Les Miles likes their matchups

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
"We like the matchup," Miles said, according to a transcript posted on NOLA.com. "We think that we kind of give them some challenges on the perimeter. We got a quarterback, first of all, that can make the throw and several receivers that can get open in space.

"Again, who we're playing, they are a very good team, but we think there is a matchup there that benefits us."

Danny Sheridan also thinks Mettenberger will light us up.

I hope those comments help our secondary focus on what it will take to limit any damage their receiver tandem can do.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
"We like the matchup," Miles said, according to a transcript posted on NOLA.com. "We think that we kind of give them some challenges on the perimeter. We got a quarterback, first of all, that can make the throw and several receivers that can get open in space.

"Again, who we're playing, they are a very good team, but we think there is a matchup there that benefits us."

Danny Sheridan also thinks Mettenberger will light us up.

I hope those comments help our secondary focus on what it will take to limit any damage their receiver tandem can do.
Thanks for the info coach. Now we can prepare even more. Geez, this is like Saban saying, "We feel like we can blitz them up the middle".
Dumb to give away what you perceive to be another teams weakness, but that's ole Les.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I tend to agree with Miles that they have an advantage with their receivers over our corners. Landry and Beckham are very talented. However, I like our match-up at just about every other position. This LSU team may not be quite as formidable as the teams from the last couple of seasons, particularly on defense, but they are perfectly capable of beating any team in the country on the right day. More than any other game we will play this season short of a potential BCSNCG, the turnovers we have made with inferior opponents could really come back to bite us. If we avoid those mistakes, then we should win this game. Otherwise, all bets are off.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Other things Les Miles likes:

Hammers
Palms only clapping
Certainty (certainly)
Grass

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Well, his point is reasonable. Their receives are very good, and our secondary hasn't really been tested since Manziel and Evans. I think it's a tough matchup for us. I still think we win but I also think they will score some points .

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
This LSU team reminds me of Arkansas circa from 2009-2010 - great WRs, a very good QB that can't move and a defense that's not all that great. LSU has a much better RB than Arkansas had, but they're otherwise mirror images to me.

If we can affect the QB we'll be fine. If, like last year, we can't get to him or guard the quick routes when we blitz we'll be in trouble.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, in Les' defense, it's not exactly rocket science. I wouldn't expect him to say yeah, we'll beat Alabama by running it up the middle, or something like that. If Alabama's defense is vulnerable, it is via the air.

But, this can only help in terms of getting the players ready for the game. Alabama's secondary has shown improvement, and a lot of guys have gotten playing time. Logically, one has to assume that the secondary has improved. Having said that, obviously they do have to improve over how they performed against A&M, if Alabama is going to be able to win a championship. Alabama can't count on winning shootouts.

This will be an excellent measuring stick of how the team has progressed, and how much more the team might need to progress.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can't remember if Belue were already out by then or just hobbled, I don't remember, but I know our corner play has gotten better with each game. Miles approach is exactly what I've anticipated all along...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I strongly believe that this is going to be a similar offensive fireworks show to the two big Thursday night games. I don't think either team feels confident in their secondary against the other's WR corp. Alabama has a WR depth advantage (Alabama can pop you with up to 6 guys), LSU has a definite FL+SE perimeter advantage (though they move Beckham and Landry around to get matchups). Both run the ball well enough to force 8-man boxes with perimeter isolation matchups.

Alabama is probably going to need a big number to win this game. We've managed mediocre to poor corner situations in the past by exploiting the lack of balance in teams. LSU is a team with good run-pass balance and those are usually the teams that eat us up when the corner situation is murky. I'm concerned about this game. I just don't want to have a lot of busts early to get LSU rolling. Ideally, Saban can work his magic and get stops early then the offensive players and staff do their job and have a fast start agains LSU for once.

Last edited:

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Thanks for the info coach. Now we can prepare even more. Geez, this is like Saban saying, "We feel like we can blitz them up the middle".
Dumb to give away what you perceive to be another teams weakness, but that's ole Les.
I'm sure Saban is aware of matchup issues. Lester didn't say anything really.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I can't remember if Belue were already out by then or just hobbled, I don't remember, but I know our corner play has gotten better with each game. Miles approach is exactly what I've anticipated all along...
I was thinking Belue got hurt during the A&M game, maybe in the 3rd QTR.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, Les didn't really say much that wasn't obvious on tape. It wasn't like he said: "we're going to get in twin-slot i-form and use a lot of smash combos to exploit some weaknesses we see."

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This LSU team reminds me of Arkansas circa from 2009-2010 - great WRs, a very good QB that can't move and a defense that's not all that great. LSU has a much better RB than Arkansas had, but they're otherwise mirror images to me.

If we can affect the QB we'll be fine. If, like last year, we can't get to him or guard the quick routes when we blitz we'll be in trouble.
I hadn't thought of it but now that you mention it I can see the similarities. I'm wondering if maybe we go with more disguised blitzes and defensive changes after it's too late for them to change their play.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Our D-Line and LB's have to get pressure on him. He can't throw if he's laying on his back, and even if we don't sack him often, push the pocket and pressure him.
This has been one of our shortcomings all year. If Mettenberger is not pressured, harassed and hurried, I do not think we will win because IMO they have the advantage in their receivers versus our corners. Also IMO our defense will have to win this game.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
This is an obvious statement. What is he going to say..."I don't like our chances".

But if we get in the head of Mettenberger, then he won't light us up. Lately he has been making mistakes. So I think he peaked earlier in the season.

I don't think our defense will have to win us this game. LSU doesn't have the defense of the last two seasons. Our offense will win this game, IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.