How long can we keep Mario Cristobal and Kirby Smart?

Which coach leaves first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I am already starting to see Mario Cristobal's name tossed around for the FAU job.

Kirby has been biding his time, but with some of the top jobs in the industry open this year (USC, maybe Texas) you have got to consider this is his last year.

So the question is, which coach is the first to leave Alabama for a head coaching job?

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Re: How long do we keep Mario Cristobal and Kirby Smart?

mario cristobal was literally just fired as the head coach of florida international less than 12 months ago. highly unlikely he's a candidate for another hc job this soon.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Cristobal did a great job at FIU and they were stupid to fire him. Almost any smaller program in need of an overhaul would love to have him. The fact he was fired from FIU reflects poorly on FIU, not him.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

Cristobal did a great job at FIU and they were stupid to fire him. Almost any smaller program in need of an overhaul would love to have him. The fact he was fired from FIU reflects poorly on FIU, not him.
Agree with that...hope he stays but I could see him to FAU...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Well, since Saban is staying I guess that it is time for Alabama fans to start worring about other coaches leaving. :biggrin:

Must be a bye week.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

If I had to guess, I'm guessing Coach Nuss may be the one in the biggest demand (after Coach Smart) -- so he may get some calls --

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC

I voted Cristobal, because he is a good coach, and he will eventually get a good offer for a head coach. I would think that he would stay another couple of years?? Just a guess. I think that Coach Smart is being paid enough money to keep him away from taking a head coach job for on the job trainig. Like maybe Rutgers, or FAU. I just have a feeling that Coach Smart is being groomed to replace Coach Saban when he retires. But, I also believe that if Georgia came knocking, then he would take the head coach job @ Georgia. Just My Opinion.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

I would bet there are 4-6 jobs out there that CKS would take if offered right now. I expect it would have to be an exceptional program in either good condition or primed to rebound, but I can think of 2 programs looking right now that he'd have to at least think about. And I agree with you bamapuppy: if Georgia called, I can't imagine he'd say no.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I am hoping that CKS is Alabama's secret coach in waiting for when CNS retires. (crimson glasses firmly on)

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Last I checked, Kirby Smart is the highest paid guy in that position of any college football team. He gets pretty good bonuses for post season victories just like (not in amount) Coach Saban does. That being said, he may very well not have the "I want to be a head coach" bug. Some guys enjoy things right where they are, and winning year after year has got to make the choice to stay easier.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

Smart is waiting for the right opportunity. I'm sure Nick Saban's advising Cristobal to make sure his next step is the one that's going to continue his upward rise. The FAU job looks like a step in the wrong direction to me. Plus his next step might be OC or something before another head coaching job. I'm hoping he will give us a few more years on the OL before he moves on. Smart will be hard to replace.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Given how long he's stayed, I don't think Kirby will be the first of this group to leave. He is either still waiting for the perfect job to come open or he still thinks he has something to learn from Saban about running a program.

My guess is Nuss or one of the other coaches will go before Smart.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I mean this as no disrespect toward any of our coaches, cause I hope we keep them all for a few years, but, as long as we keep Coach Cochran, I don't care what other coaches comes or goes..Other than Coach Saban..Coach Cochran is the backbone of "The Process" & I can't imagine The Crimson Tide without Coach Cochran..Dude is that important to our Football Program & to all other sports he helps out with their S&C'ing Programs..

This video still gives me chills no matter how many times I watch it..At the 3:05 mark of the video is exactly why Coach Cochran is so dang awesome y'all..ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!

1Dawn

1st Team
Sep 18, 2009

For me personally, I have always had a bad feeling when Coach Smart interviewed elsewhere at season's end. I especially found a possible AU move last year more than I could bear. He seems like such a great coach and would hate to see him go. I know he has to do what is best for him and his family, but I would really miss him. I also feel the same way about Coach Cochran. I think they are both coaches who show so much enthusiasm! It is nice to the coaches put so much into their job and show it in such an obvious manner on the sidelines.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa

a long time as kirby becomes HC and Cristobal DC after CNS goes to texas at years end? :biggrin:

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.