News Article: Coach Nick Saban...'I'm totally committed to the University of Alabama’

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Sounds to me like he needs to find a new agent.
Sounds to me like an agent looking out for his clients interest. The agent is gaining leverage for a nice pay bump for Coach Saban, which is exactly what an agent is supposed to do...test the market, get leverage, ...and then cash his percentage of the Clients new, bigger check.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
Sounds to me like an agent looking out for his clients interest. The agent is gaining leverage for a nice pay bump for Coach Saban, which is exactly what an agent is supposed to do...test the market, get leverage, ...and then cash his percentage of the Clients new, bigger check.
As a business woman I understand that but he also needs an agent he can trust not to create distractions. Sexton may have only had that one conversation with Texas and never mentioned it again. But it sounded to me as if he was the one saying that Texas was the only other school Saban would leave Alabama for.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/11/alabama_nick_saban_texas_repor.html

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Have to mention "The Process" again, which depends on the creditability of the head coach , Nick Saban. He has said enough recently that would totally compromise his integrity if he made a lateral move. As one of the few that was vocal about sensing Fran was going to bolt as far back as the LSU game, I can tell you that unless Coach Saban has gone insane, he's not going anywhere.
This is the most important reason, IMHO, why CNS will not leave. If you saw the 60 Minutes piece, he was quite contrite regarding the statement in Miami, acknowledging that he wished he hadn`t said it and that it damaged his personal credibility. I just can`t see him doing that again. Matter of fact, if he left now, because of what he`s said about staying at Alabama, it would make the Miami statements look like school boy fibs.

RMRJMR

Scout Team
Dec 29, 2008
Madison, AL
Sexton didn't bring all this hoopla into the headlines recently. That is all on ESPN. And "job shopping" is not the only thing an agent does for a coach. He also entertains endorsement deals before presenting to his clients. So everyone needs to back off and let Coach handle Jimmy Sexton if he feels there is a problem.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If Sexton is the problem then CNS needs to have a sit down with him and explain that he is not to say anything that will perpetuate even the remote possibility that he would consider leaving Alabama.
It seems to me that this may have been what happened and it backfired. We are talking about events almost a year old. Back shortly after it all went down, Saban treated it, publicly and truthfully, by saying he and Terry had considered "other opportunities," but had decided to stay at Bama. In particular, he said that Terry was happy in Tuscaloosa. It was a open secret that the opportunities were UT and a pro team. End of story. Not quite. Months later, the embattled Regent lets it out that he had conversations with Sexton - far more detail than known or rumored to date. The rumor mill continues to churn along. Now, for the hypothesis - Saban calls Sexton and says "fix it." Sexton scratches his head and finally lets an email be leaked in which he says that UT would have been the only place Saban would have left Bama for, still referring to the events of 11+ months ago. Instead of fixing the problem, it's red meat for the sports news outlets - "breaking news!," etc., knowing that the big game coming up will give their speculations big play. Saban then issues another affirmation of his intention to stay put. At this point, nothing that Saban or Sexton can say will stop the speculation. It's just a hopeless situation. Above all, Saban can't utter "I will not be the head coach at the University of Texas." That would be seen as confirmation that he will. I expect both Saban and Sexton to remain silent and wait for it to blow over...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
None of us are guaranteed tomorrow much less what could happen next year to a coach. I know everyone's a little gun shy when it comes to coaches, Fran, Mike Price and so on, but what can any of us do about it? What is worrying going to do about it? Nothing.

The truth is we have a coach that every school in the country would love to have and is jealous of and I would be insulted if no other school or pro team had not gauged coach Saban about how happy he was here or not. And he would be rude as hell not to listen to their questions especially if they are major players in the business because he can never say never just as we can't either. To much can happen to say never as we have all witnessed in the past.

But that is a far cry from saying he is looking to leave Bama! Its just the nature of the beast/business! ROLL TIDE!!!

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I have a feeling people will be wanting him to coach their team.....until the day he dies. Imagine the phone calls he will receive whenever he announce his retirement.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If he leaves, he leaves. I hope when he does that the program is not one that will need to be rebuilt. Is CNS bigger than Alabama Football? No. He will just be one in a list of successful coaches at the University. There are other "good " coaches that would jump ship for this program now that the ship is sailing a full steam. I would like him to stay, but I'm not going trade in my Bama stuff just because he makes a decision to leave.

Now you have to look at this also. He has admitted on National TV that he made a mistake in the way he handled the situation when he left the 'Phins. His recent "I'm Committed to Alabama" is being read by others on the UT boards as "Committed during the Season". So they still think they are in the running. Would you as a Texas recruit "trust" CNS if he has makes the same mistake that he made when he left the 'Phins? Would you "Trust" him as a fan?

I personally think he is concerned about his integrity because of what he teaches the players and that he will retire at Bama. What type of "Pressure" could he have at Alabama?

Bottom line is that I believe this an attempt by the Press to distract the players from taking care of business this weekend. It only works on Chicken Little type people and Storm troopers of course.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It seems to me that this may have been what happened and it backfired. We are talking about events almost a year old. Back shortly after it all went down, Saban treated it, publicly and truthfully, by saying he and Terry had considered "other opportunities," but had decided to stay at Bama. In particular, he said that Terry was happy in Tuscaloosa. It was a open secret that the opportunities were UT and a pro team. End of story. Not quite. Months later, the embattled Regent lets it out that he had conversations with Sexton - far more detail than known or rumored to date. The rumor mill continues to churn along. Now, for the hypothesis - Saban calls Sexton and says "fix it." Sexton scratches his head and finally lets an email be leaked in which he says that UT would have been the only place Saban would have left Bama for, still referring to the events of 11+ months ago. Instead of fixing the problem, it's red meat for the sports news outlets - "breaking news!," etc., knowing that the big game coming up will give their speculations big play. Saban then issues another affirmation of his intention to stay put. At this point, nothing that Saban or Sexton can say will stop the speculation. It's just a hopeless situation. Above all, Saban can't utter "I will not be the head coach at the University of Texas." That would be seen as confirmation that he will. I expect both Saban and Sexton to remain silent and wait for it to blow over...
I appreciate this info & I'm trying to think it through.

In theory: Sexton feels out UT's interest in Saban. The regent approaches Brown, who says he's not going anywhere. Nothing comes of it, end of story, except for embarrassing details to trickle out. If this is accurate, I'm glad Brown was stubborn about not leaving.

Sounds logical, but I'm having a little trouble thinking that's what happened. If Saban is too damn old to change jobs, why let Sexton rock the boat?

I've concluded Saban is a complex person and can be hard to fathom. For example, I saw a story that said he was too busy to watch the 60 Minute segment on him and Bama. I can't imagine being covered in an extensive national news clip like that, working with them making it over several weeks, and not watching it. Only Saban would have the self discipline or disinterest enough to skip seeing it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Man, this just isn't a worthwhile story but leave it up to today's media to make it one.

As an Alabama fan... I don't care. Period. Nick Saban has built this program into heights thought to be unreachable by any program. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine this was possible. And it goes so far beyond the winning.

I happen to believe Nick Saban is a great man. Perfect? Of course not. I love his approach to life, and in fact I try to implement it myself the best I can. I believe he's earned his place in Alabama's rich history. He's given me and my generation our Coach Bryant. I'd love to see him retire from Alabama (and fully expect him to) but if he doesn't, we simply need to not screw up the next HC hire. He has built such a solid foundation.

So, I just simply don't care about all this year old drama. I appreciate you and what you do and have done, Coach Saban. Roll Tide.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I appreciate this info & I'm trying to think it through.

In theory: Sexton feels out UT's interest in Saban. The regent approaches Brown, who says he's not going anywhere. Nothing comes of it, end of story, except for embarrassing details to trickle out. If this is accurate, I'm glad Brown was stubborn about not leaving.

Sounds logical, but I'm having a little trouble thinking that's what happened. If Saban is too damn old to change jobs, why let Sexton rock the boat?

I've concluded Saban is a complex person and can be hard to fathom. For example, I saw a story that said he was too busy to watch the 60 Minute segment on him and Bama. I can't imagine being covered in an extensive national news clip like that, working with them making it over several weeks, and not watching it. Only Saban would have the self discipline or disinterest enough to skip seeing it.
I think the regent has said that he was the one to call Sexton first and that's one of the reasons he's in hot water now...

Sano

1st Team
Oct 30, 2006
NYC
Would not be awesome if CNS comes out and fires Sexton the next day... probably, even then, i dont think this will ever stop...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think the regent has said that he was the one to call Sexton first and that's one of the reasons he's in hot water now...
Thankyou for that clarification. From my perspective, it makes a big difference. Sexton making the call implies Saban is job shopping. The regent making the call... well join the club, what school doesn't want Saban?

With that, I think I understand what happened, and why it's an absolute non-story. I didn't think I wanted to know the details, now that I do, everything's good.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
I expect both Saban and Sexton to remain silent and wait for it to blow over...
This will get blown back up big time as soon as the season is over. It's getting airplay now only because Bama-LSU are big headlines and this story can attach itself to it. It's all the rage in Texas at the moment and Mack has to be like, what is going on here? He has Texas in the drivers seat for a Big XII title and all they talk about is running him out of Austin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.