JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
LSU preview: Tigers looking to play the spoiler role in T-Town
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 6th, 2013 01:22 PM

For the entirety of Nick Saban’s tenure as Alabama head coach, the Alabama-LSU game has held special meaning, and not just because Saban used to coach in Baton Rouge. . Almost every year the two teams have met, something important has been on the line […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Great read Jess. I to think it will be a close one as usual. I'm predicting a higher score. I think 38-34 will be the end result. My heart tells me Alabama will win by at least the point spread but my mind keeps saying "You know better." LOL!

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Jess, can you go I depth a bit more about the OL vs DL match ups (I saw that you gave us both categories) and the DB vs WR match ups? It seems to me if we can control both lines, we win by a bit bigger margin. But, with our secondary having lapses, the scores should be higher for both. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess, can you go I depth a bit more about the OL vs DL match ups (I saw that you gave us both categories) and the DB vs WR match ups? It seems to me if we can control both lines, we win by a bit bigger margin. But, with our secondary having lapses, the scores should be higher for both. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...
*OL/DL -- Alabama holds a bigger edge with its OL vs. LSU DL, in my opinion, than the other half of the matchup (Tide DL/LSU OL). LSU's defensive ends have been lackluster up to this point, haven't made a lot of plays. It really comes down to whether Arie K. or Steen can go one-up with Anthony Johnson and keep him contained. If Alabama does that, it won't be close. But if Johnson shows up ready to give 100%, which he doesn't always do, he can cause big problems, particularly if he's lined up over the gap between LG and C. Ferguson is going to be productive but I wouldn't call him a game changer. Going the other way, I think Alabama can attack LSU's right tackle and center. The problem for UA is both guards are stout. Alabama will have to pick blitz spots and hope Cameron hasn't guessed correctly on protection assignments.

* DB/WR -- Beckham and Landry are average to just a tick above in terms of height (5'11" and 6'1"). Neither guy is particularly thick. Alabama's blind spot the last couple of years is defending the 6'4", 225 guys. Assuming Belue can take one of them out of the game the way he's done everyone else this year, I feel good about the other side because Alabama can roll the Star that way. I mentioned it in the article already but I'm really confused by how ineffective LSU's depth players have been this year. Kadron Boone should have 3x the catches he's got now, if not more. The tight end is almost a dead route. Unless LSU is sitting on a secret playbook, I'm not expecting much to be different, in which case Alabama can feel good about dropping J.Williams or Smith down on the slot route and rolling the other safeties to the out routes and forcing Mettenberger to make difficult throws. He does have the arm for it, however, and if he's on his game like he was last year, Beckham and Landry aren't going to lose many battles.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I'm expecting this game to really be determined by how well we protect the football and how good we are on special teams play. If we drive the length of the field only to turn the ball over, it will hurt, and if we consistantly get pinned inside the 5 yd. line, it can be a long evening. I think both teams will be ready and come out snot slinging mad.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'm expecting this game to really be determined by how well we protect the football and how good we are on special teams play. If we drive the length of the field only to turn the ball over, it will hurt, and if we consistantly get pinned inside the 5 yd. line, it can be a long evening. I think both teams will be ready and come out snot slinging mad.
Hope we don't come out that way. 2011 saw too much energy which stifled Bama. They seemed a lot more calm, poised, and effecient in the BCSCG. I look for that this year...a methodical bloodletting.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Good article overall. However at the end you only mention how Alabama may have trouble stopping LSU in offense. I feel like LSU will have more trouble stooping Alabama based on how they struggled with UGA and Ole Siss. That and that out defense has overall been better this season. Now my biggest concern is that because this is Alabama, ZM will try and force a lot of throws that he otherwise normally wouldn't. Overall I just see him taking more chances which would hurt Alabama the more than anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Jess,

I hope your right in the WIN, but wrong in the score even though I'll take a one point win.

Hopefully, this will NOT be a heart stopper. I like good games when other teams play. I like massacres when Alabama plays anyone.
That helps the heart and keeps me out of my cardiologist office.

So, here's hoping it's at least a 3+ TD win.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Excellent write up Jess. I hope you are right in that we win, but wrong in the point differential, lol. I don't know if I can handle a nail biter! Thanks also for taking the time to go even more in depth on the OL/DL and WR/DB match-ups.

YellowhammerLA

3rd Team
Jan 14, 2007
As always, great analysis, Jess. You're definitely right about Hill being a scary back.

I think the line is as high as it is for a reason. Last year saw McCarron underachieve for most of the game while Mettenberger played over his head.

This year A.J. has more weapons while Mett has a new coordinator, but issues with protection. I'm anticipating a return to form on both their parts and thus a substantial differential in terms of productivity.

If Bama gets a special teams or defensive score, which is highly likely, this one just isn't close.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.