With 22 Hard Verbals already, how does Bama get to 25?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
RTO if we know Dominic Jackson has a lot of work to do, why even take his commitment. Why not focus on someone we know will be cleared by the ncaa right away?
The simple answer is because he's someone Saban wanted.

Everything you said has to be colored with "because of that stupid SEC signing limit". I suppose the response to your question is, you can't just throw away talent because of the rule.
Very possible. In any case, it was one gigantic overreaction by the SEC and it is causing the conference to lose prospects in our own backyards, especially to ACC teams.
It was an overreaction to carefully calculated propaganda. You notice the issue has almost gone away once the SEC self-imposed the limit. The ACC teams are still "oversigning", but the people that were pushing this were trying to go after the SEC, not the ACC. If it doesn't impact the BCSCG this year, it will in the next couple of years. No team is good enough to pull a couple key players off of it and make no difference. All anyone has to do is look at Saban's first #1 class at Alabama, and consider what that looks like under the current SEC rule.

Edit: By the way, Nutt signed 37 in 2009.

But, to underscore what happened here just take a look at some numbers (I'm saying signed, but of course there can be any number of complicated issues). I left out the service academies because I'm not sure what's up with their having over 40 some years.
In 2012 Texas signed 28 and Miami signed 33, Northern Illinois signed 30, and Cincinnati signed 29.
In 2011 USC signed 30, FSU, and UCF signed 29.
In 2010 Miami signed 29, Troy signed 34 and Washington signed 31.
In 2009 UNC signed 29, Troy signed 40?, and USF signed 30.
In 2008 Miami signed 32, Minnesota (yes, a Big 10 team) signed 30, Troy signed 33, Kansas State signed 32, and VT signed 31.
in 2007 Oregon signed 29, Oregon St. signed 35, Kansas State signed 33, and Southern Miss signed 32.
In 2006 Texas Tech signed 34, Oregon St. signed 33, and Kansas State signed 30.

I ended it at 2006, because that kind of summed things up well. Did you hear anyone bash Kansas State for signing a full 85 over three years? Oregon St. for having 68 in two years? I left out SEC programs to make the point that this phenomena is not and was not limited to the SEC. Sure, it can get out of hand, like Nutt did by signing a lot of kids he knew wouldn't be eligible, but the resolution was the previous signing limit of 28, which left room to deal with academic casualties, MLB players and the like. The signing limit of 25 was one of the stupidest things the SEC has done. That means on any given class, two or three kids could be playing for Miami, FSU or the like because the SEC program they wanted to go to couldn't sign them.

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
no disrespect to the OP, but this thread comes up every single year esp. close to NSD.
you would think by now that CNS and staff have had lots of practice on how to get the the numbers to fit.

relax, he gets paid handsomely to worried about recruiting. it always works out in the end.

Last edited:

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Interestingly enough , "abusive" oversigning did start at Ole Miss . However , it did not begin with Houston Nutt . Tommy Earberville was the first "overt abuser" back in the mid-late 90's .

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
no disrespect to the OP, but this thread comes up every single year esp. close to NSD.
you would think by now that CNS and staff have had lots of practice on how to get the the numbers to fit.

relax, he gets paid handsomely to worried about recruiting. it always works out in the end.
ANd history proves that he is pretty good at it too :biggrin:

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
\
In 2008 Miami signed 32, Minnesota (yes, a Big 10 team) signed 30, Troy signed 33, Kansas State signed 32, and VT signed 31.
in 2007 Oregon signed 29, Oregon St. signed 35, Kansas State signed 33, and Southern Miss signed 32.
In 2006 Texas Tech signed 34, Oregon St. signed 33, and Kansas State signed 30.

I ended it at 2006, because that kind of summed things up well. Did you hear anyone bash Kansas State for signing a full 85 over three years?
By my count KrAzY3 that was 95 over 3 years.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
By my count KrAzY3 that was 95 over 3 years.
Oh uh yeah, I guess my brain wasn't wanting to go past the scholarship limit, heh...

But, I guess that sums it up. That was a non-story, even to the people reporting on "oversigning". It doesn't mean that anything nefarious was going on, but it shows the double standard.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
According to AL.COM Bo S sat out his game Friday with a knee injury and JC was helped off with a knee injury Friday night. If either are serious such as a torn ACL they could be grey shirt prospects which frees up 2 spots. Regardless, I am sure Saban has a wicked flow chart with all the what if scenarios...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.