as i respect oregon and like stanford (any school with those scholastic standards that has that good of a football program is impressive.)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.