Eli Gold calling the Michigan State v Michigan game

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Listening to the game on 92.9 here in Atlanta. I didn't know Eli called other football games besides Alabama.
I was just in my truck and I thought that sounded like Eli! He must do some contract work for ESPN radio. You would think both of these schools would have their own radio for games.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Nothing wrong with Eli earning an extra buck and I understand this is now just a business, but can we not pay a 25 yr announcer/play by play man enough to only call OUR football games? I knew about his nascar involvement, but to hear that our guy is going around the country calling other games, especially collegiate ones, is a little disappointing to me. Guess I'm just old school....

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It sounds like he was doing the Michigan-MSU game as a third party announcer for ESPN, so he isn't really working for another school.

I get what you're saying but he's been doing this for years.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Nothing wrong with Eli earning an extra buck and I understand this is now just a business, but can we not pay a 25 yr announcer/play by play man enough to only call OUR football games? I knew about his nascar involvement, but to hear that our guy is going around the country calling other games, especially collegiate ones, is a little disappointing to me. Guess I'm just old school....
He does hockey, has done some NFL too (may still, not sure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BTW, did you guys see the stats for this game? Michigan held to -48 yards rushing. :eek2:

Michigan ran the ball 22 times for 1 yard, then tack on (or take away) the 7 sacks for -49 yards and you have this disaster.

Makes me smile until I consider the fact that we will have to face MSU in the B1GCG.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
BTW, did you guys see the stats for this game? Michigan held to -48 yards rushing. :eek2:

Michigan ran the ball 22 times for 1 yard, then tack on (or take away) the 7 sacks for -49 yards and you have this disaster.

Makes me smile until I consider the fact that we will have to face MSU in the B1GCG.
That's downright scary. Announcers said they run their base 4-3 the entire game.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Nino's has the best chicken parm I've ever had. If you're around Pelham you ought to try it out.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Last edited:
Thanks. Didn't know that either. Will have to look it up next time I'm headin south.

As JIB suggested above he is always open as to what he is doing on twitter. His latest post an hour ago.

Eli Gold
@EliGoldBama
32m
Heading to the airport here in 31 degree Detroit. Next stop Las Vegas to work for NASCAR's Motor Racing Network until Wed. then Waco, Tx.

He is everywhere! As long as he's in Tuscaloosa, Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
It was so funny. Before the game he was doing an interview with 92.9 here in ATL. At the very beginning of the interview he was trying to find his parking spot. He was lost and you could tell he was distracted. He kept apologizing and said something to the effect of now he knows how fans feel (getting lost, parking issues, etc...) :)

He said he was looking forward to calling the game y'day without any emotional involvement. He made it sound like he gets a little stressed from time to time. Can't relate to that, LOL. I forget how big of a fan he is since he has to keep it pretty professional much of the time. We are fortunate to have him at Alabama.

TiderGreg

Suspended
Nov 27, 2006
He calls a lot of games, probably be somewhere tomorrow for the NFL.
I remember during a rotten season a few years ago which coincided with our abhorrent feelings for the Vols, we found out that Eli had called a game for them. At the time many didn't factor in that it was the radio networks game of the week, just that Eli, the voice of the Tide, was the voice of the enemy for a weekend. I think this was the low point for anti Eli'ism, but the more rational let it be known that Eli not only does other NCAA games, but NFL and of course NASCAR. In other words, he has to make a living! I don't believe Eli would have landed the gig if he put "will not do Tennessee, Auburn or Windows" on his resume! More power to him, he's in demand.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.