2013 "Game of the Century" - Oregon vs. Stanford

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
2013 - Oregon vs. Stanford

Win this one and we've reached the summit of the mountain and are cruising down the other side with Bama looming on the distant horizon like the land of Mordor and nothing but an open plain separating us from the goal. How do you think it'll play out? How do you hope it'll play out? What do you think you'll learn from this game?

Last edited:

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Win this one and we've reached the summit of the mountain and are cruising down the other side with Bama looming on the distant horizon like the land of Mordor and nothing but an open plain separating us from the goal. How do you think it'll play out? How do you hope it'll play out? What do you think you'll learn from this game?
Close game I like Stanford, blowout I like the Ducks.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Game of the Century? It wouldn't make game of the week this week (FSU/Miami), and it certainly won't make game of the week next week (Alabama/LSU).

But guess what - it will make game of the day. They are playing it on Thursday night.

But, to answer your question, if you beat Stanford we will know that you are at least as good as Utah. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
Game of the Century? It wouldn't make game of the week this week (FSU/Miami), and it certainly won't make game of the week next week (Alabama/LSU).

But guess what - it will make game of the day. They are playing it on Thursday night.
Game of the century was just a joke. But it's more important than FSU blowing out Miami, since a win over Stanford would basically put 2nd place out of reach for them unless we slipped up somewhere else. My guess is that they may just by the skin of their teeth regain 2nd but it only lasts a week.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Game of the century was just a joke. But it's more important than FSU blowing out Miami, since a win over Stanford would basically put 2nd place out of reach for them unless we slipped up somewhere else. My guess is that they may just by the skin of their teeth regain 2nd but it only lasts a week.
I agree that it is very important to Oregon. But it really isn't that important to the rest of college football after the Stanford loss to Utah. FSU/Miami is a huge rivarly game, with both teams undefeated. Right now, that game means more that the Alabama/LSU game.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
I agree that it is very important to Oregon. But it really isn't that important to the rest of college football after the Stanford loss to Utah. FSU/Miami is a huge rivarly game, with both teams undefeated. Right now, that game means more that the Alabama/LSU game.
I don't think it means more than either game. I suspect it will be no different than the Clemson game. Miami will be shown for what it is--a team that doesn't measure up to FSU or the rest of the top 5. It doesn't impress me any more than Oklahoma beating the no loss Texas Tech team. Stanford has 1 loss and it's ranked ahead of Miami. There is a powerful perception than Stanford is the much better team, and that perception is correct. Miami's opponents up to now:
Fri, Aug 30Florida Atl

1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 7 Florida

2-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 21Savannah State

3-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 28South Florida

4-0 (0-0)
Sat, Oct 5Georgia Tech

5-0 (1-0)
Thu, Oct 17North Carolina

6-0 (2-0)
Sat, Oct 26Wake Forest

7-0 (3-0)

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Re: 2013 - Oregon vs. Stanford

Just be careful what you wish for. A lot of teams have been calling for Bama and it hasn't worked out to well. Personally, from what I've seen, Oregon doesn't want AL or FSU. Y'all just worry about Stanford and let the rest take care of itself.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

But, to answer your question, if you beat Stanford we will know that you are at least as good as Utah. :biggrin2:
I agree.

Stanford has looked very beatable. I wouldn't be betting on Oregon losing this game.

Bama/LSU in 2011 is still the only game of the century. Both teams were good and pretty evenly matched. The outcome proves it for the first game. Now for part 2 we out coached and out played an evenly matched team.

I just don't see how Stanford can win this game. Only way is if Oregon makes mistakes. Which definitely doesn't make this "the Game of the Century". (Joke or not)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think it means more than either game. I suspect it will be no different than the Clemson game. Miami will be shown for what it is--a team that doesn't measure up to FSU or the rest of the top 5. It doesn't impress me any more than Oklahoma beating the no loss Texas Tech team. Stanford has 1 loss and it's ranked ahead of Miami. There is a powerful perception than Stanford is the much better team, and that perception is correct.
While I do not disagree with your guess that Miami is about to be exposed (I posted as much last week), that still does not change the fact that they arrive undefeated with a chance to move themselves into BCSCG contention. If Utah can beat Stanford, Miami can certainly beat FSU.

That is why we play the games - and that is why the game is still important.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I don't think it means more than either game. I suspect it will be no different than the Clemson game. Miami will be shown for what it is--a team that doesn't measure up to FSU or the rest of the top 5. It doesn't impress me any more than Oklahoma beating the no loss Texas Tech team. Stanford has 1 loss and it's ranked ahead of Miami. There is a powerful perception than Stanford is the much better team, and that perception is correct. Miami's opponents up to now:
Fri, Aug 30Florida Atl

1-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 7 Florida

2-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 21Savannah State

3-0 (0-0)
Sat, Sept 28South Florida

4-0 (0-0)
Sat, Oct 5Georgia Tech

5-0 (1-0)
Thu, Oct 17North Carolina

6-0 (2-0)
Sat, Oct 26Wake Forest

7-0 (3-0)

Don't underestimate a team that finds a way to win each and every week --- confidence is a powerful tool in your arsenal.....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It was a joke.....nothing more. We've got Bama posters in our forums too.
Do they start 5 threads each week about Bama? Or do they comment about Oregon?

My original intention was to be a weisenheimer -- but we do not always like to have daily threads about a team we never play -- and have no guarantee to play this year, or any year -- Once in a while, cool -- but geez.....you may just start getting more flack from the natives about it as it continues.....

That's all....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.