Texas hires new AD

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
An interesting aspect of the hiring of the Arizona AD has been the handling of WV's Oliver Luck. Apparently Luck interviewed for the position but wasn't chosen. No problem there... but Texas made public the fact that Luck was interviewed but not chosen. I thought decorum for this type of interview is that names of people who weren't selected aren't published. Or, allow the non-selectees to "withdraw their name from consideration" prior to announcement of the selectee.

As things stand, Luck's situation at WV has to be a bit more tenuous since the WV faithful now know Luck is open to job-hunting. 'Course, being in WV, that oughta' be a given... but still...

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
This stuff about what Sexton is alleged to have said in an email is old, old, stuff, despite ESPN's deciding to resurrect it at this point when the spotlight is on Bama/LSU and on Saban. Not everyone at ESPN loves Saban. We're not going to give the rerun of old stuff a new spotlight by continuing to discuss it and I'll delete as necessary...
Thank you! Spot on!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I have no dog in this fight. Whether Saban goes to Texas or stays at Alabama makes no difference to me - either we are playing against hs teams or we are recruiting against him.

I have no inside information but I know the mentality of the Longhorns. I hope you guys have very deep pockets, because they will be going after the best coach money can buy and Saban has to be on that short list.
Your fan base may have more reason for concern than we do.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am a fan of Alabama!! Not of a employee of the University
I'm both. I imagine most fans are too.

I'm surprised to see someone admit they're not a Bear Bryant fan, but to each his own.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I saw the article on Al.com last night and knew immediately the interwebz would be cooking. What gets me is the timing of it and the fact that there is no quote from Sexton nor is there anything from CNS, just the same old bull from January. I'm more curious of the timing of the article, why LSU week and not Ga. St. week? I am tired of the same old National Inquirer type of reporting. Geebus, can we give this a new look at least.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Oliver Luck may be in the market for a new job, let's see West Virginia native, experienced AD wonder if there is a university with an AD who may be a short timer?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
ESPN is doing nothing, but stirring the pot. ESPN and Texas want to create enough animous here that Saban will want to leave. The fact is there is nothing in Texas he doesn't or can't have here. In fact the facilities here in Tuscaloosa are probably better than theirs. It is also a fact there is more tradition here and more history. My impression is that Saban wants create his own legacy by winning more championships than anyone in the history of the game. He can not do that at Texas if he has to rebuild another team. It will be years 3 or 4 before he is competing for championships again, plus the big 12 or whatever it is this week is a weak conference. Do you really see him leaving for a lesser conference?

With that being said, we have zero control over Coach Saban's decision. He has to do what he feels is best for him. I don't want him to leave, but I won't lose any sleep over it if he does. He has given us at least 3 championships we would not have had without him. I personally think he'll end his career here. Everyone has to realize he is by far the best coach in college football and there will be suitors every year for his services.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Oliver Luck may be in the market for a new job, let's see West Virginia native, experienced AD wonder if there is a university with an AD who may be a short timer?
That thought occurred to me also. Stranger things have happened. I like Bill Battle, but I've thought ever since he was hired that he's just a place-holder.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Unless Coach Saban makes the decision to leave and go elsewhere, I don't see any point in talking about this. This has become pretty much deadhorse material.
Yup, time to talk about the new Texas AD and not about CNS. I suspect the only reason this thread exists is to back into another CNS-to-ut discussion based on a shorthorn sportswriter's post from stuff that allegedly happened almost a year ago...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
what's also lost in all this is that texas is 6-2 and undefeated in the big whatever. will they fire mack if he wins the league and goes to a BCS bowl? if he goes 9-3 and wins a major bowl?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
what's also lost in all this is that texas is 6-2 and undefeated in the big whatever. will they fire mack if he wins the league and goes to a BCS bowl? if he goes 9-3 and wins a major bowl?
He could and Texas would probably fire him if they have the hot hired gun ready to replace him. Texas is almost as delusional as Auburn but on a much (much, much) bigger scale.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I live near Houston and one of my best friends is a big UT fan. I posed the same question to him; he says the general message board sentiment is that Mack needs to go regardless. My point was that if Mack decides to stay and they win 9-10 games, it is very difficult to fire a NC winning head coach after a good season and not catch some flak for it. The barn fired Chizik after a few bad seasons, but Nebraska is probably the next best example. They had unrealistic expectations and fired a very good coach after a solid season...if I remember correctly, they haven't won a conference (or national) title since then.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Here's the main issue with the Texas job. If Mack keeps things going, and wins the Big 12, firing him would send a message to any future coach that you're coming there with insanely high expectations.

Is Mack going to win the Big 12? Probably not, we'll know more after this week. Clearly though, his team has improved after 5 lackluster weeks. If Texas goes out and beats West Virginia, and Oklahoma can find a way to beat Baylor, Texas moves into the drivers seat. As it stands now though, in the very least Mack seems to be averting the type of season that typically gets NC winning coaches fired.

For example, Saban went 7-6 in his first year at Alabama. Any coach moving into a position knowing that they fired a coach that went to two national championship games after an 8 or 9 win season has to feel like no more than a hired gun. A coach wants to feel like they can earn the loyalty of a program and I think that's the issue here. Mack went to two national championship games, and won one. I would think his argument is that he's one of the all time greats at Texas and has earned the benefit of a doubt.

Personally, I do think Mack has kind of lost his way, but the entire Big 12 has lost their way. Stoops doesn't seem to be all that far ahead, and consider this, the undefeated Big 12 team as of right now wouldn't even make a four team playoff. So, any coach moving to the Big 12 is stepping on to a sinking ship.

We'll see how this plays out, but if Mack is indeed gone after this year, the best move for all parties is probably to try and bring in a young, promising coach and see if he can get things going. If he fails, it won't be too hard to run him out of town, and if he succeeds, then Texas can keep him around for a few decades.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.