Trent's slow start is starting to get noticed. I hope he settles in and get its going

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...trade-rb-trent-richardson-making-indy-problem

I'm not sure if Trent's pressing too much or what but his lack of production in Indy is starting to get noticed. I didn't realize Marshall Faulk said what he said about Richardson but I hope Faulk's wrong. I know when they played the Bronco's the announcers said the Colts staff told Trent to stop trying to run over people and use his speed and quickness to gain yards and run around the defenders.

I've only watched him three times since he's become a colt but he just doesn't look like the same runner. Many times it looks like he doesn't have the same vision as he did at Bama. I hope it is just him not being settled in and he can settle in and maybe stop pressing so hard.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The article brings up a good point in that TR had as good an OLine blocking for him, as there can be in college football, that still doesn't take away just how goo a RB TR truly is..If the OLine don't open up hole for the RB's in the NFL, I don't care who the RB is, that RB isn't going to look good at all..A RB can't get by on his talent alone in the NFL..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The article brings up a good point in that TR had as good an OLine blocking for him, as there can be in college football, that still doesn't take away just how goo a RB TR truly is..If the OLine don't open up hole for the RB's in the NFL, I don't care who the RB is, that RB isn't going to look good at all..A RB can't get by on his talent alone in the NFL..

The article said Trent has more talent around him but I don't think that's true. The Colt's Oline isn't any better than the Browns.

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
I mean he thrived in college by making people not want to tackle him. He seemed to love to initiate the contact, and that's something you can't do in the NFL. He is no longer the strongest player on the field anymore. If he doesn't change his running style soon, he will be considered a bust.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've been playing the wait-to-see card on Richardson but if he can't make it work in Indy then he's not going to make it work anywhere in my opinion. He needs to get better in a hurry though because he's not been impressive at all this season.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Watch him, he runs like he doesn't want to get called for that helmet penalty. He runs more vertical, gets knocked backwards instead of forward, and just doesn't seem to have the quickness he once had. Maybe he focuses a little too much in the weight room, like David Boston did?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have watched him quite a bit as a pro, and his problem, if you want to call it that, is that he does not explode through holes. One of the things that made him great at Alabama was his patience. He would pause after getting the ball and move along the line, waiting for a hole to open. In the NFL, you have to anticipate the hole and be in it as it opens. Richardson just isn't seeing the holes in time. Maybe it is because he doesn't know their offense well enough. Maybe he just isn't instinctive enough. Hard to know for sure.

It is a different game, and stars at one level sometimes simply cannot adjust. It would not make Trent any less a player, but it could kill his career. He now plays on a team with explosive play making potential in the passing game. If he can't make explosive plays on the ground, he will eventually become what Ingram is in NO - a short yardage/goal line RB. No shame in that. He willl still make more money in the next few years than I will make in my lifetime no matter how this shakes out. So I will just keep pulling for him and hope for the best, but know that he will be just fine no matter what.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Bama runners get familiar with a zone blocking scheme where they actually pause long enough to read the correct hole. In the NFL it's about explosion. I think both Trent and Mark are having difficulty adjusting. Eddie just lowers his ears and goes full speed ahead. That's why he's getting raves and Trent's getting bashed a bit. Poor Mark is like an outcast in New Orleans. Pathetic.

hotwillz33

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 7, 2012
Watch him, he runs like he doesn't want to get called for that helmet penalty. He runs more vertical, gets knocked backwards instead of forward, and just doesn't seem to have the quickness he once had. Maybe he focuses a little too much in the weight room, like David Boston did?
I agree....he seems a little too thick for a running back. He has progressively gotten bigger and bigger starting his Junior year at Bama. He is very talented as a runner but the game on the pro level is based on precision cuts not running over LB's at the line. Hopefully this off season he will adjust his game.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
From what we've seen, a first round pick on a RB is a waste. Not that the first round Bama players can't contribute, but the same talent can be picked up in later rounds.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
So, could he work on becoming more lean, lose some weight, and gain some speed back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Even at bama I didn't consider him to be all that fast. He is built on power and taking on all would be tacklers. Blowing them up.

He needs to probably work on his quickness and explosion at handoff. He seems to bulky for this imo. To me his FR year size wise was his ideal for what he needs to excel at the NFL. I still remember how explosive he was against ARK and Texas.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, could he work on becoming more lean, lose some weight, and gain some speed back?
Sure he could. He would need to hire a trainer with that type of experience and work on fast twitch/sprinting drills instead of living in the weight room. But I am not sure that he believes that this is the answer - in fact, I am not sure that this is his problem.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
From what I've seen watching Trent in the pros, is that he need to learn more patience. He takes the ball and charges ahead like he did in college relying on he strength to get a few yards. Now the holes aren't as big because the competition is better. In other words, he's playing like a full back. He should set up his blocks a little better.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
I remember after his first big injury at bama, i believe it was an ankle or groin not sure but his running was more hesitant. Lacy actually started looking like the better back until he got dinged up with the toe injury. Maybe it is a result of the injuries both mental and physical. He shows burst through the hole just not to the hole. I'm no coach but most say running the ball is one the easiest parts to pick up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.