The Hot Seat 10 Weeks In

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Nick Saban. Anything less than a National Championship, and it's time to start looking elsewhere!!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Muschamp will probably stay one more year at 6-6; if somehow they lose to Vandy, he's a goner, IMO. I just don't think the PTB in lizardland can tolerate a losing season - too much talent on that team, (injuries and all).

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
Mullen may be fired, then look for Mark Hudspeth to replace him.....
He was on Mullen's staff prior to going to Layayette.
Did a really good job at UNA prior to leaving for MSU.
Surprised he hasn't gotten an opportunity to move up considering what he has done at Layayette.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Will Muschamp will finish the year at either 6-6 or 5-7, depending on how the Vanderbilt game goes, and he will probably end the regular season with an ugly loss, at home, to Florida State. He'll get another year, but he's definitely moving to the hot seat. You can squelch all of that Muschamp-to-Texas talk right now.

Lot hangs in the balance for Les Miles. If he knocks off 'Bama this weekend, he's back on top. OTOH, a loss and they could easily finish up with four or five losses, and with the prospect of returning to horrendous QB play next season. He needs a win this weekend badly, not necessarily to protect his job, but to solidify his standing with the LSU fan base.

Dan Mullen might get the ax if he loses badly again to Ole Miss. Doesn't matter with him, he either gets fired this December or next December.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Mark Richt should have been fired in the third quarter of the Florida game.
In my XBox dynasty, Mark Richt was fired after the 2016 season for failing to achieve goals.
Both of my coordinators become head coaches every year, and the computer hired Mark Richt to be the Bama OC for 2017.
Which was nice, because he came with his OC talent tree completely filled out.
All my previous coordinators were new and could not ever develop during the one season I had them.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
He was on Mullen's staff prior to going to Layayette.
Did a really good job at UNA prior to leaving for MSU.
Surprised he hasn't gotten an opportunity to move up considering what he has done at Layayette.
Hudspeth is still a pretty young guy (44) who doesn't have a tremendous amount of experience in the big leagues. Three solid years as head coach at ULL, but really only about five years total of Division 1-A experience, and that includes two years as a position coach at MSU.

He'll get his chance in due time if he keeps having this level of success at ULL, but I can see why no one has jumped on him just yet.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I actually think Mark Richt could be in trouble if he drops two more games down the stretch (Auburn and Georgia Tech, both losable games at this point given the way UGA is playing). There are few things that get a BCS-level head coach fired more quickly than a hard, fast regression following a fairly successful season (see Mike Shula in 2006, Bill Callahan in 2007, Phil Fulmer in 2008, Mike Sherman in 2011, etc). To finish 7-5 and play in some middling bowl game a year after almost making it to the BCS Title game would fit squarely into this mold, injuries non withstanding.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The only SEC coaches I see on the hot seat are Muschamp and Mullen. As has been said Muschamp gets one more year and MSU is delusional to think they can find a better HC but it won't stop the from trying to find someone, maybe Houston Nutt will come out of retirement. :eek2:

Other notables who may get their pink slips: Charlie Weiss, Mike London, Bo Pellini, Larry Fedora, USM's HC whoever that is, Mike Leach, Paul Rhoades who seems to have backed up the last two years. Probably won't be many top level jobs opening up this year.

CapeHorn

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2012
This is a reach & I have no inside connections just what I think will happen.

Muschamp gets fired & replaces Grantham at GA as defensive coordinator. He will then replace Richt several years later as Ga head coach.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Add Brady Hoke to the mix. IMO....only hope for another year....beating OSU.
Muschamp needs turning, he's starting to char on one side,
Richt is pulling a "Richt".....doing just enough to survive for one more year of underachievment.
Mac Brown's seat has alraedy turned to ashes.
Miss. St. wants to "can" Mullens, but who they gonna get that's any better?
Anybody got anyone else?

:biggrin2:
Vars, hate to say it but I disagree with most of these. I know many Michigan fans, and they are pretty happy with Hoke for the most part. He screwed himself by way overachieving last year, so the bar was unreasonably high for this year. Michigan is actually still very young, and Hoke is just now being able to fill roster spots to fit his system. I think most realistic Michigan fans knew this would be a rebuilding year, and they will cut him some slack. Not only is the team young, but he is putting together a good class, so he will have more time. I doubt he will be on the hot seat period for a couple years unless he bombs against OSU,and then has a huge letdown next year. He should be there for many years to come.

Muschamp's seat may be getting warm, but he shouldn't be roasting yet. He just had them in a BCS game last year, and had them on the verge of an SEC east title this year. UF has been plagued by injuries this year, and they haven't had much of an offense to speak of. If the ship isn't righted by next season, then he might be in trouble, but he should be safe for one more year.

You are spot on about Richt. MR is eternally on the hot seat, and somehow he manages to hang on every year. (He is the college equivalent of the Giant's Tom Coughlin) UGA is another team that has been raped by injuries, and all of their bad losses have come at times when they have been down. He should keep his job even with a bad year this year. However, Richt will continue to do just well enough to keep his job, yet just poorly enough to where the UGA faithful will hate his guts.

Mac Brown has turned this season around for the Shorthorns. The win over Oklahoma seemed to turn his mojo around. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him "forced" into retirement this year, but I think he's done just enough to keep him from getting fired baring a complete meltdown.

Mullen on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I agree that the biggest name coach that will soon be gone will be Pelini. He has done less with more talent than just about anybody in the country. Nebraska should be in contention every year with the defenses and tradition that they have, yet somehow they manage to be nothing more than mediocre. I will be shocked if Pelini is retained beyond this year.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
That could likely happen, but if you recall Pellini was LSU's DC who had no HC experience, not sure if NU wants to go that route again.
May be a stretch, but I wonder if Petrino might get a look. He hasn't done much with WKU this year, but he has a better track record than Pelini did when he got the job.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I'd be curious which SEC schools have had coaches leave of their own volition the most often over the past 10 years. Seems to me it's rare if the firing rate is under 50%, which means of the 14 head coaches we have today probably 7-9 will be fired in the next 5-6 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.